Free Birth Control Pill

Options

Replies

• keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Mine's free through our healthcare benefits, but I live in Canada so I probably can't help you much. :P

I live in Canada too, mines not free. You must be under someones plan in order to have it free....Right? haha idk. When i was younger i was on my moms plan so it was free for me, but after i was 19 or 20, i had to get a plan through my work. It is 80% paid by my employer (any medication, not generalizing birth control, i need to pay the rest.
  • rbl1225
    rbl1225 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    To anybody on here posting about teens being active and having kids- that is not what this topic was about the OP just wanted to know if anybody had heard anything and guess what she hasn't posted anything else so if you have a problem with teens being active then I say you are terrible because lets see I am 19 so I am a teen yet I have been with my guy a long time and were getting married... so a problem with teens being active is?? I understand younger like the 13 year olds (which is very common) but how about you not use the word teens.

Actually at 19, you're considered an adult.

Read a book. You're still a teenager at 19.

At 18 In USA your considered a legal adult. You may still be in your "teens" But you are now legally responsible for your own actions rather than your parents responsibility.

Yes but still a teen. If I can't have a drink at a bar until I am 21... Sorry I'm still a teen even if by law I am an adult
  • banstett
    banstett Posts: 95
    Options
    Don't even get me started on Obamacare... If you want to take birth control pills then YOU buy them, not us tax payers. Free does not mean free because somebody pays for it.
  • KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    To anybody on here posting about teens being active and having kids- that is not what this topic was about the OP just wanted to know if anybody had heard anything and guess what she hasn't posted anything else so if you have a problem with teens being active then I say you are terrible because lets see I am 19 so I am a teen yet I have been with my guy a long time and were getting married... so a problem with teens being active is?? I understand younger like the 13 year olds (which is very common) but how about you not use the word teens.

Actually at 19, you're considered an adult.

Read a book. You're still a teenager at 19.

At 18 In USA your considered a legal adult. You may still be in your "teens" But you are now legally responsible for your own actions rather than your parents responsibility.

Tell that to the 18 year old who tries to buy some beer :drinker:

Oh, I know. I think it's ridiculous. But your still an adult, without the drinking part.
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Do people intentionally pull things out of their *kitten* to argue about? LoL this has been so amusing in a middle school hallway kind of way. But anyway, I don't know. I just barely got on birth control because I just barely got health insurance and just barely got a physician. My insurance only makes me pay four dollars a month for my pills.
  • fluffeesquirrel
    fluffeesquirrel Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Don't even get me started on Obamacare... If you want to take birth control pills then YOU buy them, not us tax payers. Free does not mean free because somebody pays for it.

Oh. That must mean you'd rather pay for an illegitimate child that is the result of someone unable to purchase their own birth control? Sex is going to happen. We might as well make birth control available than increase an already overwhelming population and be forced to pay for unwanted children in need of welfare services.
  • rbl1225
    Options

Oh. That must mean you'd rather pay for an illegitimate child that is the result of someone unable to purchase their own birth control? Sex is going to happen. We might as well make birth control available than increase an already overwhelming population and be forced to pay for unwanted children in need of welfare services.

Now that I agree with in the long run cheaper to pay for the pill for a random person then a kid (maybe 2-3 kids) for 18 years and then think of all the people who use the system after they have kids.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    This is getting political pretty fast. Obligatory IB4TL.

I would MUCH rather pay extra taxes for family planning services. No unwanted pregnancies, no unwanted children (orphanages are strained at best), less strain on programs like WIC.

Shoot, I'd donate my uterus in a heartbeat. Anybody dibs? I'm totes not using it.
  • rbl1225
    Options
    This is getting political pretty fast. Obligatory IB4TL.

I would MUCH rather pay extra taxes for family planning services. No unwanted pregnancies, no unwanted children (orphanages are strained at best), less strain on programs like WIC.

Shoot, I'd donate my uterus in a heartbeat. Anybody dibs? I'm totes not using it.

HAHA
  • matchbox_girl
    Options
    I once had a Republican tell me that if I didn't want children, I shouldn't have sex. I'm twenty one years old and engaged to my best friend. We have great jobs, a cute house, responsible, loving lives, but we're aware we're not ready for children. However, instead of birth control being free, we should just not have sex. That's the answer. I just thought it was funny:)
  • banstett
    banstett Posts: 95
    Options
    Whatever happened to people taking care of themselves? Or teaching children abstinence? Why do I or anyone else have to pay for someone's birth control pills?
  • razzmahtazz
    razzmahtazz Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    E:

QUOTE:

I would glady pay taxes on this, because then there wouldn't be children pregnant with children.

And there also wouldn't be people on welfare with 9 kids at walmart getting everything for free without having a job, just because they have 9 kids because they didn't feel like taking birth control or they couldn't afford it.

Doubtful. You'd have to force everyone to take it. Parents (like myself) will not allow their children to behave like animals. My kids are quite aware that any behavior that does not meet dad's approval would likely result in someone walking around looking like a unicorn for the rest of their life since that's where I'm going to relocate it. I've got to brag that I've got some damn smart kids.

