breakfast for non-egg eaters

Options

Replies

• saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I make a huge fruit smoothie nearly every day from lots of frozen fruit, spinach, and whey powder. If you're going to be in a hurry, you can put most of the ingredients in a cup in the fridge overnight, and save most defrosting/prep time. Zing it up, and drink it in the car.
  • annbanan85
    annbanan85 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am a HUGE advocate of oatmeal! It is quick, filling, and easily paired with additional items such as fruit or toast if you are needing a litle extra fuel that morning!
  • linzuh04
    linzuh04 Posts: 1
    Options
    http://www.flatoutbread.com/pbj-with-sbg-flatout-wrap/

I'm eating this now! I dont add granola, and I freeze them. They seem to keep for awhile (I eat them a bit frozen because the strawberries get runny after they are defrosted). I wrap them individually in foil and I keep them in the freezer at work.
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I make baked oatmeal. It's delicous, and does not involve eggs at all. There are recipes for it all over the internet, but mine:

1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 cup old fashioned oat (the kind that take like 20 minutes to cook stovetop)
    3 tbsp of low fat cottage cheese
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 cup of sweet potato (I mashed up a banana instead and put it in last night and it was great)

Mix it all together in a ovenproof bowl and pop it in the oven for 30 minutes. I bake mine at 375 degrees, but your oven may be different.
    I make it the night before, or if I have 30 minutes in the morning to let it cook. Going to try cherries and bananas in there tonight!
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Kashi Bar and a banana is my typical work day breakfast. I prefer the chewy varieties... 7 Whole grains and Almonds, Trail Mix, Mocha Dark Chocolate... all are between 130-150 cals, 5-7 g protein and 4 g of fibre.
  • Michelle81285
    Options
    I make a breakfast smoothie with your choice of fruit, whey protein, spinach, and almond milk. It curbs the hunger very well until lunch.

If I don't do eggs this is what I do!! It is so good!
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    green monster smoothie
    1 cup almond milk
    1 tbsp hemp protein powder
    1 tbsp ground flax
    1 tbsp pnut butter
    1 frozen banana
    1/4 cup frozen blueberries
    2 handfuls spinach

blend well - yum
  • vonnywaft
    vonnywaft Posts: 182
    Options
    I like a fruit smoothie made with frozen berries because it is more substantial than a protein shake and just as quick as microwaving something. You need (ideally) a small single-serving blender:

1 cup milk (try unsweetened Almond Milk, but skim works just fine)
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1/2 cup frozen berries (still frozen - I buy them in sacks from the frozen food section at Costco)
    a pack of sweetner if needed to taste

Dump in blender cup. Blend well.

this ^^ but I add flax seeds too for fibre and a smallish banana. Oh and leave the frozen fruit frozen, it makes the smoothie ice cold and extra yummy.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    BEER AND STEAK
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Others may have already mentioned it but if your not vegan then regarding the burrito and egg biscuit or muffin - I would just replace the egg with lean protein (i.e. chicken breast, turkey breast, etc.). Also, I haven't tried it yet but there is a new (to me anyways) that I saw a few weeks ago - Overnight No Cook Refrigerator Oatmeal. You can do a Google search and find tons of recipes. I am going to try it - just haven't had the time yet on Sunday to put everything together. Currently my breakfast is usually a bottle of water, coffee and then fruit or soy yogurt.
  • hollyg123
    hollyg123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I like a fruit smoothie made with frozen berries because it is more substantial than a protein shake and just as quick as microwaving something. You need (ideally) a small single-serving blender:

1 cup milk (try unsweetened Almond Milk, but skim works just fine)
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1/2 cup frozen berries (still frozen - I buy them in sacks from the frozen food section at Costco)
    a pack of sweetner if needed to taste

Dump in blender cup. Blend well.

