Which training shoes for lifting and general gym?

Options
I'm 3 weeks into NROLW and I also do some treadmill, elliptical and stationary cycling whilst at the gym. I'm currently wearing a pair of heavily padded £15 Nike running trainers. I got them a couple of years ago when on a fitness kick (which did'nt last long). I'm now doing things properly and rather than just going...'yeah they'll do', I want to get the 'proper' gear now.
(see profile picture)

Does anyone have any recommendations for training shoes (trainers)? I think I want something flatter but I don't really know what to look for in them to make them suitable for lifting as well as other general gym stuff.

Replies

• jaybird951
    jaybird951 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    get a pair of new balance crosstraining shoes.
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    for running you should get your gait analysied and the trainers to suit, that said you need to mention that you are working out in a gym and the running is part of it.

I've just bought some inov-8's for outdoor running and while I was looking saw some inov-8 220 which are for gym use worth looking online and seeing if they might suit you?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/inov-8-f-lite-220-shoes/ one of the reviews says they used them for lifiting as well as other gym work.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Something that is very suited for lifting won't be suited for running on a treadmill, unless you can safely transition to barefoot running (though they'd probably be fine for cycling or elliptical).

That being said, lifting shoes should have very little between you and the ground, so converse classic chucks work well or barefoot shoes.
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Something that is very suited for lifting won't be suited for running on a treadmill, unless you can safely transition to barefoot running (though they'd probably be fine for cycling or elliptical).

That being said, lifting shoes should have very little between you and the ground, so converse classic chucks work well or barefoot shoes.

^^ This.

I have (2) pairs of shoes in my gym bag. Running shoes and my lifting shoes.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

^^ This.

This is what I am leaning towards doing. I'm mainly wanting to do the lifting at the moment (I have patella tracking in my right knee which gets aggravated by running/jogging).

I will check out the New Balance ones too
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    New Balance Minimus.

The stiffer sole and low heel-toe drop is ideal for, well, everything.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

^^ This.

+2 Got me some Chuck's a couple weeks ago. Definitely feel more connected with the floor.
  • annieu613
    annieu613 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I just wear chucks for lifting.
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options

This is what I am leaning towards doing. I'm mainly wanting to do the lifting at the moment (I have patella tracking in my right knee which gets aggravated by running/jogging).

I will check out the New Balance ones too

If you have patella tracking in your knee you should get some proper running shoes for your running and different shoes for lifting, you need your knees for a long time so be careful with them.