Destined for fatness.

Options
2»

Replies

• jfatheree78
    jfatheree78 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I think I understand what you are saying. Like you, I have been overweight most of my life and I have a hard time seeing myself at a healthy, normal weight. I kind of feel like I was just made to be big. My grandmother and mother were both obese women so it seems natural that I would be, too. That being said, I am really excited to see where this journey will take me and see what I will look like. I'm already seeing some changes, but not enough to make a real difference.
    It is really difficult to see your thinner friends eat whatever foods they like while we struggle to eat as healthy as possible and still look the way we do. It will be worth it though when we reach our goals.
    Best of luck to you, and I look forward to seeing the healthier, fitter you!
  • Givingitagdgo
    Options
    Felt exactly the same way but I figure just take baby steps. I realised today that Im 10lbs down and while that doesnt seem like much in light of the mimnimum 100lbs I need to lose its 1/10th of the way there which is way less scary. We werent born this way so I have to believe its possible to get into the right side of the BMI although there's nothing wrong with being a bit over if its how you're built. If you want to add me feel free, keep us updated.
    xx
  • luvssc
    luvssc Posts: 3
    Options
    You can do it!!! I think it is mind over matter!! You have to be in th emindset. So, look check step 1 off you joined. That's progress!! Right? :)::happy:
  • melaniealedgerwood
    Options
    Hi buddy,
    I'm a mom and a grandma. I'd love to give you a little moral support in the way of life experience.
    My daugher, who is 32, was born with a rare genetic error. Her diagnosis is Prader-Willi Syndrome. You google it. Man it's a killer. Literally.
    Basically, she got a double whammy! People with this disorder have damage in their hypothalmus - the place in our brain that sends satiety messages. They are never full. The brain just keeps telling them they are hungry. Add to that, a very slow metabolism, early onset osteoporosis and all sorts of learning disabilities. Life is frustrating with this disease.
    HERE'S THE GOOD NEWS! She, unlike many folks with this disease, is not obese. Living in a healthy environment, with a diet that is strictly monitored, she stays active with a little help from me and a caregiver. She eats under 1200 calories a day.
    She's usually happy. (That was not always the case though).
    The point is - it's not impossible to be trim and healthy. You have to decide what you want you life to look like.
    God created you perfectly! You CAN do it. You are not destined for fatness. You are destined for good health and a fun future!
    Blessings...
  • DaSavedSinner
    DaSavedSinner Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You Sound like me....Well the old me. If you look at my ticker below I can assure you I was out of control and when I started dieting the first thing I said to my wife was "this will never work" that as you can see was over 130lbs ago. Its a new life completely, You don't get healthier by just dieting, once your weight goes down you start building a lot of good things such as Self control, self confidence, self respect, but you notice those all start with self.....as in ONLY you can get yourSELF into the place you want to be. I was a guy that used to eat anything and everything I have been over 300lbs since I was in Middle school, eating meals that would double or triple my DAILY intake today. I had no confidence, control, energy, health, or respect for myself but in 8 months I am where i am now, and that is proof that even the most out of control eating lifestyle can change into a healthier happier you.

I started this journey knowing I was going to fail....So in all fairness I should have. But after that first week I dropped 10lbs and I asked God for the strength and focus to keep going. I did, and I will continue it not just for myself but for people like you that need the push to get themselves to take control of the life they have and turn it into the life that they desire. If not for yourself you can always think of the family and friends that care for you and think of the praise they will give for the new you. I love going places and running into people that don't recognize me, including people I have known my entire life. I used to be bad diabetic, 4+ shots of insulin, max dose of Pill for diabetes and high blood pressure, NOT anymore, I no longer take any meds for diabetes or High blood pressure. You can do it and you will do it, you just have to take the steps in the right direction. I am sure many here will agree with me that getting on MFP was your first large step to the new you. If you ever need an inspiration just look me up, I want to see you be able to have my story as your own and you have the story to tell that inspires others to take control of their food, their health, their LIFE. If you need a friend on MFP there are many that would be glad to inspire you, including myself. So remember, It is better to try and Fail then to Fail because you never tried. Today is only tomorrow's yesterday, You must learn from yesterday, work on today, and plan for a healthier tomorrow.

God Bless you my friend and I wish you the best.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Nobody is destined to be fat. BMI is one tool and not the be all end all of fitness. You can do this. Calories in vs calories out. If you want that big mac, eat it if it fits in your calories. Lots of great people with good advice here. You said you go to the gym. Lift heavy. Increase weights. Watch utube videos for form. Enjoy the ride. Its soooo worth it.
  • DaSavedSinner
    DaSavedSinner Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Im not going to lie. Its difficult for me to get my head around. Your circle of friends have a little chuckle when you go for the healthy option and they're rocking the Big Mac meal.

