Overnight Oats

Options
So someone led me to the skinnytaste site and I saw the overnight oats recipe. Also looked it up on youtube. I was wondering if anyone could give feedback on how this tastes? i always eat my oats warm, but making breakfast is a PAIN when you're trying to get out of the door to play "dodge the traffic". Not sure about eating this cold. I'm going to try it anyway, but I'd still love to hear some opinions in the meantime. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• ArmyRD
    ArmyRD Posts: 24
    Options
    My daughter did this just the other day. She hasn't said whether she liked them or not, but I am assuming she did. I also saw a pin on Pinterest about making cold oatmeal.

I am like you, though. I think I prefer my oatmeal hot.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    It's a staple of my diet. And I personally find it amazingly delicious.

The nice thing about it is you can add whatever you want to it (as long as you are mindful of the calories of what you add!). The other nice thing is that it takes about a minute to mix up the night before, and I can grab it out of the refrigerator in the morning and throw it in my pannier bag on my bicycle for my 14-mile commute. When I get to work, take my shower and instant delicious and filling brekkies awaits!

The oats and yogurt in equal proportions are the "base", then I add what I like.

My favorite recipe:

- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
    - 1/2 cup 1% yogurt
    - 1 tablespoon crunchy peanut butter (the good kind that says "ingredients: peanuts")
    - 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
    - 1 tablespoon molasses
    - 1 teaspoon cinnamon

Today's recipe:

- Oats and yogurt.
    - Same peanut butter
    - 1/2 cup blueberries I picked this weekend.
    - cinnamon.

It was delicious.

PS: You CAN heat up refrigerator oatmeal if you like. Microwave it, or put it in a double boiler, or just scoop it into a pot and heat it up. I've never actually tried it that way, it's REALLY GOOD cold and for me a lot more convenient. But when cold weather comes and I'm trying to warm up from a cold bicycle ride, I just might stop by the microwave on my way back from the showers and try it warm.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    So someone led me to the skinnytaste site and I saw the overnight oats recipe. Also looked it up on youtube. I was wondering if anyone could give feedback on how this tastes? i always eat my oats warm, but making breakfast is a PAIN when you're trying to get out of the door to play "dodge the traffic". Not sure about eating this cold. I'm going to try it anyway, but I'd still love to hear some opinions in the meantime. :flowerforyou:

I love them. To me they taste quite a bit different than regular hot oatmeal, which I definitely like warm! These, though, have more of a porridge or even pudding consistency.

I use the recipes here:
    http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    My favorite recipe:

- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
    - 1/2 cup 1% yogurt
    - 1 tablespoon crunchy peanut butter (the good kind that says "ingredients: peanuts")
    - 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
    - 1 tablespoon molasses
    - 1 teaspoon cinnamon

Oh! Thanks for sharing this. It sounds fantastic. I usually do the berry kind, but there's little on this planet I love more than peanut butter and chocolate.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    The taste is very mild (pretty much just softened oats) plus whatever you add. I didn't particularly like the tangy yogurt taste, so I omit it and just use equal parts oats and non-fat milk (1/4 cup of each), plus a dash of cinnamon & a little sweetener. Very easy. The oats don't get quite as soft as when they're heated, but I like the texture. Mine are also a little on the runny side. Nice cold breakfast on hot mornings.
  • runnergrlfl
    runnergrlfl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I love overnight oats. I usually micriowave for 10-15 seconds to take the chill out. I add a Tbsp chia seeds to all my oats too. Here are my two favorites.

