Replies

• Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    2 grain salad:

1/2 cup quinoa cooked
    1/2 cup pearl barley cooked
    1 chopped red, yellow, and orange bell pepper
    1/2 chopped red onion (I omit, hate onions)
    3 TBSP red wine vinegar
    1 TBSP olive oil
    Fresh ground pepper to taste!

Makes a delicious high protein, "good" carb lunch to take to work! I like to add some leftover shredded chicken for an extra protein boost.
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    2 grain salad:

1/2 cup quinoa cooked
    3 TBSP red wine vinegar
    1 TBSP olive oil

Makes a delicious high protein, "good" carb lunch to take to work! I like to add some leftover shredded chicken for an extra protein boost.

Oh, and a one-cup serving w/o chicken has around 210 calories. :smile:
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Red or black quinoa, drizzle with toasted sesame oil, and then nom. So simple. So good.
  • lmc8774
    lmc8774 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I go to whole living website: http://www.wholeliving.com/145336/recipes, and search for recipes all the time. They have a lot of really good ones for quinoa. My favorite is their Moroccan Steamed Salmon with Quinoa and Carrots.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Bump! I finally just bought some, i dont even know what to make! I noticed on the package there was a Quinoa Tabbouleh recipe , i think i may try it!!
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have just started using it and i LOVE IT!

40g (dry weight) quinoa Pre cooked the night before
    60g gerkins
    60g tuna (1/2 tin)
    60 slimmer danish feta
    coriander ( lots cause I love it)
    Cayene pepper
    salt to taste
    30g avo (1/4 medium)
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Use it like you would rice or cous cous, Endless possibilitiies :smile:
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Go to allrecipes.com and search for turkey quinoa meatloaf... to die for
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Go to allrecipes.com and search for turkey quinoa meatloaf... to die for

I have made that recipe before and I agree, AWESOME! I like to make it in muffin cups instead of a loaf pan, makes it much easier to measure servings.
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Give this a try! It's one of my favorite recipes. And since my husband won't try it, I have leftovers for days. It says it serves 4, but I break it down into 6 servings of 1 cup each. So tasty!

http://lafemmecooks.com/2011/10/01/pineapple-cashew-quinoa-stir-fry/
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    2 grain salad:

1/2 cup quinoa cooked
    3 TBSP red wine vinegar
    1 TBSP olive oil

Technically a 1 grain salad as quinoa isn't a true grain. :tongue:
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    cookingquinoa.net
  • ladytxn
    ladytxn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kellytaylor13104
    kellytaylor13104 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this question. I'm still a newbie with this grain/seed! Looking forward to trying that 2 grain salad.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Quinoa-Black Bean Salad with Basil and Corn

Serves: 2
    Prep Time: 5 minutes
    Cook Time: n/a
    Ingredients
    2 1⁄2 cups cooked quinoa*
    1⁄2 small onion, chopped
    1⁄2 cup boiling water
    1⁄4 cup rice or white wine vinegar
    1 small fennel bulb, very finely diced
    1⁄3 cup corn kernels, defrosted if frozen
    1⁄3 cup canned black beans, rinsed well
    Instructions
    2 teaspoons basil
    1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 teaspoon honey
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1 pinch cayenne pepper

Directions
    * To cook the quinoa, combine about 3/4 cup dry quinoa with 1 1/2 cups water in a small pot. Over medium heat, bring to a boil. Turn it down, cover, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the water is completely absorbed. Turn off the heat and leave the top on for an additional 5 minutes. Fluff the quinoa and set aside. You can do this 1 to 2 days in advance.

To make the quinoa-black bean salad, put the onions in a small bowl, cover with boiling water and let sit for 5 minutes.

Drain the onions then cover them with ¼ cup vinegar. Let them sit until you're ready to use (another 5 minutes).

To make the dressing, whisk together the vinegar, basil and mustard in a large salad bowl. Slowly drizzle in the oil, whisking constantly, until the dressing has thickened slightly. Whisk in the honey, salt and cayenne, and then taste. Add a bit more oil if the vinegar taste is too pungent.

Drain the onions, squeeze out the vinegar and add them to the dressing with the corn, fennel and black beans. Add the quinoa and toss well. Taste for salt, adding more as necessary.

