New- and So Discouraged!

Options
2»

Replies

• love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    This is a fresh start, and you'll find counting your calories very helpful in your weight loss. It's great you've already started the exercising part of this and you're feeling better! Don't worry about your sister or anyone else. Just do what you need to do, have fun, and enjoy the ride! I couldn't lose weight before I found MyFitnessPal, but it came off easily once I knew what to do! Best wishes for your success!
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I've been there. I hate to say it, but I can't lose weight even if I excercise, if I don't eat the right foods. Especially the older I get. Use the tools that MFP offers. Even if you "cut down", but not eat the right things, it can affect your loss. Be sure that you're eating the right kinds of things. Fruits, vegetables, ean meats, whole grains. Drink plenty of water. You really do get used to eating this way. If you really want to see results, invest yourself fully into the lifestyle. It WILL work. Hugs!!

This ^^^^
    Thanks I needed to be reminded of this
  • RoosMommy01
    Options
    I suggest that you add sodium to what you watch, also get your water in! I would also suggest taking "before" and "during" photos. I know sometimes we can't see the changes but when you look at a side by side it's crazy. Don't give up! You can totally do this! Good luck on your journey!!:flowerforyou:

^^^Totally agree with that. I did this at the beginning of my journey and if I ever feel like giving up then I go back and look at my before and during pics and can totally see the difference and it makes me keep going!! I've even taken pics of my scale at the beginning of my journey.
  • karae16
    karae16 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I totally understand how you feel, but don't give up! Last summer (over a four month period) I lost around 20 pounds, through starting to work out and eating better. But honestly I barely lost any weight in the first month and a half despite being very active and eating better than I had in years. I'm not sure if my body just needed to build muscle or re-set my metabolism, but after that initial month and a half the weight just started to fall off. I've joined MFP to loose the last 15 that I've been struggling with since that initial 20-pound loss- and I honestly was shocked by how much I actually eat. It really helps to log everything you eat, and as some over people have already posted, really watch what you're drinking- make sure you're drinking lots of water and cut out any juice or pop (so many un-needed calories).

Just keep at it, and try to stop focusing on immediate results. The slower and healthier you approach this the more real the results will be (by that I mean you won't immediately gain back 10 pounds if you fall off the bandwagon for a week).
  • rachristi
    rachristi Posts: 8
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your kind words. I feel so much better. I tracked my calories today and came out about 100 less than what MFP said I should have (I added in the exercise calories). I felt like I had enough to eat, but I stopped myself from eating several things that I normally wouldn't have thought twice about. So, I think I can trim down the calories more than I thought. I also drank all the water I was supposed to and I realized that I don't normally drink even half that much. So, hopefully that will help too.

I do have a heart rate monitor but the battery is dead, so my husband will be replacing that for me in a couple days. I also wear a Striiv pedometer and I'm trying to keep my steps and stairs counts up because every little bit helps. I made my food diary public, so if I don't start losing soon I'll ask people to take a look at it. I realize that I'm in this for the long haul, I just have to keep reminding myself. Thank you all again!
  • adawndowning
    Options
    I only saw 1 day logged in your journal, but if most days are like that you may want to cut your carb intake. Try bringing it down to around 100/day and I bet you see some results!

5958794.png