Mirror Image vs. Real Life

Options

Replies

• 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I really hate seeing photos of myself. I'm usually VERY disappointed. That's not the main reason I'm here but hopefully it will be a nice side effect if everything goes as planned:)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I really think it's because when we're looking in the mirror, we naturally position our head and body in the most flattering pose. We can't do that when someone is taking a photo of us!

Yes! When I feel pretty, I'll take the standard mirror pic and what I see in the mirror usually translates in the photo. I never thought about it like this, though... very good point.

I now take photos of myself when trying on clothes. Or make my husband do it. So the mirror doesn't fool me LOL.
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    That's how I felt when I had my school id picture taken, I looked at it and I wanted to cry. To me, it appeared that my face had gotten so fat that my eyes were being robbed of their space on my face, and I had a double chin. ..oh man. It was so miserable.

Now I feel like I actually look better naked, because my natural curves are coming back, but then I put on clothes and someone takes a picture of me and then I get all sad and disappointed again. Ha...oh well. I'm slowly making my way to where I want to be.
  • Toxictwist
    Toxictwist Posts: 274
    Options
    I still see the over-weight me when i look in the mirror. Even when people tell me I am "Pretty" or "Hot" i want to argue with them lol cuz i only think of the Old me.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. I look in the mirror and think "I look cute," and then I see a picture and wonder how I turned into a frumpy cow. I have to say that, for me, mirror pics are also less flattering than looking in the mirror. My first, totally appalling, before pic is a mirror pic.
  • Alexzya
    Alexzya Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Mirror: You look HOT today!

Me: Woohoo!!!

*takes a photo to document*

Camera: Seriously? The mirror told you that? HA!!!

Me: :cry: ...:sad: ...

OMG that's so cute! made me smile!:smile:
    I feel the same way though. I hate photos of myself.
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I still see the over-weight me when i look in the mirror. Even when people tell me I am "Pretty" or "Hot" i want to argue with them lol cuz i only think of the Old me.

Aww, don't think of yourself as the old you. I have heard a lot of people say they feel this way after losing a significant amount of weight, that no matter how much their bodies have changed, they still have a "fat identity". Oddly enough, I read a study about fat identities in a social deviance class I took and it makes me so mad that people have to be labeled so much in society that even when they change, they can't remove that label.
    Hope you start recognizing yourself as the amazing person that you are!
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    I have abs in the mirror, but not in real life!!?!?
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Some days I look better in the mirror, others I look better in pictures. It depends on my mindset for the day. But most of all, I can't believe how much smaller I look compared to this time last year in pictures. What a difference a year makes (for the better)!
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    JUST recently, actually. When I see myself in the mirror, I love what I see.

I just saw a picture of me and I was horrified.
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I hate going on pictures, caus i know they will bring me down...
    so i just keep looking in the mirror and windows where i look good
    not realistic but let me live in lala land!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it used to be that way for me... When I was at my largest I didn't like looking at the mirror or photos.... when I was about 160 I thought I looked ok in the mirror but pictures proved different... but now I am really starting to like both! :)
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Yup I look fat in my pictures but when I look in the mirror I think I look pretty good.

My mom says I have my fat face again:sad:
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have abs in the mirror, but not in real life!!?!?

ME TOO!!!!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to lie here.

I am far better looking in real life.
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Seeing a photo of myself is was got me motivated to really lose the weight for good this time. I barely recognized myself. Sobering, to say the least. Now I'm better about pictures (20 more lbs and I'll really like them). I still don't like being stuck on the end of the group in a shot. Haha.
  • aallen8599
    aallen8599 Posts: 73
    Options
    Does anyone else ever look in the mirror and think "Hey, I don't look that bad!" but when you see a photo of yourself, you have the OMG moment where you're like "Holy crap, I look like a cow!" Yeah. That moment just happened. I saw a candid photo of me from three weeks ago and it was the first time I really saw how fat my legs and knees looked... I don't really see myself that way when I look in the mirror. Sure, I know I'm overweight but I thought I looked okay, you know? Just wow. Talk about motivation!

What do you see when you see yourself in a mirror versus in a photo? Do you see a difference like I do or is it the same?

Not only this^^ but how many of you also look back at old photos where you used to think you were so fat and think, "why did I think I was fat then?? Look at me now! I'm 20lbs heavier now!" I've done that. Weight is the devil! and I think it's best friend is the camera!! lol
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I used to think I didn't look that bad. You know, a bit of pudge, nothing major. Then I saw a photo wherein my thighs looked about a foot wide each and had a bit of a reality check.

Now? I see photos of myself and am surprised at how small I look. My brain hasn't caught up; and it's sometimes a bit alarming. In my head, every now and then, I'll think I'm still Fat Girl.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have some kind of reverse dysmorphic disorder I swear! In photos, I look 300 pounds, in the mirror I think I look okay. Wish I could see myself accurately :( Seeing a pic of myself really sets me into a depression.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Yep - happens to me all the time. I have a 'skinny' mirror at home and when I lift at the gym in front of the mirrors I also feel thin. When I see pics I think I look huge - especially in my belly area.

* Oh and my husband was moving things around in the house and broke my skinny mirror. WTF! Now what am I going to do? I used to love looking in that mirror. Ugh..:sad: