avocado ive never tasted one

Options
Although I've just bought one and have no idea how to use it ... I'm not even sure if its cooked or eaten raw :-./

any ideas or recipes appreciated :D

Replies

• nevr2L8
    nevr2L8 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love them. Guacamole is a great way to eat one, or eat it raw by itself
  • myownadvice
    myownadvice Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is to make sure it is ripe before you try and eat it. You want it to feel soft (almost to the point of squishy) before you cut it up. You will want to cut it in half but beware that there is a large pit in the middle that you will need to cut around. It is easiest to remove the "meat" of the avocado with a spoon once you have it in half. You do not use the skin at all!

I think raw is best but I have had slices on a veggie pizza that was pretty good. I like to make guacomole with it but you can just slice it and spread it on crackers, toast, add to a sandwich, etc. I recommend a little salt to add flavor but that's just me.

My Guacamole recipe: 4 ripe avocados-cut into cubes, add salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic, dash of tabasco, 1/4 tspn lemon juice (to keep it from turning black), you can add salsa or cut up tomatos/onions, mix together and eat with tortilla chips, veggies, or on pretty much any kind of Mexican food.

Hope this helps! Good luck.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's supposed to be squishy like a pear. Yours is most likely rock hard unless you got the 'extra special' range which are pre ripened.

Make sure it's ripe.

There's a stone in the middle. Run your knife around the avocado and then twist the two halves so it comes apart. Try scooping out one half and smoosh it into toast with a fork.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options

it seems quite soft just now its been in the fridge for 2 days (should it be kept there)

I think ill open it and try it tomorrow mashed on something :D
  • Chell625
    Chell625 Posts: 13
    Options
    Ive started to use avocado in place of dressing on sandwiches so the sandwhich isn't dry. I will take a Brownberry 8 Grain Pita Pocket - only half, put lettuce, oscar meyer rotiserre chickn breast slices - up to 6 but usually only about 4, lettuce, and add the avocado sliced up. I will vary it sometimes and add tomato also. Or i've made lettuce wraps with lettuce, tomato, avocado and bacon. All of this is very low cal.
  • davidjulian
    davidjulian Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't keep it in the fridge unless you've cut into it and are saving the second half. But even then, eat the second half th enext day or it starts getting funky colored (cover it in plastic with the plastic touching the meat and keep the pit in the second half if you're going to save it).

Here's a link to a great video from a kind of kooky guy about how to cut it open with some useful nutritional information. But, as I said, he's kinda kooky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrUXRPgWrW4

Eat it raw, or with salt/pepper/lime juice, or mash it up with some shallots, lime juice, pepper, salt, and tomatoes for a guacamole. You really can't go wrong with avocados!! You'll wonder why it's taken you so long to try one :)
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Actually they are fine to keep in the refrigerator if they are ripe. Do not put them in if they are not ripe as they will not fully ripen that way. Keeping them cool after ripen prevents them from going bad as fast.

The only way I eat is guacamole. I just smash up the avocado with a Tbs or so of hot salsa and I'm good to go. No fancy recipe for me. You do really have to eat it all at once or it will oxidize. If I am not going to eat all at once I leave the pit in once side and wrap with plastic wrap that covers fully the cut area (press plastic wrap on it) and the put int he refrigerator. It doesn't go as brown leaving the pit in and preventing oxygen from getting on the surface.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I mainly use 1/2 an avocado, 1/2 cup cottage cheese and 1/4 cup coconut milk as the base for protein milkshakes - then I just add 3/4 cup worth of fruit and a bit of protein powder. The combination makes the smoothies half creamy, half sweet, which is how I prefer them.