Accuracy of "Elliptical Trainer" in the exercise options

Options
I'm trying to be very accurate about entering in my exercise on here. When I enter my time in under "Elliptical Trainer," it seems like the calorie amount burned is too high. MFP does not account for speed or resistance. To be safe, I just enter my exercise in under "Walking 4 mph." Am I doing the right thing here?

Replies

• rms171
    rms171 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You have the option to manually log the calories burned if you trust the counter on the elliptical more. That is how I do it, especially if I'm on the treadmill and transitioning through different speeds and inclines during my work out.
  • texaslonghorn42
    texaslonghorn42 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    MFP tends to run high so I always enter the amount the machine said I burned (since it factors in my weight, age and resistance levels). Even then I still don't eat back all of my exercise calories just in case even the machine is too high.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    the only way to get an accurate reading of calories you burn doing any particular exercise is to use a heart rate monitor.
  • ecrim
    ecrim Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
  • danimal5867
    danimal5867 Posts: 390
    Options
    Gotta get an HRM. MFP estimates are too high and the machines at my gym are too low (although the lighter I get, the closer the machines are getting to my monitor). Also with a heart rate monitor the machine can pick up the signal from your chest strap which means you can let go of the handles if you choose and still get the info on the screen.
  • ecrim
    ecrim Posts: 17
    Options
    I picked up an HRM today and feel more confident about the accuracy of my records. Thanks everyone!