Where do you run outside?

Options
weeblex
weeblex Posts: 411 Member
I live in a rural part of the country with very winding roads that I'm scared to drive on let a lone run along.

There are plenty of fields but most of them are tilled (sp?) or growing this time of year, so where do you run?

We have a trail about 10 miles from the house which has potential, but I used to cycle it, and a lot of the cyclists don't like to share.

I'm actually considering seeing if the local high school would let me use their track, does anyone else do that?

Any other ideas for safe running environments?

The weatherman says our insane humidity should break at the end of the week so my goal is to try something this weekend.

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I use a local HS track without any issue.

In regards to the country issue, when I visit my parents, the local is a bit more rural than where i live. I often need to run on county roads to get any mileage. I make sure that I am running against traffic and move off the road when any cars come. I also wear bright clothes to insure they see me.

Bikers will share as long as you are nice too (for the most part). when someone announces they are passing, give them some kind of recognition that you heard them.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I drive about 15 minutes to a great metropark. They have about 8 miles of super wide paved running/biking trails that wind through woods and fields. I've never had an issue with bikers not wanting to share, but it's a multi-use path, not biking specific. I bike there too.

I've also gone into town and just run on the sidewalks but I don't like that quite as well.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I run country roads, county roads, neighborhood road, paved trails, gravel trails and pretty much everything else. Run facing traffic. Don't listen to music. Be aware of your surroundings. YOU have the right of way on the road.

As for trails with bikes, just stay to the right and acknowledge when they approach from behind. Lose the music here too.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I use a local HS track, trails and neighborhood streets. Good luck.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I don't blame you for not wanting to run on the road. We live on a 55 mph road with no shoulder. Average speed seems to be 65 mph. I don't like to walk or run on this road. There is a road near us that I used to live on and I walked it but I made sure not to during rush hour or when light was dim. It is just as narrow, windy and high speed but has much less traffic.

Schools I have lived near have never cared about using the track.

There are some small parks that have trails about 15 miles from here but I don't generally go there unless I'm already going that way for something else.

Sadly, I just run on my treadmill and watch a movie. Due to some health conditions, I need to be able to stop and take medicine if the need arises which is a lot easier to do if I'm on a treadmill than a few miles from home.
  • weeblex
    Options
    Do you go and ask the HS first or just use the field when no one is around? I figure I should stop in and ask
  • JD2000
    JD2000 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I run on the local school track. Lots of people do it here. I doubt anyone has asked, I sure didn't. As long as it is not being used for gym class or track practice anyone can use it. We also use the tennis courts, soccer fields, frisbee golf field, playgrounds, etc. at various schools. You shouldn't have a problem.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I run on roads - most 35 mph, some 45 mph. I run facing traffic, and I listen to audiobooks, so I can hear traffic. If there are cars passing me from both directions, I usually go off the road into the lawn or field, otherwise I just stay right on the edge of the road. I live in a rural area, so its all neighborhoods and farmland. I have loads of routes I run too, for variety. Usually 5 - 8 miles.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have to admit I'm spoiled rotten (at least in the summer) I have beautiful recreational paths to run on literally minutes from my front door. Early in the morning I won't see a soul (at least no humans) if I run anytime after 6:00AM the commuters are out but so far I've not had any problems with cyclists hogging the path.

I also run on the road (facing the traffic and wearing highly visible clothing) depending on the distance / route I feel like running on any given day.

And, I have trails less than half an hour from the house but haven't ventured out on them yet.
  • weeblex
    Options
    So I think I have a couple of dozen other running questions that I could either ask people and get the usual mix of "expert" answers for or do some research.

Does anyone know of a good web site or ten, for novice runners?
  • brentb71
    brentb71 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Do you go and ask the HS first or just use the field when no one is around? I figure I should stop in and ask

If it's a public school then your tax dollars pay for the track. I don't see the need to ask. Just be sure they are not hosting some event there.

Personally the track is my least favorite place to run outdoors. I get bored quick there and it's always crowded with walking gossipers. Do the fields near your house have any access roads for tractors, equipment, etc. running through them? I live in sugarcane country and field roads are definitely my favorite place to run.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    So I think I have a couple of dozen other running questions that I could either ask people and get the usual mix of "expert" answers for or do some research.

Does anyone know of a good web site or ten, for novice runners?

CoolRunnings.com ... the home of C25K.