Ex-smokers 'gain more weight than thought'

Options
2»

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    That's just an excuse to continue smoking. When I quit over 20 years ago I didn't gain an ounce.
  • cherylm1888
    cherylm1888 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I gave up smoking on 23rd April, gained 3lbs, 2lb of which I have lost again.

I also gave up in 2006 and gained about 3 stone.

The difference this time is that I substituted cigarettes with water instead of chocolate and sweeties :)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I quit January 29th, and have gained back around 8-10 lbs in that time, BUT.....but I can run faster, farther and longer and don't sound like I'm coughing up a lung while I'm doing it. I wouldn't trade being a smoker for those lbs, and I know I'll get them back off in the long run.

They way I look at it, - I got heavy AS a smoker, so its not like it was really helping me be thin!
  • MissStatement
    MissStatement Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I quit in the beginning of February and allowed myself to gain 10 pounds. I don't have the willpower to quit and diet at the same time and quitting was more a priority than my weight. After the initial quitting period when I had better control of my cravings, I started MFP (about two months after I quit). I've lost the weight I gained after I quit and due to strength training I can see that I have increased my muscle mass (legs, arms and back). I was very addicted and this was not my first quit attempt. If I can do it, anyone can, believe me.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I lost weight the last time I quit. I was a bit lucky though as I was only working part time so when I wasn't working and had a huge craving I would go for a run, or hop on my bike for a while or head to the gym.

Not everyone has to gain weight... it all depends on how you deal with quitting. If you replace cigarettes with food you will gain weight. If you replace cigarettes with something healthy you won't. Increase your exercise, drink water when you have a craving, have some baby carrots, suck/chew on a straw.. there are tons of ways to get through it without gaining weight.
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    LaMujerMasBon -

I quit smoking almost 7 years ago to the day. Yes, I gained a heck of a lot of weight.

Guess who's fault that was? MINE.

Your best bet is to quit now while you are living a healthy lifestyle.

If you don't quit, I can guarantee even your healthy eating won't save you from all of the nasty stuff that smoking does to you.

I LOVED smoking. It was my best friend. It was my stress reliever.
    I didn't even mind coughing every morning, or bronchitis twice a year or smelling like an ashtray. I was an idiot.
    It ceased being that way when my mother developed COPD and then lung cancer.
    It was never worth it.

Do not let the "gaining weight" aspect (that YES, you CAN control) keep you from saving your own life.

Good luck to you and whatever you decide.
  • 80Ben
    80Ben Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I also quit smoking, and I think the weight gain is because you just want to eat when you quit smoking. The fact that you can exercise more compensates for the weight gain, and we're not talking about a crazy amount of weight here. It's lost easily, and 20 pounds extra (worst case scenario) is a lot healthier than smoking.
  • TheDreadedJynx
    Options
    I am only on week three or four, using nrt, and I have not gained any weight. My loss stalled until today, but I did give myself extra cals because I knew sucking on dinner mints and things of that nature would help me loads. The first few days I definitely wanted to eat more than usual but I understood why. It is totally in your hands. Those of us that are here probably will gain less than those who just eat as they please without really thinking about it, which is why I chose now to quit. Also, the raising of yr metabolism is very minimal, enough to equal a pound in maybe a month, probably longer.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking June 29, 2012 and have lost 3 pounds since then. I am on the lozenges right now and expect to be off of those by mid august. Since you are already working towards a healthier lifestyle, now is the time to quit smoking. I have increased the amount of time that I work out and I love not having to plan my day around when I can grab a cig. Don't use the fear of weight gain to deter you from quitting smoking.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I quit July 10, 2011 and gained 10lbs over the course of about 6 months. At the time, I wasn't watching my diet or exercising. The weight came off pretty quickly when I changed my eating habits and started working out.
  • Nyranee
    Nyranee Posts: 57
    Options
    I quit 255 days ago and gained 15kg since, it was related to stopping smoking yes, but only because I lost my "best friend nicotin" that comforted me each time I was stressed, bored, insecure, lazy, relaxed, happy ... and instead of substitising this loss with something healthy like sport I made sugar my "new best friend"

I started eating chocolate in the morning at the gas station whilst fuling my car for the daily commute I was byuing chocolate because I didn't smoke on the road anymore I ate sugar. When I was stressed I ate chocolate, when I was happy I ate chocolate, instead of the after food cigarate I started after food dessert etc ...

Now I am overweight and unfit and have to start replacing the suggar addiction with sport and healthy habbits ...
  • katrina1501
    katrina1501 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i havent smoked for 7 days and my snacking is getting bad - although all healthy stuff but yesterday i had 2 bananas 2 nectarines, a punnet of grapes and a punnet of strawberries and could of easily carried on eating but to be fair there was nothing left to eat LMAO

hoping to try stop snacking as much as i dont want to put any weight on, i have only lost 3lbs in the last 6 weeks while trying to eat 1200 to 1500 cals a day :(
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Well I really want to quit smoking but damn I hate the weight gain side effect. I don't care of the benefits far outweighing it as long as I will gain weight, sorry but no thanks. I want to know how can anyone give up smoking without gaining an ounce. Sorry but that's one thing that I'm really terrified at which is why up to now I can't totally quit. :frown:

Also I read somewhere that nicotine does increase your metabolism & so giving it up will make you gain weight even if you eat the same as when you still smoke. So even if you can somehow manage to control your appetite, you cannot totally avoid weight gain which I really don't like to happen.
    In all honesty, that is a poor reason for not quitting. I quit smoking in February.

Yes, I put on some weight. But at the same time, quitting was the best thing for my health. Two weeks ago I ran in a 5 mile race. This Sunday, I'm running in a 10km race. I would never have been able to do that if I was still smoking.

Just throw them away.
  • Anastacia1119
    Anastacia1119 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Well I really want to quit smoking but damn I hate the weight gain side effect. I don't care of the benefits far outweighing it as long as I will gain weight, sorry but no thanks. I want to know how can anyone give up smoking without gaining an ounce. Sorry but that's one thing that I'm really terrified at which is why up to now I can't totally quit. :frown:

Also I read somewhere that nicotine does increase your metabolism & so giving it up will make you gain weight even if you eat the same as when you still smoke. So even if you can somehow manage to control your appetite, you cannot totally avoid weight gain which I really don't like to happen.

Because dying of lung cancer and emphysema is such a great alternative.

I quit Jan 3, 2011. Did I gain a little weight? Yes. But am I actively working to take it off? Yes. You are a part of MFP to live a healthy lifestyle and keep off the weight. Quitting smoking will make your life better, not worse.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I quit in October 2011 and did not gain weight. I was on MFP at the same time which kept me in check. Not everyone gains after quitting, you can do it! Exercise can help with cravings.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    I never gained after smoking BUT, quitting was the start of me leading a healthy lifestyle so I also ate and worked out accordingly.