How can I break this plateau?

Options
Fairysoul
Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
I have been the same weight for at least 3 months, I am doing the 30 day shred, eating pretty healthy and getting good rest... I even throw a different type of workout in the day besides the shred, like today was a walk, tomorrow hike, and random things like dancing and zumba... I do take days off workouts to let my body rest... I need suggestions!

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    There's no way to answer that question accurately without seeing your diary or getting more details.

The usual suspects would be: make sure you're eating enough, make sure you're logging correctly (don't trust the calorie burn estimates on machines), add strength training, drink enough water, stick with it.
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    have you measured yourself. you may have lost inches
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    I do seem to be losing inches, maybe it's muscle.... I eat enough usually about 1600-1700 cals with workout each day... 8 cups water everyday no less.. I do strength training too..
  • amonroe1343
    amonroe1343 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Do you always do the same exercises on the same days of the week? Sometimes that can be something you can mix up as well. Also, try adding more weights or doing more circuit training with the weights if you don't do that already. Just some suggestions if you aren't doing any of these. Losing inches is the most important so you shouldn't be discouraged since you said you seem to be losing inches still. You might be gaining muscle and losing fat. Also, you can vary the types of food you eat. If you eat the same foods every day or the same foods on the same days of the week. Also, varying your calorie intake daily as well can help. Keep your head up!
  • britneyy32
    britneyy32 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I do seem to be losing inches, maybe it's muscle.... I eat enough usually about 1600-1700 cals with workout each day... 8 cups water everyday no less.. I do strength training too..
    You are losing weight and gaining muscle instead. You shouldn't be focused on the number on the scale, you should be focused on the inches you lose instead, because the scale is very deceiving.
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    You are losing weight and gaining muscle instead. You shouldn't be focused on the number on the scale, you should be focused on the inches you lose instead, because the scale is very deceiving.

Thank you, sometimes I need to be reminded that the scale isn't always going to show my hard work!
  • anfmusicgrl
    anfmusicgrl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Just keep persisting. Make sure you are eating enough food. Increase your weight training. Change up your cardio...do some higher intensity stuff, and even a little lower intensity stuff. Eat more "clean" for a few days. Increase your water intake. All of this will usually jump start my losses again if they seem to be staggering.

Also, sometimes...taking a few days off from exercise has actually helped me. Sounds strange, but I believe it's due to the fact that working out causes our bodies "stress". When working out 6-7 days per week for a long period of time, sometimes it starts working against me. So, I basically take 2 days off in a row, eat consciously those days, but just concentrate on letting my body rest and relax. Sometimes I'll go on walks during those days, but nothing too intense. Bam! I'll follow with a week of awesome losses!

Keep being consistent with your logging and working out, and it will pay off. I've been losing weight for a year now, and last month I lost the least amount to date. Good news?? I lost the MOST inches to date in a month ever. I lost 4.5 inches in my waist alone!! (My trouble zone- I have PCOD)

So, am I frustrated? Nope, not really. Because my pics and measurements show that my hard work is still paying off. The scale in the end, is just a number. Stay positive!!!
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Eat more! Only thing that's worked for me. I upped my calories to maintenance to give myself a break when I hit a plateau and that's what got the scale moving again.