Need Motivation to workout!

Options
Hey all,

Looking for a little support and encouragement to get off to the gym this afternoon.

What helps you all get out there when you just DONT FEEL LIKE IT!?

Thanks!

Replies

• motivationalwellbeing
    Options
    I turn on my favorite work out song to shut that voice in my head up. :happy:

You can also try baby steps such as just getting dressed, then getting into the car, and so on. Moving quickly helps too. It changes your physiology and creates a sense of urgency as well as not give you much time to sit and debate with yourself on whether or not you should hit the gym.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I just think about how good I feel AFTER the workout - and I never regret working out, but alway regret skipping it. Then I strap on the old running bra and just do it! :laugh:
  • blessingsx2
    blessingsx2 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    What gets me out of bed in the mornings for my workout is Knowing how good I will feel afterwards. I would rather spend an hour doing my workout than spending the rest of the day kicking myself for staying in bed ;) JUST GET GOING!! And if you don't feel better afterwards let me know and I promise to never again tell you to GET GOING!! ;)
  • Long_and_Lean
    Long_and_Lean Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It really helps to look at before/after pictures of people who've been successful in losing the weight. That, and partaking in an exercise you truly enjoy (dance, for me) helps a lot!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I go first thing in the morning so there are no excuses. And I just start. Usually by 5 minutes in, I'm 100% committed, even if I didn't feel like it before that.
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    I think of my friend who died of a massive heart attack because he was overweight and didn't exercise a day in his life. Scares me to the gym.
  • nest9
    nest9 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I like watching YouTube videos of transformations! This usually does the trick to give me that little extra motivation.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I just think about how good I feel AFTER the workout - and I never regret working out, but alway regret skipping it. Then I strap on the old running bra and just do it! :laugh:

Right on...except for the bra part....
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Going to be honest..... I am motivated to workout so I can eat more that day or on the weekend. :blushing:
  • newfette81
    newfette81 Posts: 185
    Options
    I have a dress that I need to fit into in 11 and a half weeks... that's what makes me go.

But in all reality, there are times when I hate getting dressed to go to the gym, I hate going to the gym, and I may even hate it the whole time i'm there.... but afterwards I feel soooo good

Oh I also have a motivation board on Pinterest that helps when i really REALLY don't wanna go!
  • sgoessling
    sgoessling Posts: 119
    Options
    I get dressed in my workout clothes, shoes and all. If that doesn't work, i remind myself that the going there is always the hard part. If that doesn't work I look at pictures of me from this past Christmas, and that usually does it for me! lol Sometimes though, your body does need a rest, so if you just cant workout, just take a little walk for awhile or do some yoga. Sometimes its easier to focus on baby steps. If you cant work out everyday, go for a walk. Increase the length of your walk everyday. It helps me when not only get back motivated, but also get me out of the house.
  • NoSpandex
    NoSpandex Posts: 54
    Options
    I need big motivation, so I plan my next race and register (so there is no turning back). I do half marathons, so I know that I HAVE to get the training in or risk injury. That always does it for me, plus I have a race to look forward to (which will be out of town with a group of running buddy friends). If I want a fun race weekend, I have to earn it with the work.
  • 4everMyself
    Options
    Yeah I know how it feels to be unmotivated. Something that always helps me get on track is thinking of the possibilities of losing weight. For example, I dream of getting a belly button piercing, a tattoo on my shoulder, and just maybe, to be able to wear a bikini one day without looking like a bigger freak than I am now. Try to think about these things before you decide that you won't work out or before you start eating without thinking. They can push you farther than you think. If you need someone to cheer you on, don't be afraid to add me as a friend. I don't just add friends to raise my friend list. KEEP ON ROCKING! :D
  • caraguard
    caraguard Posts: 41
    Options
    I put on my "Rockin' Workout" playlist and that pumps me up. Sometimes it also helps to have a light snack about 90 minutes before I go, to get my body energized a bit. The afternoon slump can be killer!
  • PixiePickle
    PixiePickle Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i must admit my motivation just to go to the gym to exercise isn't great. I found that going a class much better for getting my butt down there. If I've committed to a class I have a time that I have to be there, so no putting off for just another 10 minutes or tomorrow, and I know I'll do my allotted time and leave because I'm not just going to jump off my spin bike half way through a class. :blushing:

Also going with somebody is good, my friend and I sometimes go swimming at lunch or to a class after work. It gives you somebody to have a good gossip with on the way there and back.
    :bigsmile:
  • cespool85
    cespool85 Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the helpful suggestions! I got my butt there and had a great workout!