Heart Rate monitor or fit bit?

Options
13»

Replies

• Edwin_S
    Edwin_S Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Great post Nikki, thanks for starting it. I've only ever used my polar HRM, but its an older one and i think its time for an upgrade so I've been looking into the Fitbit. Thank you to everyone who shared their experience.

:)
  • NikkiTompson
    NikkiTompson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone... I have just ordered the polar FT7 and it should arrive tomorrow... super excited. :)
  • RoybieOfTheRovers
    RoybieOfTheRovers Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The best thing about an HRM is that at some point you will have to tighten the chest strap.:smile:
  • NikkiTompson
    NikkiTompson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The best thing about an HRM is that at some point you will have to tighten the chest strap.:smile:

haha.. true... I was going to ask someone... with the HRM I wanted to wear it in the pool... how does that work with the strap?
  • ncwall
    ncwall Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    found the comparisons, now just need to find which one works better for me, thanks all for the input
  • JMFresh
    JMFresh Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have been thinking about getting the fit bit ultra for a while now, however not sure how accurate it is, or if anyone has any feedback on it? I do alot of my exercise in the gym, so does it still work on the treadmill?

also, have read a number of posts saying that heart rate monitors are the thing to buy..so which is better? more accurate? basically i want something that calculates how many calories i am burning when in the gym as i dont actually trust the machines, although you put your weight it, they dont ask if you are male or female, which i know drastically changes the amount of calories burnt...

advice anyone..? oh and if i get a heart rate monitor, any good suggestions on which one to get?

Thanks

Hey there - just wondering how the Polar FT4 has worked out for you? I'm researching this product as well as the fitbit. After reading your post and the responses, I'm leaning towards the Polar. Does the Polar come with the chest strap or is everything calculated from the wrist watch? Thanks in advance! Anything else I should know? :smile:
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    The Polors they are referring to use a chest strap and if you are considering a polar which is a good brand than you may want to go to their website so you can pick one that is best suited for your goals and how you plan on working out. eg. the FT80 is good for weights as it has a resting timer the FT7 is good for general gym as it has a fat burn indicator, etc. they all tell calories.
    I use both and think it is easy to forget the subtle motivation of a fit bit to just get more active with minor tweaks to your daily activity.
  • newmanmb463
    newmanmb463 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about buying a fitbit or HRM myself, and decided to post here instead of creating a new thread... Currently, I walk 3-4 miles a day at lunch for my exercise. I use my phone to track my distance and speed, and then use the app's estimate of calories burned to enter all of that info into MFP. I'm pretty sedentary otherwise, sitting at a desk for most of the day at work. Does it even make sense at this point to invest in one of these? Or should I just keep using my phone? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mark
  • ladytxn
    ladytxn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have both...I wear the fitbit throughout the day to try and up the amount of steps I'm taking (basically getting me off of my butt) and how many floors I'm climbing, and also use it to see how well I'm sleeping.

I have a HRM with a chest strap for when I'm doing my Insanity DVDs. I own the SportLine Duo

this^^^ (I have the SportLine Duo as well)
  • SJCon
    Options
    I've been thinking about buying a fitbit or HRM myself, and decided to post here instead of creating a new thread... Currently, I walk 3-4 miles a day at lunch for my exercise. I use my phone to track my distance and speed, and then use the app's estimate of calories burned to enter all of that info into MFP. I'm pretty sedentary otherwise, sitting at a desk for most of the day at work. Does it even make sense at this point to invest in one of these? Or should I just keep using my phone? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mark