Peanut Butter Banana Overnight Oats

1/2C Old Fashioned Oats
    1/2C Organic Vanilla Soy Milk
    1/4C Organic Fat Free Milk
    1 Tbsp Better’n Peanut Butter
    1 Large Banana, very ripe, mashed
    1 Tablespoon Flaxseed, ground (optional)
    2 teaspoons Agave Nectar (optional)
    1/4 oz sliced almonds(optional - add in the morning)

Blueberry Spice Overnight Oats
    1/3C Old Fashioned Oats
    1C Organic Fat Free Milk
    1 half banana, mashed
    1C Blueberries
    1/2 tsp Cinnamon
    1/4C Granola (optional - add in the morning)
  • abcgsh
    abcgsh Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    When I first made this and tried it, I wasn't to sure at first. After trying it the second time I liked it and been eating it ever since, I do add Chia seeds in mine. I like the fact it is a quick fix and having it ready for the next morning.
  • sky15425
    sky15425 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pinklily905
    pinklily905 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm an addict! Tried these a few months ago and have them 5-7 times a week now! I always use protein powder and chia seeds in mine too. If you like pumpkin...add 1/4 cup pumpkin, agave, and pumpkin spice to your liking...yum! I often add cocoa powder and raspberries too..now I'm hungry lol
  • Fiona_Bullough
    Fiona_Bullough Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    It's tasty. I usually do

1/2 cup oats
    1/2 cup greek yogurt
    1/4 cup milk
    Peanut butter
    Banana
    Honey
    Chocolate protein powder

I also drop the PB and protein powder and switch it up for berries, mangos and other fruits. Thin apple slices and cinnamon are great in it as well
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I make mine with oats, almond milk, chia seeds, greek yogurt and whatever fruit I have. Very yummy! :)
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I'm rather excited now. I can't wait for morning! And tomorrow's a Wednesday! Perfect day for new food. :3
  • girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Love them! I like to eat them cold right out of the fridge (it is so HOT right now, and the cold oats really hit the spot.) Plus, I don't have an excuse not to eat breakfast before work-I just grab and go.

The night before I put in a jar:
    1/2 c quick oats
    1 c vanilla coconut milk
    1tsp cinnamon
    1 banana, chopped.

Shake it up, leave in the fridge overnight, and it's good to go!
  • sawadoll
    sawadoll Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes! They are amazing! I used to be a museli and yogurt kind of girl but now I am converted! My favourite flavor is strawberry and rhubarb. If you put greek yogurt in too it makes it taste devine!
  • russ1220
    russ1220 Posts: 58
    Options
    BUMP!
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried them I didnt like them...but after some playing around to get the texture/consistancy I liked I am fully converted and LOVE them!

My "base" consists of:
    1/4 cup dried old fashioned oats
    1/4 cup vanilla greek yogurt (i found the plain greek yogurt to be too tangy and bitter, but vanilla took care of that!)
    1/8 cup milk + a little extra if its too thick after shaking
    1 tsp ground flax seed (chia seeds are too expensive for me right now)

Then add the special ingredients to your liking:

My favorites are 1Tbsp crunchy PB with 1/2 tsp cocoa powder!
    I also like to replace the milk with pineapple juice and add 1/4 cup crushed pineapple and 1/8 cup shredded coconut.

I love that it provides a healthy, well rounded meal first thing in the morning. It makes a 1 cup serving size (I make it in a 1/2 pint mason jar) and keeps me full until lunch! And...there is nothing better than having something sweet in the morning, especially if it involved chocolate! I like that the possibilities are endless and its so easy.

And I also enjoy hot oatmeal and especially hot steel cut oatmeal. But this is becoming a new favorite, especially for hot summer days.
  • Fiona_Bullough
    Fiona_Bullough Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Just going to try this out now!

Can someone please 'translate' for me!! How big is a cup of oats/yoghurt/milk??!! I need weights and measures!! (g/ml).

Is a cup like a pint or a tea cup??
    :smile:
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have recently discovered overnight oats and I am addicted. I don't eat cereal anymore because 1) I tend to binge on it and 2) it's overly processed but I find when I eat this, it feels like eating cereal! It's sooo good.
    I use 40g oats (1/2 cup) 20g honey (1 tbsp) 50g strawberries, 1 cup milk. I have also been adding 15g (1 tbsp) chocolate chips. Sooo good. I was thinking of adding cocoa powder next time.
    I'm super glad I found this too because I was so tired of oats. I was trying to get myself to eat them more because it's cheap for a bag of oats but I couldn't make myself eat it anymore.