Punk rockers??

Options
124»

Replies

• ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add Husker Du to my list.....
    and Skinny Puppy
    and MC5
    and the Clash
    and Elvis Costello
    and The Damned
    And Patti Smith, Fugazi, the NY Dolls, Richard Hell, Social D, Dead Boys, Suicidal Tendencies...

I'm digging out my albums tonight!!!!!
  • AZChristy
    AZChristy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    <
    loves old school hardcore and is a record collector.
  • AZChristy
    Options
    I love how punk keeps on going. I was into it back in the early days -- punk hit Austin Texas around 1980 when I was 15. Who woulda thunk it would still be going strong 30 years later!

I still try to make it to Chaos in Tejas in Austin every year.
  • KatieMae75
    KatieMae75 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    My friend Sheena is.

And so is Judy.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    No *kitten*?? LOL .... NO!!! OMG... that's hilarious.. I was just stating a couple of semi-random music-related facts, like you did.

Yeah....and don't the Japanese make the cutest punk rockers. :happy:

Any culture that accepts grown men hugging large pillows with pictures of women on them in public is cute IMO lol
  • Mel2626
    Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    gotta add 7 Seconds since i haven't seen them mentioned yet :)

Man, I loved Kevin - he's still rockin', too.
    haha Love me some 7 Seconds! My bf was just telling me this weekend about a random run-in with Kevin at CBGB’s discussing the filthy bathrooms there!

Any Bouncing Souls fans out there? I might go see them at the end of the month and am curious as to how good they are live. I'm assuming awesome but just thought I'd ask.

Hmmm I’ve seen them so many times but it really depends on what mood they’re in. They can play really great or they can put on a *kitten* show~ though I admit it’s been years since I’ve seen them so maybe they’re actually trying again! lol
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Ths is seriously sad! When people associate punk with this crap your describing and now throwing. In Beats per minute???? PUNK IS DEAD!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    No *kitten*?? LOL .... NO!!! OMG... that's hilarious.. I was just stating a couple of semi-random music-related facts, like you did.

Yeah....and don't the Japanese make the cutest punk rockers. :happy:

Is there anything the Japanese can't do?! Seriously, where would I be without Sailor Moon?? Sushi?? Karaoke?! ....and these adorable punk rockers...
  • AZChristy
    Options
    Ths is seriously sad! When people associate punk with this crap your describing and now throwing. In Beats per minute???? PUNK IS DEAD!

Depends on your perspective. If you mean the super fast, unpolished, three chord crap, with ignorant offensive lyrics, fueled by the Reagan administration, that I personally love, then yes punk is dead.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I love running to Rancid, Distillers, NOFX, Vandals, Cramps, Misfits... but I run a lot faster to LMFAO. :blushing:

lol love it! I've got a secret liking for LMFAO.. well I have 3 girls between 2 and 13 so it's catching.

I love old school punk, metal (Metallica, AC/DC, Danzig etc), rockabilly. I've seen Bad Religion and the Vandals along with loads of old UK punk bands including 999 and my fav's Anti-Nowhere League. Also love NOFX. and although more ska I love the Mighty mighty bosstones. They're great for exercising too. I grew up in London in the 70's so the likes of Toyah, Blondie, the sex pistols, Adam and the ants (pop punk), and the specials were my childhood education. :) no glam rock in my life. lol
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options

When asked why their songs were so short, Joey Ramone said that they were actually long songs, played fast.

"Punk" as a musical genre is necessarily associated with beats per minute. It was a throwback to old-school rock and a rejection of the grandiose, expansive style of rock that was popular in the early seventies. As such, it was played fast and hard, just like the original rock music, and tends to be in the tempo range called "presto." I only made the comment connecting it to my running pace because my stride rate is also "presto." That, and this is a fitness web site.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Punk is so many things, and it's not anymore what it was originally intended. The sooner you get a grip with that, the sooner you'll just enjoy it. Original punk, ala Sex Pistols, Germs, Circle Jerks, etc were the forefathers of the big movement. At the same time though, you have to remember that there were The Clash and Blondie and people like that who you can't really have this conversation at all without mentioning them. There were so many branches that hung out there and grew on their own from the era, that is no one kind of punk. Punk music bascially formed many version of music we hear today and launched ska, heavy metal, death metal, and many other forms of music and pop music we enjoy today. The Cure would not exist without punk having existed same with the Pretenders and many, many others that took the pop route. So, it was an important era in it's day, and now serves a different purpose. For the most part, it doesn't have much to say anymore. When it does, it's not too popular.