What we will likely see is a widespread increase in STD infections because a lot of those who had been exercising self-control due to not being "protected" will now be happily engaged in sexual activity naively thinking that their partners are all healthy and they wont get pregnant.

Ignorant. Sexual activity is not the only reason to take birth control.

Absolutely! Many women have irregular periods or extremely painful and debilitating cycles every month. I can't do my job if I am curled up in a fetal position every 3-4 weeks! Unfortunately, the birth control will be free only for those who already have health insurance. I say unfortunately because I think in the United States, modern, free birth control should be available to everyone! Do I want teens to have sex? Absolutely not, but I sure don't like the current teen pregnancy rates!

I do have health insurance and have always have to pay in-full, out-of-pocket because my insurance doesn't pay squat until I reach my $2300 deductible. I've put many years into paying my insurance company and it's about time I get something in return for my investment!

And yes, I believe it goes into effect in August!
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options

Huh. Right now (before Obamacare), people in my state automatically get medical coverage if they are pregnant - regardless of income, assets, etc.

So instead people can get pregnant, apply for coverage, have the entire 40 weeks paid plus anything else they want done (medical, dental, etc.), then get coverage for two months after that (postpartum appointment is the thought process here), where they can then often cram in things like tummy tucks, etc.

Call me crazy, but I would much rather pay for their birth control and set more guidelines on pregnant women receiving free care for a year.
  • matchbox_girl
    Options

Huh. Right now (before Obamacare), people in my state automatically get medical coverage if they are pregnant - regardless of income, assets, etc.

So instead people can get pregnant, apply for coverage, have the entire 40 weeks paid plus anything else they want done (medical, dental, etc.), then get coverage for two months after that (postpartum appointment is the thought process here), where they can then often cram in things like tummy tucks, etc.

Call me crazy, but I would much rather pay for their birth control and set more guidelines on pregnant women receiving free care for a year.

This ^^
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Depends upon how you define free. If you mean everyone else who pays taxes is paying for it so you don't have to, and you have the right coverage, then yeah I guess it's "free".

I would glady pay taxes on this, because then there wouldn't be children pregnant with children.

And there also wouldn't be people on welfare with 9 kids at walmart getting everything for free without having a job, just because they have 9 kids because they didn't feel like taking birth control or they couldn't afford it.

Those people would still have 9 kids. Just because something is available doesn't mean they will take it, or take it correctly. People who really want birth control, with a few exceptions, find some way to get it.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Also, if you aren't working, we are probably already paying for your birth control (among other things). But those who are working struggle to pay the cash value of these meds. We pay cash for our doctor visits, and it's $200 just for a clinic visit - that's expensive for some people even before the birth control! So if we can offset that and help the people that are working, I think that's fantastic - this keeps people in jobs (not pregnant, not on maternity leave), can help equalize the gender differences in the workplace, and give people more control over their lives. If someone wants to make good choices, shouldn't that be rewarded?

Not to mention the fact that working = paying taxes = paying for their own birth control.
  • razzmahtazz
    razzmahtazz Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Also, if you aren't working, we are probably already paying for your birth control (among other things). But those who are working struggle to pay the cash value of these meds. We pay cash for our doctor visits, and it's $200 just for a clinic visit - that's expensive for some people even before the birth control! So if we can offset that and help the people that are working, I think that's fantastic - this keeps people in jobs (not pregnant, not on maternity leave), can help equalize the gender differences in the workplace, and give people more control over their lives. If someone wants to make good choices, shouldn't that be rewarded?

Not to mention the fact that working = paying taxes = paying for their own birth control.

Bravo! That is summed up nicely!
  • fluffeesquirrel
    fluffeesquirrel Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Whatever happened to people taking care of themselves? Or teaching children abstinence? Why do I or anyone else have to pay for someone's birth control pills?

Obviously you have no idea what you're talking about. Places that teach abstinence only have much higher rates of teen pregnancy. Also, have you ever worked a minimum wage job without assistance (because ironically full time minimum wage is above the poverty threshold) and tried to buy basic necessities such as food, shelter, and utilities? It can't be done. If you can't pay for basics, how are you going to cover medical care? Much less birth control. You are ignorant.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Or teaching children abstinence?

Sadly, many children do not learn anything about their bodies until it's too late. When I was nine, my mom handed me a pamphlet of what hormonal s***storm my body was about to make me go through. I also never got "the talk." I love my parents, but to be honest, I'm from a very conservative family. In their eyes, sex has a shameful stigma. This prevents many parents from being honest with their kids, causing the kids to seek answers in not so reliable places.

Is this an excuse? No, but I can easily see why so many are misinformed. To be honest, a comprehensive health education from K-12 would probably make the biggest difference.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Why do some teens become sexually active:

Sexual attraction
    Society & media pressure
    Peer pressure
    Use of alcohol and drugs
    Pressure from boyfriend/girlfriend
    Desire to be considered "normal"
    Parents’ example
    Inappropriate sex education
    Mistaken beliefs
    Boredom
    Low self-esteem
    Loneliness
    No good reasons to say "No"

Do any of these sound good to you? p.s your a legal adult, accept it already.