Question For People Who Have/Had A Lot To Lose...

Options

Replies

• jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I like to focus on "measuring" other less subjective things than what the scale says. Since I know it'll take me around a year to get to my goal, I like to make sure I can check off mini wins along the way:
    pushups
    challenges with friends
    strength training challenges
    walking challenges
    rowing challenges

etc.

Even when the scale and tape measure are being evil, I am happy to know I can do more pushups than I could at the beginning of the year. I can row for an a hour (grudgingly) and at the beginning of the year it was 10 minutes and I was done.

Set a lot of mini goals for yourself and stay consistent. You'll get there.
  • fromfattofine
    fromfattofine Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60+ lbs and I still can't tell. As far as my clothes, they are loose but they still fit. I ask myself all the time, have I even lost any weight? I don't know, but like you, I have a lot to lose. I do measure and I have lost inches, but I'm just not seeing it yet. Maybe I'll start taking photos as well.
  • LifeJacketWaterJogger
    Options
    you will see it better in the pictures, that's where i see mine check out my pictures!
  • LifeJacketWaterJogger
    Options
    i see what you ate you just killed the theory on not eating fruit to lose weight, i love your foods and i eat a lot of mushrooms myself!
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I started out at 335 lbs and honestly it took me losing 40-50 of those pounds before I (or most people) could see a difference. Don't judge yourself too harshly and keep doing what you are doing.
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Other people will notice long before you ever will!!! Don't get discouraged!
  • ncsjodi
    ncsjodi Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I totally agree that other people will notice it first. I'm so used to seeing myself much bigger that I don't see myself objectively in the mirror at all. I'll see a picture and be totally shocked that I look that thin! In the mirror, I still see myself as 260 pounds....
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I can still look at myself in the mirror and not see a difference. But I know its there. I hear it all of the time from people around me. My pants are 4 sizes smaller than when I started, so I KNOW the difference is there. Take lots of pictures along the way. That's the only place where I really "see" it is when I look back at pictures, especially side by side comparisons.
  • BelleHeart
    BelleHeart Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was 302lbs and I am now about 282lbs. I have lost 20lbs and I can DEFINITELY see a change in the mirror! My stomach is much flatter and I have an hourglass shape!! yaaaaay!! I still have a long ways to go though!
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I find it difficult to see but I took pics at regular points

http://weightwars.co.uk/progress/weight-loss-in-pictures/
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    The truth is you don't often see it yourself because you see yourself every day, and so it happens so gradually that it's impossible for you to notice as dramatically as someone who hasn't seen you in a good amount of time would. I started at about 294 lbs and I'm 150 now, but I didn't realize how much smaller I was until somebody pointed it out to me and showed me a picture of me at my heaviest.

Don't let the fact that you don't see a change in your day-to-day looks discourage you - it's like watching a plant grow, it happens too slowly for us to see a difference, but that doesn't mean it's not happening. Take a picture every month and you WILL see the difference.
  • Vivijeanne
    Vivijeanne Posts: 14
    Options
    I am not seeing the scales move at the moment but I have been taking pictures and so I can see the difference.

I am so glad of the photos as I would have been depressed if I did not have them

Many others around me are commenting as well so I know I look different even though I have lots more to lose

Keep at it and use tape measure and photos to help you stay on track

Good luck in reaching your goals :)
  • futuresizeeight
    Options
    I started out at 310 and am currently at 296, so I still have a LONG way to go. I do, however, see a slight difference in the mirror. I think the entire 14 pounds I've lost have been in my midsection, as my waist is noticeably more defined already.
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    So far I have lost 39 pounds, I have lost 2 pant sizes but in the mirror I feel I do not look any different than I did 39 pounds ago! I didn't take a starting picture, now I wish I would have because everyone says they can see the difference but I still can not.
    I still have around 95+ pounds left to lose and I just took a pic a few weeks ago so I can see my progress when I am done, kicking myself in the butt for not taking one when I first started!
    Don't get discouraged, keep eat right and exercising and I promise you will start noticing! It may take a while but it is all part of this long process. Best of luck! Feel free to add me if you would like!
  • geohow11
    geohow11 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    ...how long does it take to see results in the mirror? Just curious. If the scale is moving in the right direction and you're working really hard, how much weight do you have to lose so that it begins to show? I know for heavier people it tends to take longer to actually see (right?) and i promised myself i'd have patience and take comfort in the knowledge that as long as the scale says weight is coming off then it's coming off SOMEWHERE and i'd chill out and wait it out until i can see it. I guess what i'm looking for is reassurance and some real-life examples if possible. Thanks. =)

For me it was 100 lbs. before I began to see the difference in a mirror
  • joellefoote
    Options
    I don't have a scale..........Guess it's time to invest in one!!! I hope to see results of my workouts and dieting within a few weeks.
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    I see it in my face first. My face gets REALLY large...and when I start losing I can see a shadow of my cheekbones. ;) That's my guide in the beginning. Then it goes to pants and bras fitting correctly.

Keep going, you can do this!!! :)
  • fatgirlslim32
    fatgirlslim32 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh, I needed to see this post today. I've been getting a little disillusioned as to how long(!) I've been doing this and a lack of size lost so this thread has been great for me.

Maybe I'll start doing pictures too.
  • jaimemc86
    jaimemc86 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    How often do you all recommend i take pictures?

I have been taking pictures about every 2-3 weeks. While the changes are small, I want to be able to see multiple progressions. It's crazy how you notice different areas of your body in the pictures that you would never notice when you look in the mirror. For me, when I look in the mirror, I focus on two places: my belly and my upper arms. That is all I see when I look at myself. So I was very surprised to see how skinny my legs had gotten and how my butt got smaller in the pictures I took! If you are working out, you should also start to see your posture improve, especially in the pictures. Good luck!!!! :)
  • tr1982jr
    tr1982jr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hang in there sweetie and don't get discouraged if u keep doing what u know to do and hang in there u will c a difference... you are evidently determined to drop it, just feel good about who you are and hang in there because it is how you feel about you and you will c the change just keep going... it really isn't a diet it is a life style change that will have lasting results because you made a choice to do something different for yourself!!! :flowerforyou: