Your first few weeks

Options
So i am going on the third week now and have lost a lot of motivation. I started strong and slowly went down hill. NOT quite back to my old habits but almost there. I am just wondering what everyone else did if and when they experienced the same thing.
I know my problem is all mental but I just don't know what to tell myself I seem to be making more and more excuses

Replies

• mgs68pony
    mgs68pony Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Find out what gets you motivated........for me it is a picture of me from 6 years ago, when I actually like the way I looked. Everytime I start feeling like quitting......I look at it. I also started an exercise journal to keep up with what exercizes and duration of exercize daily and to keep up with measurements. I would put little notes on the cover everytime I logged in here 5, 10, 15, 20 etc days in a row. I know it sounds goofy, but it worked. I also found motivation pictures on line and plastered them on fridge and freezer and found a 365 day motivational calendar online.

Good Luck and don't give up!
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Hi Emma, I'm in my 7th week of my 25th diet plan. I've done real well so many times I'd start losing weight and then I'd say I can add this or I can add that. Well it hasn't worked the past 24 times so I'm refusing to do it again. I have nothing in the house that would sabotage my diet. I was a Fast food junkie, I would blindly drive through a restaurant and eat in the car on the way home. Of course I had to buy extra food so that way I had food at home too. This time my drive is stronger than ever, as I drive past all those restaurants I think to myself is eating that food worth the time I will need to exercise to work it off...always I say no it's not worth the time or energy. I have a photo of myself at my heaviest on my fridge and each time I get in there I have to see that photo and it's a reminder as to where I was. I'd love to have a photo up of me thin but I was in high school then. I'm now 50 and I've wasted to many years being FAT...no food is worth it. Find what works for you and do it...best of luck
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I am a stats geek so in the beginning I was tracking my food and exercise calories on an Excel spreadsheet, and had a formula for how much I 'could' lose given those stats over a period of time. It tricked me into wanting to hit that next number and eventually it just became a habit. I didn't start using MFP actively until around October of last year, and haven't looked back.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    hire a trainer.. dropping money on something will sure motivate you and you'll gain a new bestie while you're at it.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I just take off my clothes and look at myself in a full length mirror. That's all I need.

Hope you can find something to keep you motivated. :)
  • GaidenJade
    GaidenJade Posts: 171
    Options
    Five times I have tried, telling myself that this was it. But each time I slipped back, my motivation to keep going just dragging and finally I gave up. It was too much work, too much deprivation....just too much.

Though, seriously since I came to MFP.... I haven't had too much of a problem. One reason.

I think of my daily calories allowance as sort of like a budget. I'm great with budgets. So every time I want to eat something, I think. What can I eat to get the most bang for my buck? A huge bowl of grapes, or one candy bar? Easy choice.

I do this for everything.

Down 17lbs in 6 weeks...... I couldn't be happier and am loving this new life style.

If the exercising it your problem, just start off easy and work your way up. If it's eating right, if that is too hard...remember in time you will get better. Bad habits take time to change. Just don't give up.

If you give up on eating right, then basically you are giving up on yourself, your health and your life. You deserves so much better than that.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    The first few weeks are tough. Mine definately were. The first week wasn't too bad. I usually stick with a "diet" for about 2 weeks then give up. The first week, I lost 4lbs. That was pure motivation. The second week, I lost 2lbs. That same week, I was faced with so many temptations Fazolis, Cheeseburger in Paradise, Rallys, and my dad's 60th birthday party which included NY style pizza and cake! I turned all of it down without thinking twice. Did I want it? Well hell yeah. I got so much grief about not eating it too. "well, a slice a pizza won't hurt you". Well, when you are first starting out, that rule doesn't apply (in my opinion). Yeah, it's great every once in awhile, but now when you are first starting out on a lifestyle change, not so great. That's just my opinion though. I don't deprive myself. I eat what I want when I want. :) Keep your head up and remember tomorrow is another day.
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It helps me to remember that I enjoy feeling great and looking better without the extra pounds. You can do this for you!
  • emmab852012
    emmab852012 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys I definitely i think i need to learn how to take it one day at a time instead of oh i hate a chocolate bar yesterday so i messed up my whole week so it doesnt matter what i eat.