Absolutley gutted :(

Hi there

Well I've been dieting and exercising for 3 weeks, 1st week I lost 6lb 2nd week I lost 2lb and now on my 3rd weigh in this morning I've lost absolutley bugger all :(. I'm just so disheartened and don't know where I'm going wrong. I'm eating 1200 cals or below a day, exercising 4 or 5 times a week and still not losing...gutted.

Replies

• Binks9388
    Binks9388 Posts: 6
    I feel you......when this happens to me, I try and up my water intake to at least 10 glasses of water a day and I try and vary my eating a bit - (example - normally my highest calorie meal is dinner - so I try and swap it so it is at lunch or breakfast). Sometimes it jump starts me - sometimes it doesn't. Remember...if you are eating right and exercising - it will come off eventually. I tell myself my body is just adjusting to the new regime (or changed regime) and I liken it to the body "rebooting" itself. Hang in there! I will pray for you.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    You had 61 net calories on one day and the others are way below 1200 per day... You won't lose much weight doing that. Eat back your exercise calories and you will lose weight. Your Net calories should be 1200-1400 at the very least.
  • You aren't eating enough food. You should NET 1200/day. You are doing a lot of exercise and not getting enough fuel.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Great job on ur weight loss!! I have been on MFP for a little over a month and have only lost a couple pounds so, I think you are doing a great job.
    My pounds must love me because they dont want to go anywhere.
  • As the others has said, try eating a little more. For me, I lost 4lbs the first week, then I didn't lose any weight for another two weeks, then the same happened again. I didn't lose any weight for almost a month, but don't give up, it's tough I know, but it'll be worth it.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,162 Member
    Hi there

I'm eating 1200 cals or below a day, exercising 4 or 5 times a week
    1. eat more
    2. profit
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,716 Member
    You've lost 8lbs in 3 weeks. That's nothing to be gutted over. You're doing great. It's not going to be a 5lb loss every time you step on the scale. Have realistic goals and know that it's going to come off slowly, like it's supposed to. That way it stays off.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    You've lost 8lbs in 3 weeks. That's nothing to be gutted over. You're doing great. It's not going to be a 5lb loss every time you step on the scale. Have realistic goals and know that it's going to come off slowly, like it's supposed to. That way it stays off.

Truth! I learnt that the hard way too OP - it's not a race, take your time, do it right, make it last forever :)
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 583 Member
    Hi there

Well I've been dieting and exercising for 3 weeks, 1st week I lost 6lb 2nd week I lost 2lb and now on my 3rd weigh in this morning I've lost absolutley bugger all :(. I'm just so disheartened and don't know where I'm going wrong. I'm eating 1200 cals or below a day, exercising 4 or 5 times a week and still not losing...gutted.

as other have said, you need to appreciate that this is for the long haul, it will take time. Ive been here over a year and lost over 40 lbs, reset my counter recently.

even when you are done maintaining is for life, get used to this idea and give yourself time.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Nothing wrong with having lost 8lbs in 3 weeks! Don't let ONE week leave you 'gutted' and ready to quit!

I have been working out since January and I have lost 18lbs....that means I have lost about 2.5pounds on average per MONTH...not week....MONTH.... Each person's body is different and you have to find what works for YOU.

Keep going! Slow and steady wins the race. Continue to eat healthy and exercise and you WILL see changes in your body. You'll feel better too.

I hope you are also doing measurements not just weiging yourself.

Also, you may want to eat just a bit more calories....don't go below 1200 calories.
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Join and read the forums in the "Eat More To Weigh Less" group here at MFP
  • You've lost 8lbs in 3 weeks. That's nothing to be gutted over. You're doing great. It's not going to be a 5lb loss every time you step on the scale. Have realistic goals and know that it's going to come off slowly, like it's supposed to. That way it stays off.

Pretty much what I've come here to say.

I can totally understand why you're upset but don't be too hard on yourself. Weight loss takes time and unfortunately isn't always predictable. :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    The first week or 2 is when a lot of weight comes off because it's likely water retention (that's why those Lose 10# in 10 days articles in magazines work). Now it's the "fun" part - be patient, keep burning more than you eat, keep hydrated, and watch your sodium intake.

Long-haul weight loss isn't simple or easy or fast.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    You're not doing anything wrong. 8lbs in three weeks is great. You're experiencing the up and down nature of weight loss. You won't lose evenly and smoothly, that's just the way it goes. Some weeks you'll lose nothing, others you'll lose a bunch.

You will not see another 6lb loss in one week (or at least it's very unlikely you will) - that was the initial water weight loss. If the number on the scale affects you so negatively I suggest putting the scale away and only weighing in once a month or so.

And yep, eat a bit more.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    This may be a super obvious question but are you on your period or due to start your period soon? Lady Days causes water retention in most women. You're likely to see little to no loss the week of your period and maybe even a gain.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    1. Eat more. You should be eating at least your BMR in calories each day, even if it means that you can't lose weight as quickly as you want to (but you will still lose).
    2. Weight loss is not a steady, constant thing. As long as the overall trend is down, you are fine. One week does not a plateau make. For example, I had a two-week period where I gained a pound despite eating at a deficit. Then, overnight, I lost 2.2 pounds. These things happen, and you can't let them get you down.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    It's common to have little stalls sometimes, especially coming off a big loss. That said, I do know how disappointing it is to work so hard and not see results right away. Try to remember that your body is more than a number on the scale, and your efforts are still making a healthier, happier you whether or not the scale budged this week!
  • Thank you soooo much for all the replies everyone, its good to know that this is normal.

In relation to eating the below 1200 cals a day I think in trying to lose weight I've become afraid of food. Eating 8 or 900 cals a day feels like an achievement and I'm scared of eating in case I put on weight. I have a bit of an obsessive personality and I easily get hooked on things, I can't do things by halves its all or nothing which I think is why I've become to think eating below 1000 cals a day is a good thing.

x
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Ditto what everyone else is saying. 8 lbs in three weeks is fantastic, and you should be really proud. Weight loss is not linear and you are unlikely to see a loss every week. There might even be weeks when you're doing everything "right", but see the weight on the scale increase. There are so many variables. Just one example - when you eat food with a lot of sodium in it, you retain water and that gives you an increase on the scale. It doesn't mean you've put on fat though. Don't let it get you down. This is a long process, and you can't let what you see on the scale derail you.

As a side note - 1200 calories is not a whole lot for anyone, let alone someone who is active. You're exercising 4 or 5 times a week, so you're certainly not sedentary and your body needs fuel to do that. I know when you really want to lose weight it seems like the less you eat the better, but a lot of people run into problems at some point if they're not eating enough. The way that Myfitnesspal works, it gives you a calorie goal based on the assumption that when you log exercise, you eat those calories back. If the site wasn't designed like this, it would have given you a bigger calorie goal.
  • This may be a super obvious question but are you on your period or due to start your period soon? Lady Days causes water retention in most women. You're likely to see little to no loss the week of your period and maybe even a gain.

I'm not sure I can't remember when my last one was! Its either this week or early next week I'm due x