I just made this as my 10 am snack/meal to drink with a hard boiled egg and it is yummy! I used mixed berries with Pomagrante. Yummy!
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    josephs flax wrap, some peanut butter, sliced up banana, and a sprinkle of bacon bits mmmm
    veggie burrito ( I do frozen peppers, onions, corn, slice up some zuchinni, baby spinach and some beans. I make a large batch of this then I can throw it in a wrap with some cheese in the morning, sometimes Il make turkey bacon to throw in with it, or I can use leftover chicken and do some salsa to make like fajitas.
    oatmeal
    fruit and yogurt parfait( if you make it the night before the fruit juices penetrate into the yogurt mmm) with some nuts or granola on top
    smoothies
    Naked green machine juice, with some turkey bacon and a slice of cheese on toast. Ill pour some juice in a solo cup, do the bacon in the microwave while the toast cooks and then add a slice of cheese makes a nice little sandwich on a busy morning
    breakfast pizza ( 2 versions) mexican-spread salsa on a toasted tortilla, top with fav veggies and leftover turkey/beef taco meat, sprinkle with cheese
    fruit version- toast tortilla sprinkle with cinnamon, spread yogurt on top, top with fresh fruit and drizzle with honey
  • dmgwalsh
    dmgwalsh Posts: 11
    Options
    On the weekends, I usually do a steel cut oatmeal with almond milk, berries, and flax seed . Sometimes I make a batch of quinoa or amaranth and mix them in with the oatmeal. Can make a batch, mix and save the rest in the fridge to nuke the next day.
  • thunderguts123
    thunderguts123 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I wish I was eating sushi with you, I think your right, breakfast can be anything. You eat them Korean pancakes. They can be heathy, right?

Bob
  • darkphoenix89
    darkphoenix89 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For me, eggs are a weekend thing when I have time to cook. During the week though when I need to just grab something and go, I usually do fruit burritos, the lowest calorie tortilla I can find, 15g of low fat cream cheese and a selection of fruits, usually kiwi fruit, pineapple, strawberry and banana. It comes in at just under 200 calories

If I have time on the weekend though I'll make a fig, almond loaf. The only problem is resisting the urge to slather it in butter!
    1 cup dried figs
    1/2 cup boiling water
    Cooking spray
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    2 large egg whites
    1 large egg
    3/4 cup applesauce
    1/3 cup plain fat-free yogurt
    1/4 cup canola oil
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    6 3/4 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
    2 1/2 ounces whole-wheat flour (about 1/2 cup)
    1/3 cup chopped almonds, toasted
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350°.
    2. To prepare streusel, combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a fork until crumbly; set aside.
    3. To prepare bread, combine figs and 1/2 cup boiling water in a small bowl; let stand 30 minutes. Coat 2 (8-inch) loaf pans with cooking spray; dust with 1 tablespoon flour.
    4. Place egg whites and egg in a medium bowl; stir well with a whisk. Add applesauce, yogurt, oil, and almond extract; stir well. Add sugar; stir well.
    5. Weigh or lightly spoon 6.75 ounces all-purpose flour and 2.5 ounces whole-wheat flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours and remaining ingredients in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Drain figs, and coarsely chop. Add figs and applesauce mixture to flour mixture, stirring until just combined. Divide batter between prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 15 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack.
  • f68bau
    f68bau Posts: 15
    Options
    bump!! I don't eat eggs either!
  • veggiebound
    veggiebound Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Fruit. Easy to eat on the go, good for you and no fuss. :happy: Then eat something more substantial for lunch?
  • emmarangel
    emmarangel Posts: 19
    Options
    I have a protein shake and three hours later I have an Adkins Protein Bar. They're very good and filling. You might want to give that a try.
  • SurrenderToNothing
    Options
    As someone else said, baked oatmeal. Mine is usually just oats, water, berries and a dribble of honey. Bake them individually in a muffin tin and they're good to take anywhere.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    my boys usually eat a yogurt in the morning. I've done yogurt with a little granola on it, or one of my fav's - an apple sliced up with some peanut butter, and some cheerios. you just dip your apple in the PB, and then dip that in the Cheerios - so good! You can try different kinds of apples and different kinds of Cheerios too. this is one of our favorite snacks - we just all share.