A high-school neighbor was telling me that he likes punk, and then mentioned Weezer. I almost spit out my beer in laughter. Weezer punk? LOL. But, to him it is. To me, punk is Black Flag, Sex Pistols, Germs, Circle Jerks, and Crass. But, to others, it's something else. My best friend call Pennywise punk. I get it. It's So Cal 80's skate punk, I guess. But, it took me a long time to internalize that. I just don't see it that way for a lot of reasons.

Stepping back, I am able to see the lines between why someone calls Blink182 punk and why someone would think that's stupid. Same with Green Day. I love Green Day, but I just can't really, in my heart, think of them as punk. But, to a lot of people, they are. It's OK.

What I am trying to say is saying this is punk and that's not is futile and really doesn't matter much. It's up to each individual to decide. Some of us that are a little older actually lived thorugh the punk era and have an understanding from the ground up. For those that were born in the 80's or 90's, those view points will be different and they may view it more as a stylized music source, not so much a statement about society, or the ansgt against goverment and the typical things in life that are accepted as true.

I hate when people argue about what is punk and what isn't.

Punk doesn't care what you call it. It just is there. That's all. You decide.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I love how punk keeps on going. I was into it back in the early days -- punk hit Austin Texas around 1980 when I was 15. Who woulda thunk it would still be going strong 30 years later!

I still try to make it to Chaos in Tejas in Austin every year.

I had to look that up...way after my time!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Punk is so many things, and it's not anymore what it was originally intended. The sooner you get a grip with that, the sooner you'll just enjoy it. Original punk, ala Sex Pistols, Germs, Circle Jerks, etc were the forefathers of the big movement. At the same time though, you have to remember that there were The Clash and Blondie and people like that who you can't really have this conversation at all without mentioning them. There were so many branches that hung out there and grew on their own from the era, that is no one kind of punk. Punk music bascially formed many version of music we hear today and launched ska, heavy metal, death metal, and many other forms of music and pop music we enjoy today. The Cure would not exist without punk having existed same with the Pretenders and many, many others that took the pop route. So, it was an important era in it's day, and now serves a different purpose. For the most part, it doesn't have much to say anymore. When it does, it's not too popular.

A high-school neighbor was telling me that he likes punk, and then mentioned Weezer. I almost spit out my beer in laughter. Weezer punk? LOL. But, to him it is. To me, punk is Black Flag, Sex Pistols, Germs, Circle Jerks, and Crass. But, to others, it's something else. My best friend call Pennywise punk. I get it. It's So Cal 80's skate punk, I guess. But, it took me a long time to internalize that. I just don't see it that way for a lot of reasons.

Stepping back, I am able to see the lines between why someone calls Blink182 punk and why someone would think that's stupid. Same with Green Day. I love Green Day, but I just can't really, in my heart, think of them as punk. But, to a lot of people, they are. It's OK.

What I am trying to say is saying this is punk and that's not is futile and really doesn't matter much. It's up to each individual to decide. Some of us that are a little older actually lived thorugh the punk era and have an understanding from the ground up. For those that were born in the 80's or 90's, those view points will be different and they may view it more as a stylized music source, not so much a statement about society, or the ansgt against goverment and the typical things in life that are accepted as true.

I thought it had everything to do with attitude...but then again I'm old and haven't had a "punk attitude" since about 1985. There's one Green Day song that makes me think of the Sex Pistols...can't recall the name...but just one. The rest is pop/rock imo.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

I thought it had everything to do with attitude...but then again I'm old and haven't had a "punk attitude" since about 1985. There's one Green Day song that makes me think of the Sex Pistols...can't recall the name...but just one. The rest is pop/rock imo.

If you're asking me, real punk is about anarchy. Now, most of it is about being a pu**y and whining about things.

Well, you asked. LOL. That's how I feel about it. Listen to early punk, they weren't whining at all, they were saying fu*k the system and they meant it. Yes, it's about attitude, but it's so much more than that.

Check out what Jello's up to these days.
  • H8T3D
    H8T3D Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I workout to a lot of hXc, bands like Terror, Earth Crisis, Hatebreed, Blood 4 Blood and Sworn Enemy.. I have tons of old school punk on my ipod but don't workout much to any of it. I find Hardcore music a bit more inspiring when working out!!