PCOS + weight lost

Options
13»

Replies

• snkoyle15
    snkoyle15 Posts: 102
    Options
    What's PCOS? I coun't see in any of the messages what this is.....I'm interested.....
    Its short for polycysitic ovarian syndrome. basically; insulin resistance, weight problems, in a lot of cases sub-fertility, hormone imbalances. and some women have cysts on their ovaries, some do not-despite the name. hormone problems are things like high testosterone levels causing acne, male pattern baldness and unwanted body hair, low progesterone- which is part of the reason for the 50% chance of miscarriage with pcos. a lot of women also have problems with their thyroid.
  • snkoyle15
    snkoyle15 Posts: 102
    Options
    I have it too, I was put on the Metformin but I couldn't handle the stomach cramps from it. I have stopped taking that, I do try to watch my carbs but I do not do a low carb diet. I stay within/under the MFP goals that are set and that seems to be working.

I have started taking Cinnamon and Chromium, they are in a capsule form together and are said to help regulate blood sugar levels, I was right on the borderline of being insulin resistant. I believe it really does help and there were alot of reviews I ready by diabetics who also take it and it works for them.

have you tried the extended release metformin?? it is supposed to be a lot nicer on your stomach then the regular stuff.
  • I have PCOS and a thyroid disorder. I have been stuck in the 170s for years. I can starve myself, be on a low calorie diet and do moderate exercise and the weight stays in the 170. My endocrinologist has told me that I basically have to be on a low glycemic index diet and get addicted to exercise (i.e. moderate exercise 5-7 days a week) to get the rest of this weight off). I also am 39 years old so age is not in my favor.
  • jsande10
    jsande10 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I've also been told I have PCOS though they didn't actually find any cists, but, I was also told taht a low Gi diet works really well, and it has done for me in the past, Give it a try, it's easy as, as long as you can keep sugar out of your diet, and just watch your glucose intake in general. Need any help or info .let me know
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I made this video about PCOS to help educate my friends and family. For those of you who said that you don't know what it's doing to you, feel free to watch this! There are ALOT of symptoms. The video's kind of cheesy, but it was my first one!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwqDn3vLZIc
  • kmm7309
    Options
    I have PCOS and a thyroid disorder. I have been stuck in the 170s for years. I can starve myself, be on a low calorie diet and do moderate exercise and the weight stays in the 170. My endocrinologist has told me that I basically have to be on a low glycemic index diet and get addicted to exercise (i.e. moderate exercise 5-7 days a week) to get the rest of this weight off). I also am 39 years old so age is not in my favor.

I have hypothyroid too. I have been stuck in the 240s-260s though. I struggle with knowing what to do with myself too!
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    It is very hard for me to lose weight, PCOS is a pain in my rear end and normal people just don't understand. I walk twice a week and zumba 3 times a week. I rest Thursday and Sunday, I try to eat healthy as possible, I still cheat from time to time. I have lost 30 pounds in 6 months, I feel like the number should be higher. I have always been slightly heavy, been fluctuated between sizes 16-20 for the past 10 years. So now that I'm a 12/14, I literally swim in all my clothes that makes me feel good, but it's been so hard getting there!
  • kmm7309
    Options
    What's PCOS? I coun't see in any of the messages what this is.....I'm interested.....
    Its short for polycysitic ovarian syndrome. basically; insulin resistance, weight problems, in a lot of cases sub-fertility, hormone imbalances. and some women have cysts on their ovaries, some do not-despite the name. hormone problems are things like high testosterone levels causing acne, male pattern baldness and unwanted body hair, low progesterone- which is part of the reason for the 50% chance of miscarriage with pcos. a lot of women also have problems with their thyroid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwqDn3vLZIc
  • anglonut
    anglonut Posts: 3
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. I agree with one of the ladies on her point about carbs; they seem to be the devil!
  • sunnyshine1313
    sunnyshine1313 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hello I have PCOS as well, but try to not let it discourage me. Have tried the low carb diet and it did work really good, but I am addicted to carbs and so gained back the weight I lost after doing the low carb diet, I have decided to count calories instead and go within the limits that MFP provided and have los 26 lbs so far but do see my weight fluctuate based off of what I eat. I am determined to keep going this time no matter what the scale says. PCOS may slow the process but from my understanding if I lose the weight I won't have as many PCOS symptoms< please feel free to add me, and keep up the hard work!
  • LeeshaNichole
    LeeshaNichole Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS, and it really sucks! Sometimes I have easy time losing the weight and other times it is very slow-right now I haven't lost anything in a week! I have suffered 6 miscarriages (my last one was May 19th) and after each miscarriage I get highly depressed and give up. This time I am trying my hardest to not give up and using it as fuel to get it done. I will do it! Good luck everyone! Feel free to add me!
  • PunkyRachel
    Options
    Sometimes I wish I didn't have PCOS *sigh

yea...me too...:ohwell:
  • PunkyRachel
    Options
    I also have PCOS, and it really sucks! Sometimes I have easy time losing the weight and other times it is very slow-right now I haven't lost anything in a week! I have suffered 6 miscarriages (my last one was May 19th) and after each miscarriage I get highly depressed and give up. This time I am trying my hardest to not give up and using it as fuel to get it done. I will do it! Good luck everyone! Feel free to add me!

I feel ya there, I'm up to 6 miscarries in 8 years. I stopped telling people other than my husband after the second, I find it easier just not having to go back and tell all my family and friends, "sorry I lost it, not pregnant anymore" It's been so dramatizing. I hate how my family and coworkers act like its a sin, to not have kids. One person even asked why my husband and I haven't split up, since we can't have kids. I'm like seriously!!!
  • LeeshaNichole
    LeeshaNichole Posts: 179 Member
    Options

I feel ya there, I'm up to 6 miscarries in 8 years. I stopped telling people other than my husband after the second, I find it easier just not having to go back and tell all my family and friends, "sorry I lost it, not pregnant anymore" It's been so dramatizing. I hate how my family and coworkers act like its a sin, to not have kids. One person even asked why my husband and I haven't split up, since we can't have kids. I'm like seriously!!!

Ughh I have had that same question-his own mother even asked if he was sure if he wanted to stay married to me. I want kids more then anything but it is just heartbreaking to go through it. I usually don't tell anyone that I'm preg besides my husband but this time I thought it was gonna work out so we announced it and started buying things for the baby-very rough. I'm sorry to hear about your miscarriages!! Mine have also been in 8years.