will giving up diet coke really help me?

Options
I am thinking of giving up diet coke, does anyone think this will help with my sugar cravings? Or will just cause more cause i'm not getting a wee sugary bubbly kick?

I really love my diet coke, don't drink any hot drinks so this would really leave me with water or dilute juice, don't particullary like either of those but at the min my only drinks are diet coke.

Any advise is welcome

Replies

• carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    You'll probably get a ton of replies telling you yes, give up the diet coke immediately. I kind of doubt it will make any difference. I'd suggest dropping the coke for a couple of weeks to see what happens.
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Advice***

And I say drop it and drink water instead.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Try it for a short period of time and see.

I think it will end up making you miss diet coke.
  • wattssal000
    wattssal000 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I know that once I went for 30 days without drinking any diet pop to see if it would help with weight or sleep or anything and personally I didn't notice any difference so I just went back to drinking it. I LOVE diet pop :)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    If you like Diet Coke, don't give up Diet Coke. Your cravings are probably linked to something else, like a lack of proper macronutrients or boredom.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Try it for a short period of time and see.

I think it will end up making you miss diet coke.

Fabulous suggestion, and I agree.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Fabulous suggestion

I stole it from someone above me. LOL

=)
  • NWCyclingBeast
    NWCyclingBeast Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    There's a lot that I would give up before giving up Diet Coke altogether. It is what I mix my Bacardi with! LOL... I seriously cut it back, though.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how much you drink. If it's one a day, no big deal just keep having your pop. If that's all you drink... you might want to consider at the very least cutting back.

I really like the Mio water enhancer things; you might try something like that.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I drink 4 diet mountain dews a day. I won't quit. I have met all of my weight loss and fitness goals and as you can see from the picture I am not unhealthy, inactive, skinny fat, and the nasty chemicals in diet drinks are not keeping me from doing anything. I'm off to the gym to go run 8 miles in 64 minutes.

Keep your diet coke! Lord knows I couldn't get through the day without caffeine :-)
  • CharMarieDavis
    Options
    I don't think it's a problem as long as you are still drinking your 64 oz. of water.
    Will giving it up help you lose weight? Probably not
    Will giving it up help with sugar cravings? Maybe-Worth a try
    Will replacing it with water help you get healthier? Of course
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    i lost weigh with coke in my diet!
  • kaetaa
    kaetaa Posts: 1
    Options
    Nope, lost 200+ pounds so far, and I binge drink diet coke everyday. If everything else is in check (no binge sugar eating etc), its fine.
  • allisonleigh11
    Options
    I love diet coke and coke zero.... I also might have a wee caffeine addiction... so that doesn't help my love for it. I could last more then a week! :) But i have heard cutting out ALL pop out of your diet and switching to water does help you lose weight!
  • camelgirlmn
    camelgirlmn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking regular soda and lost 10 pounds but then my fiancee introduced me to coke zero. and then i stopped drinking that and it made no difference. so i drink one can or 12 ounces of coke zero a day :)
  • mom2my3angels123
    Options
    I stopped drinking pop. and they say if you do, you'll end up possibly losing as much as 60 pounds in a yr. that's what happened to me. you're not doing your body any favours by putting that in there.
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Don't give it up. Us it as a dessert not for hydration.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke is sugar free.
  • donna_do_good
    Options
    I love it to, am just clutching at straws here to help myself.

Thanks everyone
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    other than the fact that you have trained your body to "like" it and it now satisfies that learned behaviour, there is nothing else of value for your body. Once you have quit drinking it for even a short amount of time, taking a glass of it will be shocking and you will be able to taste it in a different and unpleasant way. (for me anyway)

Does it hurt you? there is conflicting information on that angle.

since there is an ongoing debate in the scientific and medical communtity about the harmful effects, why drink it?

there seems to be no debate as to the fact that it has zero nutritional value for you,

try giving it up and see.