Spicy Sriracha Brussels Sprouts & Avocado with Lime-Scented Quinoa

1 cup Quinoa, Uncooked
    2 cups Broth (veggie, Chicken Or Water)
    1 teaspoon Lime Zest
    2 cloves Garlic, Minced
    ¼ cups Shallot, Chopped
    3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
    ¼ teaspoons Lime Salt (or 1/4 Teaspoon Lime Zest And 1/4 Teaspoon Salt)
    ¼ teaspoons Pepper
    2 teaspoons Sriracha, Plus More For Garnish, To Taste
    20 whole Brussels Sprouts
    1 Tablespoon Fresh Lime Juice (for 1 Tablespoon You'll Need About 1/2 A Lime)
    1 whole Avocado, Peeled, Pitted, And Diced
    ¼ cups Monterey Jack Cheese (shredded)

Preheat oven to 400 F.

Make the quinoa: In a saucepan, add 1 cup of quinoa to 2 cups of chicken broth (or water/veggie broth) and bring to a rolling boil. Lower heat to a simmer, cover the pan and cook until there is no more liquid, 15-18 minutes. In the last few minutes add 1 teaspoon of lime zest and mix well. Then cover the pan until finished cooking. Remove from heat, and keep covered until you are ready to eat.

For the Brussels sprouts:

Mix the garlic, shallot, olive oil, lime salt, pepper, Sriracha and Brussels sprouts together.

Spread them out on a foil-lined baking sheet, squeeze the lime juice over top, and bake in the preheated oven for about 35 minutes, mixing halfway through (add a drizzle more olive oil if they look dry). Remove from the oven and turn the oven to broil. Add the diced avocado and Monterey jack cheese over the top and return to the oven to cook for another 2 minutes, until the cheese is melted.

*You can also, just broil the Brussels sprouts with the cheese and add the avocado afterwards, whatever you prefer (warmer avo or cooler avo!)

Pile a few spoonfuls of Lime-Scented Quinoa onto your plate along with a heaping helping of Spicy Sriracha Brussels Sprouts and enjoy!

Bean and Quinoa Taquitos with Jalapeno Queso

½ cups Cooked Quinoa
    ¼ cups Pinto Beans
    ¼ teaspoons Chili Powder
    ¼ teaspoons Smoked Paprika
    Salt, If Needed
    4 whole Soft Taco Tortillas
    2 Tablespoons Fresh Cilantro, Chopped
    FOR THE QUESO:
    2 teaspoons Butter
    2 teaspoons Flour
    ½ cups Skim Milk
    5 slices Pickled Jalapeno Rings
    2 slices American Cheese
    Salt, If Needed

1. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
    2. Mix the quinoa, pinto beans, chili powder, smoked paprika, and pinch of salt (if needed) together in a small bowl. Divide between the tortillas and carefully roll up. Place in a small baking pan, tortilla seam side down, and bake for 15 minutes, or until crisp.
    3. Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce. Melt the butter over medium heat in a pot. Whisk in the flour and let cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk, stirring after each addition to get rid of lumps. Let cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Reduce heat to low and add jalapeno and cheese slices. Season with salt, if necessary.
    4. Place the taquitos on a plate and pour on the cheese sauce. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro. Great with tortilla chips!
  • Nighthawk4
    Nighthawk4 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Just tried this for the first time. It was Merchant Gourmet ready-to-eat red and white quinoa. Just heated it up in the microwave and ate it. Didn't want to risk wasting anything else in case I found it inedible :-)

For future use, does this replace the rice or potatoes, or is it a substitute for meat? Judging from the number of calories I assume it does replace the rice or potatoes.

What do other people eat with it?
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    2 grain salad:

1/2 cup quinoa cooked
    3 TBSP red wine vinegar
    1 TBSP olive oil

Oh, and a one-cup serving w/o chicken has around 210 calories. :smile:

NUUUUUMMMMMY!
  • GypsySoul_74
    GypsySoul_74 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    i prepare it for lunch and dinner in similar ways to the ones others have posted. but i eat mine for breakfast sometimes with fresh fruit and a tsp. of agave or honey. you can also add raisins or dried cranberries or nuts... almost any way you'd eat oats, you can do the same with quinoa :)