PCOS + weight lost

Options

Replies

• lrkidd
    lrkidd Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't have PCOS but I have Insulin Resistance which is part of the whole PCOS issue. Low carb it!!!! It is the only way that you will ever be able to lose the weight!!!
  • MartiJ521
    MartiJ521 Posts: 434
    Options
    I have PCOS and I'm having trouble losing weight too. it's very frustrating. feel free to add me ya'll :)
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS - and have managed to lose 115lbs
    I still have a bit more I'd like to lose however

I started out small - but before I found out I was pregnant - I worked high intensity workouts about 6 days a week and NET 1400 calories a day. Being that I have a fairly active job and still am over 200lbs - 1400 isnt a whole lot - but I found the scale wouldnt move unless I cut that low.

From personal exeperience - I found going to the extremes was the only thing that worked for me. And BE HONEST with your diaries - you are only hurting yourself
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I do, and weight loss is VERY slow.
    Feel free to add me, would love to have more friends that have similar difficulties losing weight.
    Good luck!
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Great to hear other peoples stories and that we're not alone in all of this.
  • sophie_wr
    sophie_wr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have PCOS too! I had no idea it might impact my weight loss, or lack thereof...good to know.

hey !
    cant believe no doctors explained that to you !!!
    it's another proofs how Drs have lack of consideration for this symptom, as long as youdont get pregnant, they just put on B/C without any other explanations.... so stupid.
  • blaze1zanebrobst
    Options
    i do too............ it sucks so bad add me if u like. i also have had a hard time loosing the second 100 lbs. the thinner i get the other semptoms are better but the loosing weight one not so much
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Yes I only lost 10lbs in 3 and half months but I refuse to give up am just going to work harder.
  • Munchkinated
    Options
    Sometimes I wish I didn't have PCOS *sigh
  • emg9
    emg9 Posts: 112
    Options
    I don't have it myself, but i was told that i mat have it last year and didn't get a scan for ages so was convinced i did have it. I do however have some of the symptoms PCOS brings and i do think it's effecting my weight loss. I heard that having acupuncture was a good way of quickening things up and getting you're metabolism up. I've tried starting the pill.. not really sure if it's having a positive effect or not :/ these things take time i guessssss.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    For a lot of the PCOS sufferers out there - the good news lies in the fact if we can manage to get our weight down - the symptoms are usually controlled.
  • SashaJaneJ
    SashaJaneJ Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have lost 154.5 pounds since starting MFP in May of 2011. You can add me if you would like.
  • uzit_13
    uzit_13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have lost 154.5 pounds since starting MFP in May of 2011. You can add me if you would like.

Are you on metformin?
  • pinkpolkadots25
    pinkpolkadots25 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have it and have lost 109 lbs (260 to 151) in a year. It is tough but sooo worth it. I take 2000 mg of Metformin per day. Feel free to add me if you would like.
  • rhinowithonehorn
    Options
    Does anyone have PCOS and having hard time loosing weight ? I have struggled with my weight my whole life and recently found out I have PCOS which is directly related to weight gain and not being able to loose weight. I work out 3 times a week eat very healthy and can't seem to loose I need friends and support of people dealing with PCOS.... any advice on how to drop the lbs?

I am by no means an expert but I have read countless times the most common way doctors recommend fighting pcos is a 1000 calorie diet. It is low enough to force you to lose weight regardless.
  • chaverland77
    chaverland77 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    What's PCOS? I coun't see in any of the messages what this is.....I'm interested.....
  • Maddi_InBetweenDays
    Options
    I have PCOS and it's was hard to get my weight loss started, but it's been nine months and I'm down 25% of my original starting weight, with the big bonus of having a clear ultrasound at my last checkup! The two biggest things are time and consistency. Don't get discouraged, give yourself time and be patient. Feel free to add me and I'll cheer you along!
  • snkoyle15
    snkoyle15 Posts: 102
    Options
    feel free to add me too. i have pcos and have a hard time loosing weight. its taken me 4 years to loose about 40lbs. about 2 months ago i started doing some workouts by Jillian Michaels (who also has pcos and hypothyroid) and in the last 2 months ive lost 3 inches from my stomach area and butt/hips. i didnt read all of the posts but i wanted to ask if you are on metformin, or anything to help with insulin resistance? if not i would strongly suggest talking to a dr about getting on it. it helps your body absorb the sugar like it is supposed to without pumping all of the extra insulin out. if you have excess insulin it can be almost impossible to loose weight. if you have high insulin it will also mess with your hormone levels causing all sorts of other issues on top of it.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, and it is a chore! I hate all the plucking (from the facial hair growth). Sometimes I just say screw it and grow a beard. Very few people notice it, but I notice it.

Let's see... in March I started losing weight. I'm down to 41 pounds gone! I take Metformin (500mg in morning, 1000 at night). The diarrhea symptom is the most difficult, and honestly, I still have it sometimes if I do a lot of "cheating" on my diet (or drinking ANY alcohol!)

The way I've done this is increase my exercise to 4-6 times a week. I also did go lower carb. My doctor recommended 130 a day (or about 30 a meal plus 15 for snacks). This has been extremely effective. I slowly started adding some carbs in (all whole wheat options, and still mostly avoiding potatoes), and I've still been losing weight (most weeks). This has averaged to 10lbs/a month loss. I know it will slow (probably very soon!) but it's been good for awhile. I've lost 10 inches on waist, 8 inches on hips, 6 inches on bust.

I don't drink any alcohol. I avoid most sweets. I try not to eat more than 30 carbs at a time, a few hours apart (when possible!). I do have a baked potato twice a month, because I love them. It's about 4 oz at a time. I play tennis almost every night (I couldn't play this past week and didn't lose an ounce!) for about an hour. And that's about it.

I hope some of this information has helped! Anyone with PCOS, feel free to add! I share your pain!
  • AliandTrev
    AliandTrev Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have it too, I was put on the Metformin but I couldn't handle the stomach cramps from it. I have stopped taking that, I do try to watch my carbs but I do not do a low carb diet. I stay within/under the MFP goals that are set and that seems to be working.

I have started taking Cinnamon and Chromium, they are in a capsule form together and are said to help regulate blood sugar levels, I was right on the borderline of being insulin resistant. I believe it really does help and there were alot of reviews I ready by diabetics who also take it and it works for them.