Enough calories?

Options
I've been told by a couple of people that 1200 calories isn't enough. I've only been on this for a week or so but i already find that im used to eating this amount. I've just used the mfp goals area to re-calculate and that puts me at 1430 calories a day for a 1 lb a week loss. Is this about right?
I guess im stuck in the mindset of, the fewer the better.
What would you suggest i do about the extra 200+ calories i now have that im not used to? I don't want to eat rubbish just to use them up....i also havent been for my walk yet today which may add another 150+

Any suggestions :)

Replies

• supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    200 calories isn't much...eat an apple and a wedge of hard cheese. That should do it.
  • dickster1961
    dickster1961 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people who set their weight loss goals at 2 lbs a week and end up with a 1200 calorie recommendation. I personally went with a 1 lb a week goal and originally it gave me a daily recommendation of 1850 calories. As I have lost weight, I have adjusted my goal down to 1750 calories per week. I try to stay around 1300-1500 daily.

If I had set my goal at 2 lbs per week, I would have had a daily recommendation of 1350. I didn't want to set my goal too aggressive because I was concerned that I would get discouraged if I exceeded that target. Instead, I want to feel good that I have stayed below my target and am losing a little more than a lb each week.

I have read in a couple of places that 1200 is the minimum you should consume for your body to function properly. I think that the slower you are able to take off the weight the better chance of keeping it off. As long as you are losing a pound or so a week with your current intake then 1400 should be good. As you lose weight, readjust your goals.

My wife and I are both using this and we have been changing some of our snacking habits. We are eating things like Fiber One 90 calorie bars, fresh fruit, weight watchers treats, and Special K Cracker Chips.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I've been told by a couple of people that 1200 calories isn't enough. I've only been on this for a week or so but i already find that im used to eating this amount. I've just used the mfp goals area to re-calculate and that puts me at 1430 calories a day for a 1 lb a week loss. Is this about right?
    What would you suggest i do about the extra 200+ calories i now have that im not used to? I don't want to eat rubbish just to use them up....i also havent been for my walk yet today which may add another 150+

Either increase the portion size of the foods you are already eating or add in a snack - a yogurt, some nuts, a banana, some fruit juice etc.
  • historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    small handful of walnuts or almonds for good fats and more protein.
  • DreamSM85
    DreamSM85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It's really not enough. I'm currently increasing my calorie intake in order for my body to get the proper nutrients. I don't want to burn my muscles up I want to burn carbs and fat as fuel instead! I also don't want to be malnourished or develop a metabolic syndrome! The whole reason I'm on MFP is to be fit and healthy not skinny and sickly! Think about your goals and what you want to achieve and hopefully you will learn that your body needs more nutrients and calories than you are providing if you stick to 1200 a day over a long period of time. I would hate to starve my body of things it requires to function at an optimal level. You should research and read trusted nutrition information before committing to a calorie restricting program.

With that being said...I'm currently trying to improve myself in this area so I don't know everything! I was doing 1200cals a day (for the past 30 days or so) and I think it wont hurt in the short term but in the long run it only does harm. I'm still a "work in progress" :)

This is my opinion but I have been reading a lot to get informed on this topic! Good luck to you. Don't get discouraged by increasing calories (esp if they are coming from rich nutrient dense food sources and create a balanced diet of protein/carbohydrates/fat). Everything should be in moderation and balanced. Protein and carbs need to work together in order to properly digest and absorb.

~Stephanie
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    small handful of walnuts or almonds for good fats and more protein.

^^This. 20 Almonds is about 140 calories; it really doesn't take much. Find what works for you and what you are comfortable with.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

ahh the evil 1200 number. I started there, and also got use to eating that amount, and felt bloated when I ate food. My anorexic friend was the same way when she started eating again and well that pretty much stated something to me. I upped to NETTING 1650 instead and still lost the same pound a week except it probably wasn't water weight this time. Some people intially gain water/glycogen back when upping their cals, I didn't. I'm very pro eating more. Being hungry is a horrible feeling nobody should experience.

You could split the 200 calories up in the run of a day. Eat a slightly bigger this a slightly bigger that. I always keep some pumpkin seeds on me to munch on throughout the day, and there's no prep work to it. 1 Avacado is about 300 calories. I usually spread that on toast instead of processed this or that. If you're into processed this and that chocolate whey powder and an egg makes a delicious protein packed pancake. I usually chuck them into some avacado rings and top them with peanut butter. I usually put toasted pine nut in my salads to add deliciousness and calories.