Strength Training at Home, Any good or waste of time?

crafty30
crafty30 Posts: 132 Member
Ok so I want to add some strength training to my exercise regime, I currently run 4 times a week and do a home DVD 3 times a week. The DVD’s I use do have strength sections (Squats, Lunges etc and arm exercises with weights) but the weights I use are only 2kg and I feel this isn’t pushing me that much. Is it possible to do proper strength training at home or do I really need to go to a gym? I cant really afford the gym and to be honest they scare me a bit!! But I really want to do proper weights etc.. Has anybody has good success doing stuff at home or am I just wasting my time doing it at home?!
x

Replies

• roodledoodle
    roodledoodle Posts: 183
    Hi, I workout at home and have a range of dumbell weights from 3kg up to 45kg and you can definitely get a good workout with those! If you can't afford to buy single held dumbbells then you can buy adjustables ones to increase the weight as you progress so as you get stronger you can continue to increase your weights and challenge yourself. I do a mix up of workout routines weekly that includes 2 upper body dvds from the P90x range which targets back, chest, shoulders,arms and abs, I run 2-3 times a week and also throw in a Jillian Michaels or Bob Harper DVD. To be honest with you I'm in better shape now than when I went to the gym. You just have to make sure that you're challenging your body and always progressing with the weights to see improvement. My next buy is a bar bell so that I can do heavier squats and deadlifts. There's a mass of moves and workouts you can find on the internet for programs etc.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :smile:

Ps. I think if you wanted to seriously get into weight lifting or body building then I would think you would need to go to a gym for the really heavy stuff!
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    It's all about having the right equipment. All you really need is some hand weights, I have weights ranging from 8 lbs to 30 lbs, I also have a weigh bench that I use. It just depends on the amount of money you want to spend.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    I haven't been to a gym in yeeeeears....

I've done all my strength training at home.

I miss out on some of the equipment, but talk about convenience.

It takes a few quid to get the set up right, but you'll make that back in a year of not going to a gym and no one ever is on the squat rack when you want it.

But you're right - those tiny weights aren't helping at all. if you can physically do more than 12 reps then the weight is too light.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Actually, you don't need any weights at all! Here's a large collection of workouts, most of which don't use any equipment! All you need are a good pair of shoes, and your own willpower!

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZuzkaLight?feature=g-user-u
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    I work out at home. I've been following the strength training program in the book "You Are Your Own Gym." It's almost entirely body weight exercises. I've gotten great results. It's definitely possible to develop strength at home - for example, you eventually should progress to the one legged squat, one arm pushup, etc. Body weight exercises can be very intense.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    duplicate
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Hello, I'm not sure where you are from, but if you are from the UK, I just bought some adjustable dumbells for £25 from argos that go up to 18kg. after that you can buy heavier weights to put on them if you wanted. :)
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    I do all my strength work at home. But I spent a fair bit of money on the kit.

I have a power rack and Olympic bar/weights with a good quality bench. I bought it all off eBay second hand but it still cost just under £600. It wold have been over £1000 new.

I justified the cost as it being similar to 1 year's (anytime/peak time) membership at my local gym.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    You can do tons of stuff with bodyweight excercises also. Check out You Are Your Own Gym from your library for lots of ideas to get started.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I recently got an inexpensive barbell and bench set because I hated wasting time driving to and from the gym. My weights only go up to 80 pounds, but it's enough for now and I can add more when I need it. It cost about $100, and considering I was spending $20 a month at the gym, it'll pay for it self in a few months.

Check yard sales, flea markets, Craigslist, the classified ads for used equipment, too.

I love it for the convenience. So nice to be able to watch what I want on tv, have a fan blowing right on me, and being able to switch out a load of laundry between sets. :laugh: (Can I consider running up and down the stairs as HIIT?!)
  • crafty30
    Wow thanks for so many responses, much appreciated!
    Its good to hear so many positive experiences from working out at home.. I will check out the link posted and that book sounds really interesting, thank you!
    Yes Im from the UK kimmianne so I will have a look at those weights, they sound good… I don’t mind spending a bit of money on equipment I am just a bit clueless on what I should be doing! I think checking out that book and looking at some videos on you tube may be a good idea!
    Thanks again everyone, Really appreciate all your feedback..I feel better about things now! I was starting to think Id never see good results without going to a gym!
    x
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    It's all about having the right equipment. All you really need is some hand weights, I have weights ranging from 8 lbs to 30 lbs, I also have a weigh bench that I use. It just depends on the amount of money you want to spend.

Wot she sed!

