Any other post weight loss surgery people?

Options
I'm just curious if there are any other people here who've had some sort of weight loss surgery. I had the duodenal Switch about 4 years ago, Plastics about 2 years ago. I lost 160 pounds after surgery but still even after plastics I was only ever down to 199. Over this past winter I put on 30 pounds....totally my fault for eating like a pig and doing nothing. So I joined up here to try to loose those 30 pounds and maybe an extra 20 or so on top of that.

I'd love to join up with other post surgery people, compare what others are eating and all that stuff! My journal is public, so friend me if you want to join up!

Replies

• ldyminerva
    ldyminerva Posts: 21
    Options
    Bumping, cuz i really can't be the only one! :ohwell:
  • ragslittle
    ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I had gastric by pass 4 months ago...there is a group that you can join for those of us who have had the surgery. I have found it to be a great source of support and information.
  • outoftherain
    Options
    I had the sleeve done 3 months ago. Down 65 lbs ... loving it so far
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    There are several WLS groups. You may want to consider joining one (or more!) of them.
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    What is the "sleeve:?
  • leighanngates
    leighanngates Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had RNY in 2002, lost 150 pounds from then until 2004, then gained back 110 over the last 6 years. I've been on here for 20 days and doing pretty good. The thing I am noticing is that the more I eat better, the less it is taking to "fill" me up, and I am sometimes having trouble eating all my calories. As long as I am making healthy choices, do I HAVE to eat 1200? Is there some kind of setting we can change for having had the surgery? Advice and support welcomed.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass surgery in 2004. I've lost over 200 pounds and have maintained my loss Hang in there!! You can do this!!
  • gotpigs
    gotpigs Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'd be happy to chat with you and get support too! I just had part one of the switch done two months ago and I am down 38 pounds. I have some exercise limitations due to a disintegrating ankle and RA, and it is quite discouraging to me at times. Any little bit of support and motivation helps and I am glad to share it too!
  • ginib
    ginib Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I had a DS 10 years ago. Lost 100+ but never got rid of the last 10lbs. to reach goal. Well, actually I was below goal for a while when the opening to my stomach closed up and I couldn't keep any food down. I had to have a procedure involving a balloon to reopen it. Once that was fixed I put some weight back on. I'm here now to get rid of the last 10.

I'm basically following a low carb plan, playing with carb cycling. I remember being told after surgery to concentrate on protein first, then veggies and carbs. That's basically what I'm doing now.

Gini
  • leighanngates
    Options
    Y'all, I have a problem/question. I have been doing this tracker for 3 weeks now. I had been eating WAAAY wrong for several years, and at first, had no trouble meeting the 1720 calories it set for me. I was eating the wrong stuff, AND grazing all day. After the first week, I wasn't eating as much, so I lowered the calories to 1620. Then through that 2nd week, I noticed that I was feeling full a lot sooner, and began to immediately stop eating, the way my surgeon had told me to do. Last week, the 3rd week, I had lowered the calories to 1575, and still had trouble meeting them. Tomorrow I am lowering them again, to 1500, but I know from the past few weeks that that will still be more than I should be able to eat. I am also exercising several times a week, and people keep saying to be sure I eat the calories it adds back to my day. I simply can't. How do we, as surgery patients, figure out this calorie thing? I understand the whole deficit thing, and the whole "don't starve yourself" thing, but our systems are different. How do we know what to do?
  • fsthomas
    fsthomas Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I had a proximal RNY in 2003, lost it all and maintained until getting pregnant and my thyroid going haywire in 2010. I'm set at 1200 Cal's a day and it's been no issue as long as I plan my meals...I'm also getting back to post-op basics: lean protein first, no carbonated drinks, no drinking with meals, and back to my supplements. If you're not hungry, I wouldn't worry about it. When I track consistently, light days and rocky road days average out nicely, so I eat when I want, or not...best of luc
  • gotpigs
    gotpigs Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    There's a place that we can customize the amount of calories and grams of protein, fat, carbs, sugars, etc, whatever you want to put in. I have mine set on 1000 calories like my surgeon wants me on for right now. Let me see if I can remember how to do it. I think it's under settings somewhere. Friend me if you get stuck.
  • leighanngates
    Options
    There's a place that we can customize the amount of calories and grams of protein, fat, carbs, sugars, etc, whatever you want to put in. I have mine set on 1000 calories like my surgeon wants me on for right now. Let me see if I can remember how to do it. I think it's under settings somewhere. Friend me if you get stuck.

Thank you for the help. I need all of it I can get. LOL. I had found the way to change stuff a couple of weeks ago. I changed a few of the settings, but I just don't know what to set it on. My surgeon never told me an exact amount of the different categories, just said no more than 8 ounces at a time, (I blew that one a LONG time ago), and he said proteins first, fruits and veggies second, and complex carbs last. I have an appointment with a different doctor next week. (Moved away from the one who did my surgery.) I may have to find another gastro doctor to go see again.
  • barbarasmilez
    Options
    Nice to see I am not the only one with problems after weight loss surgery! I had the lap band done in 2006 and lost 80 pounds. This last year I have been experiencing thyroid problems and put on 50 pounds!! I just joined Fitness Pal to see if it will help me get back on track. Any and all support would be appreciated!
  • hellerd2003
    Options
    You're not alone. I had RNY 2001; lost 200 lbs; over the last 9 years I gained back appx. 120. This week, I went back to what my surgeon's restrictions were-- mainly NO FLUIDS with meals, lean proteins, limited carbs/ no simple carbs, no sugar in a serving >5gm. I've been feeling fuller and have lost a hair over 8lbs in 4 days.... that ought to tell you how out of whack my eating was. I'm disappointed that I let things get so out of hand, but I'm rededicated. Hopefully we can all keep each other motivated.
  • dmstinson
    Options
    I had a gastric bypass on 4/23/2012. So far I have lost a total of 100 pounds pre and post surgery. I am thrilled, but I am still hardly eating anything and feel physically hungry at times but just can't eat much. I'm still fascinated by food, but have no desire to eat, so that's a good thing for me. Certainly one of the best decisions I ever made was to have this surgery, even tho sometimes it is a difficult and painful process.