Replies

• Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    anything will work as long as you put the effort in it. END
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Like others have said, what works for one person may not work for another, but you will never know until you give it a try. Find a reasonably priced one that looks interesting to you and give it a go. I started with 30 day shred and hated it, then I moved on to Turbo Jam and Turbo Fire which was so fun I would often do the workouts twice a day. I lost most of the weight doing those dvd's. Then I decided I needed to start weight training, so I got Supreme 90, then P90X. I can tell you the fun cardio workouts were great for the weight loss but the weight training really shaped me and I got awesome results. Now I run (when I'm not injured) and go to the gym to lift heavy weights. It's been a progression to this point. Anyways, I loved workout dvd's but I love running more, and lifting heavy. Good luck to you whatever you decide.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I've done all kinds of workout dvd's, but I find the ones that mix up the workouts were easier to stick with as I didn't get tired of them easily. Jillian Michaels 30DS is a great beginner program, but you do each level for 10 days.. therefore, you have to listen/do the same thing for that amount of time before changing. I find that to be boring. I've also done her Ripped in 30 and you change every 7 days. I got great results with that as well.

I've done beach body's 10 minute trainer. It comes with a calendar and changes up the workout daily. That was easier for me not to do the same thing over and over for a long period of time. Also, Billy Blanks is good. Don't sleep on Tae-Bo!! Plus you do the workouts in a rotation.

I'm currently doing Insanity. I wouldn't suggest that to someone who is just starting out. It is more like endurance training. If you don't have that, you probably will not survive. However, since I've been consistently working out for a year and jog almost every day for the last 3 months my endurance is up there.

Like others said, check out YouTube and Netflix. They have several workout programs there. I like beach body dvd's but there are so many other choices. Find what is best for you!
  • Tapemymouthshutplease
    Options
    Yes, workout videos work! I have been working out to them for 20 years, I have a huge collection. P90x is fantastic but very challenging. The Firm has some great workouts if you are just starting, Tae bo is always good, I love Bob Harper, I am so sore after his workouts that I have trouble sitting down the next day! Lol. You really need to watch what you eat though, all the working out in the world won't help if you are eating a poor diet. Eat lean protein and eliminate sugar and alcohol, a healthy diet will take you far, good luck!
  • NeverGoingToQuit
    NeverGoingToQuit Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Do any of the DVD weight-loss systems work? Or is it just the same as going to the gym yourself and kicking your own butt? I Don't want to spend money on something that might get put on the shelves for being too repetitive or the same amount of effort as I may be doing myself.
    If any does work, what type of program would you recommend to keep on the shelf for a day of not wanting to go the gym?

In the summer, I am so busy with my boyfriend and family that we do not have time to go to the gym (we freeze our gym membership for the months of summer and go back in winter). During this time I love my workout DVDs. I use my This is Tae Bo DVD the most right now. Though I am obsese and have a long way to go, I break the workout up into ten minute intervals. I work out ten minutes, pause it with a 3-5 minute water break, and then back at it for another 10 minutes. I love it and the sore feelings I have afterwards knowing I got a good workout. I also enjoy my Wii. I use the Just Dance 2 sweat points program, Wii fit, and Zumba. Its a good workout.

Since everyone on here is talking about it, I am going to look up the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred as well!

Good luck to you!
  • xoMeaghan
    xoMeaghan Posts: 175
    Options
    I am currently doing Turbo Fire and I find it to be a great DVD program. Different routines each day so you don't get the same class everyday (which I would get bored with). I have had great results so far....18lbs. lost and 14 inches.

That's amazing! Good for you!! =D I should check this out possibly.

Thanks everyone for your input! Definately will be browsing the web for more options lol especially youtube ;D
  • xoMeaghan
    Options
    Most do work but you have to stick to them and observe strict nutrition practices while following the programs. Some are better than others but in the end the best program is the one you have the easiest time sticking with as 80% of it is diet anyway.

I've heard of that, too. I just wanna build muscle and a higher tolerance for cardio to keep my body in shape. I love my carrots! lol
  • xoMeaghan
    Options
    I normally go to the gym 5-6 days per week for 2-3 hours lifting and also doing cardio.

Jillians 30 Day Shred still continues to kick my butt, has me sweating like a pig, and it's only 25 minutes (with 5 min warm up and 5 min cool down)

Highly recommened and it's only about $10.

Search 30DS results on the forum if you don't believe me!

I believe you, I've been reading about it on here with other people saynig "Starting the 30 day shred!" I should check it out. Maybe get my family in on it so I'm not the only one dying haha.
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of free videos online, I recently found blogilates.com. She has a lot of awesome kick-your-butt videos. I mean seriously, five minutes into one, I was breathing pretty heavily. x.x
  • xoMeaghan
    Options
    I've done all kinds of workout dvd's, but I find the ones that mix up the workouts were easier to stick with as I didn't get tired of them easily. Jillian Michaels 30DS is a great beginner program, but you do each level for 10 days.. therefore, you have to listen/do the same thing for that amount of time before changing. I find that to be boring. I've also done her Ripped in 30 and you change every 7 days. I got great results with that as well.

I've done beach body's 10 minute trainer. It comes with a calendar and changes up the workout daily. That was easier for me not to do the same thing over and over for a long period of time. Also, Billy Blanks is good. Don't sleep on Tae-Bo!! Plus you do the workouts in a rotation.

I'm currently doing Insanity. I wouldn't suggest that to someone who is just starting out. It is more like endurance training. If you don't have that, you probably will not survive. However, since I've been consistently working out for a year and jog almost every day for the last 3 months my endurance is up there.

Like others said, check out YouTube and Netflix. They have several workout programs there. I like beach body dvd's but there are so many other choices. Find what is best for you!

You've done a lot, good for you! I really appreciate all the information =) Thanks!
  • daddyzgrrl28
    Options
    I do most of my fitness training at home and head to the gym for aerobics classes like Zumba and Step. I love, love LOVE Turbo Fire. It's fun, motivating and a GREAT workout. Turbo Jam is along the same lines only less intense. And I even still like to throw in my old Tae Bo DVDs every once in a while to shake things up. :-)
  • DLKeeble
    DLKeeble Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lovep90x
    lovep90x Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have done P90X and I really love it! I am doing it again for the second time. When I started, I could not complete any of the exercises. It seemed too hard and I had not exercised in years. I just did the best I could and figured that if I was sweating and my heart rate was up (WAY up) I was getting a good workout. I lost 20lbs and have more toned muscles. I have just started the Slim in 6 series to do with P90X. My library has many fitness dvds. Maybe yours does, too. Good luck!!
  • sassyredgirl
    sassyredgirl Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I tried jm 30ds today I hated it. M in love with the beachbdy one Hip Hop ABS I love how he is and the dance of it trying to find something similar I keep looking up Turbo jam but still unsure. Any suggestions?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I tried jm 30ds today I hated it. M in love with the beachbdy one Hip Hop ABS I love how he is and the dance of it trying to find something similar I keep looking up Turbo jam but still unsure. Any suggestions?

Would Shawn T's Rockin' Body be similar? I can't dance ... so I'm not familiar with these. I hated Turbo Jam .... but not a dancer. Chalene is a really fun instructor though.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    youtube.com
    search for the BEFIT channel

best ever, and free!
  • sassyredgirl
    sassyredgirl Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'll take a peek :-)