You don't need gym membership - just buy the kit. It might help to have someone teach you about good form to avoid injury if you're lifting heavy, though.
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    You get out of any workout what you put into it. I have a tiny little weights collection, but I work to muscle fatigue and am seeing results, which means sometimes 8-10 reps, or 15-20, depending on the weights and particular muscle exercise. To work out at home and have success takes mental strength and the ability to be accountable when no one is looking. Find your inner Rambo. Work till you feel that intense burn in the last three reps.

Love your hair in your profile pic, BTW!! Adorable. :)
  • I have the best solution for you -dont bother with the gym. You need a kettle bell. Dont take my word for it. Anyone who uses one lots will tell you the same thing. My gf uses one she ****ing loves it and it makes you firm and way stronger. It's amazing for endurance and works the full body for sure. I recommend watching some Pavel Tsatsouline videos on youtube or if you know how to download movies free and stuff you can type his name in the search browser. He swears by them and is the world champ and highest authority when it comes to kettle bell. If you can learn the exercises from watchmaking that's the best. The results are awesome. If youre super strong use a 15-20 kg. I use a 20 kg and a 24 kg [Im a man so I can use little more] Dont underestimate these things -just because theyre affordable and basic doesn't mean they suck. Theres so many things you can do with it. All the good excercises are easy to find on youtube. Theyre amazing and you cant beat a kettlebell workout. Let me know how it works out for you
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    <
    committed P90x-er, reformed gym rat...

You do not need to go to a gym to increase your strength and muscle definition. But you could probably make the case that a gym would be best for increasing muscle size (given the amount of weights, free weights and specialized benches etc.).

P90X does include a good deal weight exercises and to get the most out of them, you should have a beefy set of dumbbells with enough weight to make you struggle on the last 3 reps of each weight set (I have had to buy additional plates twice and I need a few more now as I have progressively gotten stronger).

The real killer in my opinion however is how Tony Horton uses body weight exercises. I have never done so many variations of pull ups and push ups and chair dips in my life. I don't care how much you can bench press in a gym if you can do 10 strict corn cob pull ups, or 25 strict (burpee style) prison push ups, I will be impressed...
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    I work out at home. I've been following the strength training program in the book "You Are Your Own Gym." It's almost entirely body weight exercises. I've gotten great results. It's definitely possible to develop strength at home - for example, you eventually should progress to the one legged squat, one arm pushup, etc. Body weight exercises can be very intense.

amen
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    I have the best solution for you -dont bother with the gym. You need a kettle bell. Dont take my word for it. Anyone who uses one lots will tell you the same thing. My gf uses one she ****ing loves it and it makes you firm and way stronger. It's amazing for endurance and works the full body for sure. I recommend watching some Pavel Tsatsouline videos on youtube or if you know how to download movies free and stuff you can type his name in the search browser. He swears by them and is the world champ and highest authority when it comes to kettle bell. If you can learn the exercises from watchmaking that's the best. The results are awesome. If youre super strong use a 15-20 kg. I use a 20 kg and a 24 kg [Im a man so I can use little more] Dont underestimate these things -just because theyre affordable and basic doesn't mean they suck. Theres so many things you can do with it. All the good excercises are easy to find on youtube. Theyre amazing and you cant beat a kettlebell workout. Let me know how it works out for you

^^^^^THIS!!! I do a Kettlebell Circuit at the gym which I found online (Womens Health) and I also go to a Kettlefit class. I'm considering buying one for at home too! I use a 6kg for the class but an 8kg at the gym unless deadlifts which is a 16kg. I would recommend starting with a 4 or a 6kg depending on your strength and then get a heavier one as you progress (and you can sell the lighter ones on ebay!).
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    If u're wanting to really work your arms there are various calisthenic work outs(like pushups for example) I don't know the names of the others that I do, but I dance with my 5lb weights n do calisthenic work outs typically for strength training(unless I go to the gym which was like 1 time in the last month) It's good for a starter or to get you to a certain point, but once u get to a certain point you would need to invest in some equipment or start going to a gym for heavier lifts(as stated already) Good luck :) any movement is good movement~
  • crafty30
    Ah thanks Guy’s (And Ladies!) some great advice here…

I have heard good things about Kettlebells.. I’ll check out some of the videos as I wouldn’t have a clue what exercises to do with them!
    Ah I have heard a lot of people say that P90x is good and Insanity, they look quite hardcore though?! Im not sure if Im quite up to them yet!
    I like the sound of the body weight exercises too..My upper body strength isn’t great at the mo but I really want to work on this.. I find that the exercises I do with weights aren’t that taxing for me but as soon as I try push ups or tricep dips on a chair I’m useless!!

Loads of good things for me to look at here, thank you all!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    I don't see where any strength training is a waste of time. Go ahead to do this. You will love your new toned body.