Hi! New mom here!

Options
Hi all! I'm a new mom-I just had my baby 3 1/2 months ago. I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant, so I only gained 6 lbs total during my pregnancy. After my pregnancy I had free reign to eat what I wanted again, so I gained 10 lbs back. I was 307 when I found out I was pregnant, ballooned to 312, but then at the end of my pregnancy I was 284. After the baby was born, I dropped to 270, but now I'm back up to 280. I am going back home to Ohio for a visit in December, and I want to lose at least one pant size. I plan to work out 4 days a week-2 days cardio (usually a brisk walk pushing the baby for almost a mile and a half), and 2 days with strength training (ab work on a yoga ball, weight lifting, etc). Food is my issue. I need to eat healthy, but I quit my job and I eat because I'm bored. I'm also breastfeeding, so I need to eat more calories to sustain her and myself. Any ideas how to keep the boredom off? Or should I just replace the junk food with veggies and fruit?

Replies

• ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Add me! I stay home with my 9 month old.
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you like :)
  • mung222
    mung222 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    definitely take all bad foods out of the house and replace it with all natural healthy foods. Processed foods aren't good for breast feeding anyway. And try to stay as active as possible around the house. I know it can get boring. I had my son a year ago but I can remember my maternity leave was boring and I had a very hard time losing the weight. Actually i just got back to my pre-baby weight so it took a year. I gained 40lbs with my pregnancy though. Feel free to add me. I am good at cheering you on!!:flowerforyou:
  • davidr730
    davidr730 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My wife found mommy groups to walk with when our kids were born. Good luck!
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Well, the great thing about breastfeeding is you can eat more!! :) I'm also BFing my 5 month old and I use those extra calories ONLY IF I NEED THEM! I try to stay under my 1200 each day, but I'm still pretty hungry at the end of the day and my workouts, so the extra BFing calories really come in handy.

I say YES to fruits and veggies, but let's get real. Do you really have time to be cooking with your newborn? I certainly didn't, but if you do have time to make healthy meals, I say DO IT! :)
  • ASDavis72
    ASDavis72 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I understand about eating from boredom, when I first decided to stay home with my children I didn’t know what to do with myself. I have 3 under the age of 6, and boy are they busy, my daughter is what motivates me the most. I agree with the others, get all that bad food out of your house, not only for you, but for your family, because children mimic everything we do, the good and the bad. Also, try to find a mommy’s support group, maybe a stroller walking one or start one and invite friends and family. P90X works great for me I can do it while they nap or at bedtime so I won’t have to stop and start over. Good luck ;-)
  • debgetzfit
    debgetzfit Posts: 15
    Options
    I just finished BF'ing my 7 month old and am trying to work on limiting calories, but not starving myself...I was lucky enough to lose 98% of my pregnancy weight right away too, but haven't made anymore progress. I'm back at work so I have the problem of being at work, at my desk most of the day, and I eat when bored too. Add me and it will help both us stay focused and on-track...I'm just getting on MFP and can use support from anyone out there! :-)
  • AmyfromBama
    AmyfromBama Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me ... I'm a stay home mom with 2 girls ages 3 1/2 yrs old and 1 1/2 yrs old
  • mckellipgirl
    mckellipgirl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Your story is almost identical to mine! Except after my bout with gestational diabetes I ate everything I had not been able to while pregnant and gained 40 lbs. :|
    Good luck on your journey! :)
  • BrownEyedGrl81
    BrownEyedGrl81 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    add me too!! im a new mommy with a 3 month old!! :)
  • bayan2010
    bayan2010 Posts: 9
    Options
    Congratulations on your sweet baby, and for being at home with her and breastfeeding. I have a 2 year old toddler and I am FINALLY losing some weight that I've gained in the past 2 years. I didn't gain much during my pregnancy - was only 10 pounds over pre-baby weight after she was born. I lost a little bit in the first few months because I was so tired I couldn't even eat, and was breastfeeding 24/7. Then, after about 6 months I started to feel more rested and more like a human, haha, so I ate more, and I just started to gain and gain and gain. I wasn't exercising at all. I told myself I would, but I didn't! When she was almost 1 year, I started yoga and couldn't believe how I looked in my yoga clothes. So much fatter than ever in my life. I was on mat leave for 13 months, and breastfeeding the whole time, and let me tell ya, you don't need many extra calories for breastfeeding. If you're on a low calorie (under 1800/day ) meal plan or something, then you might want to consider how many calories you need for producing milk, but in my case, I definitely didn't need to ADD calories for breastfeeding. :) But, do add Omega oils (pills or liquids). When she was 18 months old I finally realized I was going to have to start buying new, larger jeans, and I just couldn't do it. I already went up 2 sizes. So I started watching my nutrition. But it wasn't until I found MFP and started counting calories that I actually lost weight. My point is, (I'll finally get to it, haha) don't wait too long to get on top of your health, because you could end up with a lot of extra weight to lose, and that can get you down. Being a new mom is very rewarding, and the best thing I've ever felt. At the same time, we sometimes focus all our love on to our babies and forget to care for ourselves. Like another person said, make your house full of good food and veggies and meats, and toss the high cal treats. You'll save yourself from the temptation! And try, try, try to get out and walk. Have a wonderful time with your newborn.
  • MaybeAMonkey
    MaybeAMonkey Posts: 247
    Options
    Congrats on the birth of your daughter! You can definitely lose some weight while breastfeeding ... most women don't realize that you only need an extra 500 calories a day over your regular calorie requirements to support your baby. Eating healthy will be great for the two of you. Strength training will be a perfect addition to your routine, building your muscles will help your body to continue to burn fat even when you're not sweating it out and you'll have more stamina the more you work your body. You mentioned that food is your main issue and that you need to eat healthier, have you tried looking up healthy recipes online? You can prepare healthy tasty food and then store it in your fridge/freezer in smaller containers so the portions are already divided up and you have something you'll want to eat that's also good for you. To combat boredom get up and get moving, put the baby in the stroller and talk a walk everyday - I have several mommy friends who walk mid-morning and mid-afternoon, more so they can get the exercise but also it helps break up the day and deal with boredom. You can join a mommy group with other mom's who have children near your daughter's age - it'll give you some adult interaction and will help develop a play group for your daughter. See if you can sign up for a mommy & me swim class - even at 3 months she can hit the pool too (my friend has been doing that with her daughter)! Also, there are a lot of websites that list exercises that you can do with your baby, you might find something there that you like. I hope you have fun while you work towards reaching your goals! Good luck and feel free to add me if you'd like another supportive person cheering you along!