New and need support.

Options
Hi, I am so tired of being unhealthy and overweight. I am really hoping this will be what I need to finally lose weight. I'm at the point where I need to lose about 70 lbs, and it just seems so daunting.

I have recently started reading the Beck Diet Solution. I'm hoping that the Cognitive Therapy approach in the book, along with finding support in a group like this, will keep me on track and help me reach my fitness goals.

I'd like to be 140 lbs by my 40th birthday which is in November. Not sure if that is realistic, but we'll see.

I recently injured my ankle, a horrible sprain, that is keeping me from being able to do much exercise, so I am relying on diet exclusively.

I'm not sure how to accumulate friends on here, so any help would really be appreciated.

Replies

• JessaAnn407
    JessaAnn407 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You have come to the right place. When I first joined I needed to loose 90 pounds, now it is 71. I have had hard days and wanted to give up but the people that I have met on here and they encourage me a lot. And I can bounce questions off of them. It might seem like a large number, but take it slow and know it is a life style change and you can do anything! Good luck!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'll send you a friend request. I have 67 left to go - down from 100.
  • debjeffries
    Options
    I'm new, too. I would like to lose about 80 lbs. About 10 years ago I lost 60 lbs but half of it slowly returned. As I get closer to 60 yrs old, I'm less flexible and more of my parts ache. I've got to do something about my weight. I'm also single now, have been for a couple of years. The reality of the world it that men my age primarily want young, slim women (no matter what the men look like.)
    My main reason for wanting the weigh loss is feeling better, living longer and happier but I can't say that is all of it.

If anyone has suggestions for free online exercise sites, I'd appreciate it. Along with short, fat and older, I'm also too broke to buy exercise videos. lol:smile:
  • mmreed
    mmreed Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hello! Welcome to MFP!

MFP is a really great resource to keep you focused and connect you with a wealth of fitness resources and like minded folks.

1. Log your foods every day - don't skip days, or parts of your day. log everything!
    2. Analyze each day - see where it went good and where it went bad - too much fat? maybe too many carbs? over the calorie limit? Identify and plan how to correct it for tomorrow.
    3. Reach out to the community with questions or advice needs.
    4. Build a network of friends here!
    5. Lastly, do not believe everything you read here. There is a lot of great advice, but also some misleading and hype type advice. Part of getting fit is educating yourself in aspects of health and fitness. Make sure any questionable advice is looked at with a scientific eye and look for facts, evidence, and most importantly real world proof.
    6. You are more than a number. Sometimes the scale may not say what you hoped - thats fine. weight loss is not a straight line declination. Its a bumpy line that drops over time. Don't let single day numbers get your focus away from term based results.
    7. Vary your exercises. Your body forms memories and can slow down how it burns fat and builds muscles. Keep it confused! Hit it hard with cardio styles. Build lean muscle to burn even more fat.
    8. and above all - take your photo now! You will want to look back and have a starting BEFORE picture to proudly display along with your series of PRESENT or CURRENT photos during your transformation and continued lifestyle of fitness.

I welcome you, and anyone else out there to add me as a friend. I have made fitness and health my passion and love the idea of folks joining me in my new lifestyle of being fit, healthy, and most importantly - HAPPY!.

I'm here to support and motivate!!! I find my own success comes easier when I help and fuel other folks success.

and remember - most folks care more about the quality of fuel they put in their lawn mowers than the fuel they put in their bodies. Don't be one of those people. Whole foods. Natural foods. Intelligent choices.

