What 3 "healthy" meals do you make often?

Options
NeuroticVirgo
NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
What are 3 meals you cook a few times a month?

Me -
1) Tostadas w/ homemade beans
2) Brenner (breakfast for dinner)
3) Tuna Sandwiches

Replies

• urbansmamma
    urbansmamma Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    1) red lentil dal... It is Uh-MAZING!!! http://edenkitchen.com/red-lentil-dahl/

2) Chickpea burgers... A million times better than any veggie burger out there http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/10/colleens-chickpea-burgers-with-tahini-sauce.html

3) This super healthy chili http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2012/01/healthy-super-bowl-party-chili.html
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Pasta with Crockpot turkey sausage sauce from Gina/Skinnytaste
    Chicken scallopine with roasted potatoes (my own)
    Rustic Italian Tortellini soup (from Sparkspeople. You've gotta try this!)

(my 3 stand-bys)
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    You'll see these things in my diary quite often:

1. White bean chicken chili: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/white-bean-chicken-chili/detail.aspx I usually use fresh tomatillos and cook my own beans from dry to keep the sodium down. Frozen corn is much less hassle than fresh.

2. Baked salmon with sides (often boiled potatoes and sauteed veggies). I like it coated with a "dill pesto" (fresh dill, garlic, lemon zest & juice, a bit of oil, salt & pepper), balsamic glaze (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/balsamic-glazed-salmon-fillets/detail.aspx), or if I'm tired I just dust it with garlic salt and pepper. LOL

3. Eggwich - it's my main morning thing these days. Thomas' light multi-grain English muffins have 100 calories and decent fiber. I've got it down to a science and can do it in 5 min before work - even on crutches LOL. Just fry an egg and add some egg substitute to increase the protein, toast the English muffin while the egg's cooking, smear on some flavoured (garlic & herb) light cream cheese and assemble. About 250 calories, 28g carbs, 10g fat, 18g protein, 450 mg sodium.
  • misslexii
    misslexii Posts: 19
    Options
    Spinach, Mushroom and Ricotta "Risotto" using Quinoa instead of rice.

Scrambled egg whites with grated zucchini, baby spinach, mushroom, garlic and chilli.

"Satay" stirfy - Tofu, Miracle Noodles, Carrot, Capsicum, Snow Peas, Broccoli with Almond Spread/Lime Juice
  • elm2008
    elm2008 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    stir fry
    veggie sandwiches
    protein packed omlets
  • tabilw
    tabilw Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    1. Vegetable Crepes
    2. Tuna Cakes
    3. Elk steak fajitas
  • sofia0586
    sofia0586 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    cilantro lime chicken
    three bean chili turkey
    pot roast
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    1. Some sort of lentil and vegetable curry
    2. Tofu stirfry with basil and chilli
    3. Cajun chicken and spinach salad

I actually make these things at least once a week... Here's to the basil tofu stirfry kick never ending.
  • geeniusatwurk
    geeniusatwurk Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    1. Baked chicken breasts seasoned with onion, cayenne, and garlic powder. Side of broccoli, spinach, green beans, or peas (or a mix).

2. Baked chicken breasts marinated in sweet chili sauce (called mae ploy or something like that). Same sides

3. Tuna patties, open faced, on those thin sandwhich whole wheat bread disc things. Flavored with chipotle salsa, mustard, banana peppers, and diced jalapeno. Side of cottage cheese and veggies.

My fridge, freezer, and pantry are basically only filled with the stuff to make these 3 things, along with some skim milk for my whey shakes
  • HLeAnn
    HLeAnn Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    1. Mediterranean stuffed chicken breasts/thighs w/ steamed vegetables

2. Tuna fish mixed with baby spinach-(just a big salad lol)

3. salmon patties
  • tansygreen
    tansygreen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bump really want to get some ideas from this but need to log off got to go out. :)
  • beingmotivated
    Options
    Omlette (http://beingmotivated.tumblr.com/post/27399626560/thefitty-how-to-make-an-omlette-great-as-a - my blog for losing weight)

Usual salads and fruit

Can't really think of a third one since I don't have a lot of variety in foods.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    1. Spinach Salad (loaded with all kinds of goodies)
    2. Scrambled Eggs with Cheese in a Wheat Pita Pocket (add picante sauce)
    3. Tuna Melt (sometimes with 1 wheat bread and sometimes without bread at all)
    4. Quinoa Tabbouli (had to add this 4th one because it is my newest favorite)
  • WillPowerYes
    WillPowerYes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    ground turkey tacos made with whole wheat tortilla (soft), no cheese

ground turkey spaghetti made with whole wheat spaghetti-noodles, no cheese

chicken stir fry
  • nhga47
    nhga47 Posts: 118
    Options
    1) Bobby flay grilled chicken cordon bleu with fresh lemon juice.
    2) Arugula Chicken salad with fresh beans, egg whites, etc.
    3) Snack: Greek yogurt, with fresh vegies like carrots and brocoli! My junk food snack. LOL
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    stir frys
    chicken roast dinner(no spuds or dry roasted)
    chicken or turkey soups/stews
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    1. Baked chicken breasts seasoned with onion, cayenne, and garlic powder. Side of broccoli, spinach, green beans, or peas (or a mix).

2. Baked chicken breasts marinated in sweet chili sauce (called mae ploy or something like that). Same sides

3. Tuna patties, open faced, on those thin sandwhich whole wheat bread disc things. Flavored with chipotle salsa, mustard, banana peppers, and diced jalapeno. Side of cottage cheese and veggies.

My fridge, freezer, and pantry are basically only filled with the stuff to make these 3 things, along with some skim milk for my whey shakes

i'm coming round yours later... yummy my sort food!
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Since moving to the UK I really don't cook much as there are so many excellent and cheap 'ready to cook' meals available. Even when I do cook it's mostly assembling things i.e. they have precut mixed stir fry veges which you can just dump in the the wok.

So my most often used low cal dinners are...

*Chicken stir fry
    * Oven baked fish and chips with veges
    * Some kind of baked chicken with mashed potatoes and heaps of kale
  • fluffytattie
    Options
    1. Homemade Diet coke chicken
    2. Homemade tandoori chicken with rice
    3. Homemade burgers with salad and potato wedges
    4. Homemade enchilladas

As you can see I cook pretty much all my meals from scratch. That way I know what's going into them and can reduce oil and salt, and can substitute fatty ingredients for leaner ingredients.

The recipes for these dishes are on my losing weight blog: http://losingweightisnopieceofcake.blogspot.co.uk/
    (Except diet coke chicken and enchilladas - I'll put them up soon though).

:)
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Stir fry
    Pita pizza
    George foremaned chicken on anything :)