In need of GOOD tasting gluten free tortillas.

Options
I need a few suggestions for gluten free tortillas, store bought or home made. I bought some corn tortillas and they were ABSOLUTELY disgusting, I couldn't choke them down even if I were starving to death, they were that bad. Any an all help would be appreciated!

Replies

• HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Try making corn tortillas at home, from a mix or from scratch. I bought a big bag of corn torilla mix for under ten bucks. Unfortunately I haven't found any gluten-free tortillas in my area...white/wheat both have gluten here. :(
  • cheetosandburritos
    cheetosandburritos Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have heard Trader Joe's has some gluten free brown rice tortillas, but I've never tried them. They have to be better than corn though. I agree, corn tortillas are awful.
  • kitchensync
    kitchensync Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You can make them with coconut flour:

Paleo Coconut Flour Tortilla

5 tbsp Coconut flour (heaping)
    6 Egg whites (save the yolks)
    1/8 tsp Baking powder
    3 tbsp Coconut milk or water
    Fat for frying (coconut oil)

Here's where I got my recipe:

http://www.mypaleolife.com/paleo-diet-recipes/paleo-coconut-flour-tortillas
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the taste of store bought ones, but I've only tried Food For Life brand. Only problem I have with it, is it is hard and cracks when you roll it. I buy big bags of Masa Harina at a health food store nearby that is made of ground corn and I believe lime. You just mix with water (and salt if you want) and roll it out and fry it. It's kind of like instant pancake mix. Once cooked, you can even cut them into quarters and fry/bake to make corn chips.
    I'm pretty sure you can buy Masa online too.
  • indyrunning
    indyrunning Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Do you have to eat gluten free because of celiac or by choice? I just wonder how flexible you are about your choices.
  • teinepalagi
    teinepalagi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Here I LOVE corn tortillas. Having some tonight. Are you making sure you're heating them up properly? Like on a comal? Or just use any flat non-stick skillet......earthenware is the best.

If you eat them just out of the bag, they crumble and taste like cr*p. Try heating them up first and see if that helps. Otherwise I am useless....I have no recipes for you. But I'm pretty sure I'd hate rice flour tortillas. Ugh.
  • lisao62
    lisao62 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The best gluten free tortillas we have had are la tortilla factory teff wheat tortillas. Trader Joes rice tortillas are very difficult to work with, they break very easily. I always heat gluten free tortillas for 20 seconds in the microwave to soften a bit before trying to wrap something. The teff wheat wraps are expensive, 4.99 for 6 but they are very good. I can only find them at Big Y supermarket.
  • twaltemade
    twaltemade Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My wife is gluten intolerant so I feel your pain...we moved to corn tortillas a few months ago. I have to ask...are you eating them cold or directly from the package? Mission corn tortillas and most of the corn tortillas are not that bad as long as you warm them up in a frying pan sprayed with Pam. I actually try to get them to brown a little before I remove them.

If you try to eat them directly from the package...you are in for a bad meall.

PLEASE NOTE THAT NOT ALL CORN TORTILLAS ARE GLUTEN FREE...You will need to read every label closely.
  • abeachlady
    abeachlady Posts: 88
    Options
    Mission brand makes a good GF corn tortilla. La Tortilla Factory makes good GF wraps. Both my daughter and granddaughter have celiac, and like both tortillas.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I have heard Trader Joe's has some gluten free brown rice tortillas, but I've never tried them. They have to be better than corn though. I agree, corn tortillas are awful.
    those are awful. i've tried several times and they fall apart. taste wise they arent bad, but what i end up doing is jut cutting them up, brushing on a little oil and seasoning and baking them into tortilla chips
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    la tortillia factory... they are really good!
  • Loriallyn54
    Options
    I have heard that making them with almond flour works and it's no carbs and pure protein. If you are interested I can post the recipe!
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Do you have to eat gluten free because of celiac or by choice? I just wonder how flexible you are about your choices.

I don't have celiacs, well at least my test came back negative, but even after making huge changes in my diet, I am still having consistent symptoms that are typically seen in people who have celiacs or a gluten intolerance. I have to go gluten free and record all my symptoms before and after too see if any of them are alleviated, but to do that you have to be completely gluten free for up to a few weeks before symptoms can go away.
  • Loriallyn54
    Options
    Here is a wonderful website to try as well. http://www.elanaspantry.com/
  • janessafantasma
    Options
    la tortillia factory... they are really good!

I will try those ones outs, they are super cheap at my local grocery store. I live in a small city in North Dakota and we are pretty limited when it comes to grocery stores. We have a couple independent and awesome health markets but they are SO expensive its hard to shop there on a college student budget.
  • janessafantasma
    Options
    I have heard that making them with almond flour works and it's no carbs and pure protein. If you are interested I can post the recipe!

Any and all recipes are welcome! Thank you.
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has rice tortillas that I like. Heating up corn tortillas helps a lot. I used to *HATE* corn tortillas but in the past year I've gotten quite fond of them. Udi's might have some tortillas. I also suggest making your own, check the GF food blogs.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Carmen's makes a stellar corn tortilla. I fry mine for just a minute in olive oil to moisten them up and keep them pliant. Not the low-fat way to do it, but if you drain them off it's not that horrible. They taste great after that, too.
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I actually don't mind the trader joe's ones. My trick is to put the tortilla on a plate, get a damp paper towel and lay it over the whole tortilla, then nuke it in the microwave for 30 seconds or so. They come out much more pliable and softer...the damp towel sort of steams them.