Fit for life,
    Mark M. Reed
    aka Marc Mayhem - Fitness Blogger, and Motivator!
    www.truthfulfitness.com

Add me as a friend and take part in my daily fitness discussions, tips, and commentary on MyFitnessPal!
  • Preciouspony21
    Options
    Hi and welcome! you can add me and i will help cheer you on. My goal when I started was about 70 lbs. and I have lost 41 so far. You can do this!:happy:
  • sgtdebbie
    sgtdebbie Posts: 1
    Options
    I am sorta new too. I joined a while back but after a few days I lost track. I am committed and focused this time! I have about 40 pounds to lose. I need all the encouragement I can get. Good luck to everyone! Together we can do this!
  • schulze1975
    Options
    Hey! I would love to help out. I don't have any friends on this board yet either - although I have been using the mobile app since last year. I have 30 lbs left to lose too and I keep falling off the wagon. If you send me a request I will add you!
  • amonroe1343
    amonroe1343 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm new, too. I would like to lose about 80 lbs. About 10 years ago I lost 60 lbs but half of it slowly returned. As I get closer to 60 yrs old, I'm less flexible and more of my parts ache. I've got to do something about my weight. I'm also single now, have been for a couple of years. The reality of the world it that men my age primarily want young, slim women (no matter what the men look like.)
    My main reason for wanting the weigh loss is feeling better, living longer and happier but I can't say that is all of it.

If anyone has suggestions for free online exercise sites, I'd appreciate it. Along with short, fat and older, I'm also too broke to buy exercise videos. lol:smile:

If you are a pintrest person they have some good at home non gym exercises that you can do. Also, try looking on youtube as well. They have some youtube exercise videos. Try those and hopefully that can help you some. Good luck on the exercising, it can be tough sometimes.
  • TMarieB30
    TMarieB30 Posts: 24
    Options
    Welcome! This is an excellent source for support and ideas. Feel free to add. Good luck and just remember to log everything!! Even if you have a cheat day, or moment, log it so you generate a habit and know whats going in your mouth.
  • amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me to if you'd like I started back at the end of Feb. and have lost almost 50lbs it may seem daunting now but you can do this!! Diet is a big part of losing that weight.I'm hoping to lose another 60 or 65.
  • sara_e_wallace
    Options
    I joined a while back too but did nothing with it - so I am new too - you can add me too if you would like
  • Rosomom
    Rosomom Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! I have struggled with my eating habits. I feel like I *know* the right things to eat, etc. but I find myself eating out of habit & sometimes just eating because stuff tastes good. Your post caught my eye because I just recently read about the Beck diet. I ordered the book (should get it in a few days!), but have read quite a bit about the principles behind it. Seems like what I need. I would love to hear about your strategies, etc. and how it is going for you with the book. I've searched all throughout MFP but don't see consistent threads about the Beck diet.
    Feel free to add me & we can support each other!
  • momo3175
    momo3175 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi I am new on here too. I want to lose 100lbs before april 2013 for my sister's wedding. I need support too. I have only been on here for about one week and a half. I am doing a lot of low carb things and have not read any books yet but some have been suggested. I know how it feels too to have sprained your ankle, story of my life. It is tough but dont forget that you could probably do some floor exercises like crunches, leg lifts and the bicycle (on your back) to get your heart rate going at least you can stay off your ankle. Just a thought but who likes crunches? haha I hate them. So far I have just been thinking about doing them lol. I have only lost two pounds but that isnt calcualted on my page yet because I started weighing myself before I started this site. On this difficult journey I am finding it very important to burn calories and I just keep saying to myself, that a body in motion stays in motion. I have struggled and felt very discouraged but I just keep going and I am so glad that this site was suggested to me. I find that it is a great support especially to be able to share your story and success with so many others who struggle like me. I hope that any of this was helpful and I hope that I have not gotten long winded on ya. Im here and would love to help.
    momo
  • heinykin2
    heinykin2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat and would ultimately like to lose 120 lbs. I'm trying to get back in the swing of this site again. You can add me as a friend if you'd like. I'm new again to the site so I'm not sure how that works!
  • hunlun1
    hunlun1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome. You just need to follow about 1200 calorie diet, thats about what I need to loose too. If you track every bite you put into your mouth then it will come off and when you can move at your pace then I say go for it. But just log what you eat and you will soon learn what to eat and what not to eat. Join a group and make friends and begin. Have fun. This really keeps us honest.