tasty salad?

Options
So I just started getting on a diet and have about 20 lbs to lose. but ehenever I eat a salad I never know what to do with it! How do I make a tasty salad without any salad dressing ?(which I found oit has tons of fat and just aboit killed me)
Any recipies? Diet tips for starting out?
Thanks!

Replies

• davidr730
    davidr730 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Don't fear good fats like olive oil. I make my salads with Balsamic vinegar and virgin olive oil.
  • JudyL5305
    JudyL5305 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Don't fear good fats like olive oil. I make my salads with Balsamic vinegar and virgin olive oil.

Agree completely. I also load up my salad with lots of veggies. Anything you like you can add. it's a blank canvas!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I don't eat salad with zero dressing - blech! I don't see myself eating salad that way for the rest of my life. But, I MEASURE the dressing in advance, that way I force myself to get used to a smaller portion. I keep a coffee scoop (exactly 2 Tbl.) in my desk at work.

You might experiment by making your own dressing. Homemade is almost always healthier than bottled. Start with vinegar or lemon juice ... add seasonings & mix in a splash of oil (you don't have to use tons). Vinegars come in different flavors too.

Salsa might be a low cal option .....
  • jldunn713
    jldunn713 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid of the fat in dressing. Just be sensible about the kind you choose and amount. Because the fat has vitamin E and will keep you fuller longer. Sometimes, I do use salsa to add more flavor for less calories though. Other tips: pick your favorite veggies (you're more likely to eat it all if you like it), include fruits for sweetness (I love strawberries on my salads, or raisins), top it with protein sources like tofu, nuts, or beans (this will also fill you up more), the more colorful the better. Mostly, just have fun and make it look good!
  • fierceangel1982
    Options
    I have been skipping salad dressing for the past week and what works for me is loading up the salad with veggies that I like, adding tuna (either with no mayo or a small amount of mayo w/ olive oil), and topping with olives.
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    My favorite salad is spinach, grilled chicken breast sliced, strawberries, sliced almonds, and raspberry poppyseed dressing!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Little known fact: good lettuce like romaine and red leaf can be cooked down like any other green leafy vegetable (spinach, kale, etc). I can rarely stomach salads, but I loves me some stir fry. I take a lean chicken breast, cook it in a large wok, then fill the rest of the wok with lettuce and cook it down. Makes a HUGE plateful of food.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid of the fat in dressing. Just be sensible about the kind you choose and amount. Because the fat has vitamin E and will keep you fuller longer. Sometimes, I do use salsa to add more flavor for less calories though. Other tips: pick your favorite veggies (you're more likely to eat it all if you like it), include fruits for sweetness (I love strawberries on my salads, or raisins), top it with protein sources like tofu, nuts, or beans (this will also fill you up more), the more colorful the better. Mostly, just have fun and make it look good!

Hmm, this is slightly wrong. Fat does not contain vitamins. But vitamins A, D, E, and K are known as "fat-soluble" vitamins, which means they should be be consumed with some sort of fat to help absorb them into the body. That's why it's good to use a salad dressing with some fat, or a fatty topping (small amount) like avocado or cheese, to help maximize absorption of the vitamins found in the vegetables in your salad.
  • jldunn713
    jldunn713 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I did misphrase that. The actual fatty acids do not contain vitamins, but oils do contain vitamin e. Sunflower and safflower oil are good sources, but olive and soybean oils are decent too. It's no mistake that fat-soluble vitamins occur in naturally fatty foods.
  • MicaelaFW
    MicaelaFW Posts: 63
    Options
    i don't use dressing and because salad is min calorie I don't hesitate to dumping chicken/cheese in there... load up veggies and even nuts or dried fruit is good... but be careful not to overload it with too much calories :) good luck
  • Thomakk
    Thomakk Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love salad. No iceberg lettuce. Leafy greens, reds, and spinach. I use cottage cheese instead of salad dressing. I know it still has some fat, but a healthier choice. For more flavor, I add fresh ground pepper; and some crunch with sunflower seeds.

So many good toppings to choose: carrots, cucumbers, beans, mushrooms, a little cheese too.....yum!
  • ethansmug
    ethansmug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    For some reason I read the title as "Tossing Salad"

Excuse me while I look for the exit =P