If that is the only thing you are doing than it makes no sense for either one IMO. Now if you want to do more walking and try to get and stay in the fat burning 65% HR zone while doing it than a Polar FT7 would be worth looking at. I am sedentary but since getting my fitbit I have found that I tend to alter my activity like take the stairs when I can or do a little extra to get a badge etc. In fact it was obvious enough that my wife who was not interested now has one and loves it. She is a teacher and works on a second floor, I hate it when she comes home with 15 flights of stairs and 70000 steps. She just shrugs and says she can now enjoy a guilt free glass of wine.:wink:
    I use my HRM for the elliptical and do heart interval work.
  • JMFresh
    JMFresh Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    So I have another HRM question. I ordered the Polar FT4 and it should arrive any day now ... just wondering for ski season... If I wear the chest strap the whole day, will it calculate the total cals burned througout the whole day or would I need to turn off/pause when I'm in for lunch? Never had a HRM or worn a chest strap before.... So sorry if that's a dumb question. :embarassed:
  • Cschintz
    Cschintz Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Regards,

Mark

I have similar workout habits, and was thinking about getting a fitbit as well. I've heard a lot of talk about HRM at the Gym, but what if you just do cardio and calisthenics at home?

Thanks guys!
  • SJCon
    Options
    So I have another HRM question. I ordered the Polar FT4 and it should arrive any day now ... just wondering for ski season... If I wear the chest strap the whole day, will it calculate the total cals burned througout the whole day or would I need to turn off/pause when I'm in for lunch? Never had a HRM or worn a chest strap before.... So sorry if that's a dumb question. :embarassed:

You can wear a chest strap all day as they are now more comfortable than the older ones but it still may be less than ideal. I don't know about the HR bras being a guy they may be more comfortable. There are two new monitors on the horizon that do not need a strap one is the " Alpha" by the same people that make the MIO, the other is the "Basis". Both of these will measure your heart rate and you wear them on your wrist but they are Pricy at about $200.
    A good calorie counter for all day wear if that is all you want is the body-bugg and ............. bah senior moment cant remember the other..They are pricey also especially since you have to pay for a subscription for the web site. They DO NOT measure HR but they are as accurate as a HRM,
    They both go on you arm. and are more similar to the fit bit. FitBit has two new models the "zip" and the "One" the Zip is out now and will not count stairs but is $60 the "One" will be out in about a month and does all the ultra does now for the same price as now. Both have Bluetooth for Phone apps.
    Hope that helps
  • Missjilly1025
    Missjilly1025 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have been thinking about getting the fit bit ultra for a while now, however not sure how accurate it is, or if anyone has any feedback on it? I do alot of my exercise in the gym, so does it still work on the treadmill?

also, have read a number of posts saying that heart rate monitors are the thing to buy..so which is better? more accurate? basically i want something that calculates how many calories i am burning when in the gym as i dont actually trust the machines, although you put your weight it, they dont ask if you are male or female, which i know drastically changes the amount of calories burnt...

advice anyone..? oh and if i get a heart rate monitor, any good suggestions on which one to get?

Thanks

Because you are a girl you can purchase bras that the heart rate monitor will clip into rather than wearing a chest strap all day. I have never worn my chest strap just clip it into my bra and away I go.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks

Are you most interested in getting a pretty accurate estimate of TDEE or a very good estimate of calories burned during a specific cardiovascular activity? If the first....get a fitbit......the second.....get an HRM. I have both. As far as HRMs go I love my Polar FT7
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If you just want to track what you do at the gym, get the HRM. If you want to track your overall activity and do mostly step based activities, get the fitbit. If you can swing it, get both!
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Definitely HRM - much more versatile. Bought my Polar F4 a month ago. LOVE - L-O-V-E it!
  • carol162m
    carol162m Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit Ultra is accurate on the treadmill, and not too bad on the recumbent bike. What the fitbit indicates and what the machines indicate are very close. As far as the ciricuit(weight machines) goes I don't think they are accurate- fitbit is only good when your steps are involved.
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit Ultra is accurate on the treadmill, and not too bad on the recumbent bike. What the fitbit indicates and what the machines indicate are very close. As far as the ciricuit(weight machines) goes I don't think they are accurate- fitbit is only good when your steps are involved.

I found this out today (not accurate on bike or circuit)..which is why my husband is out taking it back as I type. :-)
  • mfrkorey
    mfrkorey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    bump