Trust me the little chuckle is way worth it on the day they are in shock that you are giving them advice on what they thought was not possible....I am proof of that. The feeling of your friends looking at you in better health than them is a funny one, but at the same time they might get inspired to join you and take the step to improve their health too.
    But im ready for this, I know I am.

Yes you are, so do it!
  • EAlexandraB
    EAlexandraB Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    So ive always done exercise but as stupid as it sounds maybe im scared to leave the old me behind. The funny fat guy whos great for a laugh and a beer.

I think this is the root of your problem. Remember that you can still be the same guy, just in a smaller package - start thinking of yourself as the "funny guy who's good for a laugh and a beer," and delete the "fat" part! :)

I think it's pretty normal when on this type of journey to worry about leaving the old "you" behind, and losing the things you love about your life in the process. (I tend to think that this is why people tend to cling to their old, "bad" eating habits or sedentary lifestyle, even in the midst of trying to change their weight.) But I DON'T think that losing weight has to mean the end of your current identity. Those who are most successful in this game adapt their identities to include eating well and being active. So, I'd advise you to tell yourself (literally out loud - it sounds stupid, but it works!) that you are a funny, FIT guy, who lives a healthy and active lifestyle, and is good for a laugh and a beer. :D

The other element that plays into the "destined for fatness" feeling that so many people (myself included, in the past) experience is a serious fear of failure. We all worry that we'll make all the right choices, totally change our lives, and...nothing. That's why I'm a strong advocate of having *lifestyle* goals, and having weight loss goals be secondary. If you aim to change the way you eat for the better and to be more active, you can succeed at those things regardless of the speed with which you lose weight. The weight WILL come off, but by focusing on other goals, you won't get hung up on "fatness." Make goals for your workouts, for your nutrition, etc. Meet those, and the weight will more than likely take care of itself!

Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like!
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    You can be destined for whatever you choose to be destined for.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Your only Destined for fatness mentally. Its all in your head personally. Go see a weight loss counselor. I think if you had the right mindset and tools you can lose as much weight as you want.
  • jimbo2180
    jimbo2180 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to write this as just a little thank you. I've read everyone one of the comments and they've really hit home. I'm quite shocked at the support given with little evidence that I actually want to change. Looking at the ticker below I have no recorded weight loss. Things like this can tell you a lot about the community as a whole obviously minor a few of the *kitten* holes of course. The last couple of days have been really good for me, I've felt better as person, and I've felt better about what I've been eating and seeing my food as a life style change than a diet. I've also spoken to the mother about it and she's fully on board too and will help me out when and as often as I need it. All and all I'm really chuffed with the good words I've received so far and I’ll be throwing out some friend requests to the people who've really helped to open my eyes.

Thanks guys! and thank you MFP!
  • tempest501
    tempest501 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Dont give up man, Never give up.

Also do not do this for anyone else but you. Don't let yourself be bothered by anyone else's opinion as the only one that counts is yours. When it comes to your health and well being you can be as selfish as you like=D

Don't let anyone tell you cant lose the weight and dont let yourself fall into the trap of "its my genetics" or "I am just big boned". If you do you will always struggle with your goals. You are AMAZING and you have the POTENTIAL to fulfill anything you choose too.

Something that is really helping me is intermittent fasting it can turn your body into a lean mean fat burning machine lol, I have been doing it for a week and lost 2.5% bodyfat. You can read about it at www.leangains.com. There is a guy on youtube called lowcarbcory that has lots of usefull info too.

If you like you can add me as friend and if you need help or support I will gladly give it. When I am feeling low you can even return the favor =D

Remember YOU are Amazing and you can achieve anything you want with determination and willpower.
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    Okay I've never actually been overweight but I can understand where you're coming from. I've always been very very hard on myself about my weight. My mother always had something to say about someones weight and even though (at the time) it wasn't about me -it still hurt. We'd pass smaller girls in a store or the mall and she'd make a comment about how pretty they were. I'm 5'2" and at the time I was between 120-125 lbs and it made me feel like a cow. I dreamed of being thin and beautiful like others girls so my mother would talk about ME like that (It never happened). I struggle with food everyday BUT I joined MFP because I need to see food in a healthier way. Sure, I want to be thin and lovely, but more than that - I want to be healthy. I may never be stick thin and look fabulous walking through a store, but I WILL get myself healthy and feel fabulous :) We're all here to support and motivate you, you can do this!