Free Birth Control Pill

Options

Replies

• rbl1225
    rbl1225 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    To anybody on here posting about teens being active and having kids- that is not what this topic was about the OP just wanted to know if anybody had heard anything and guess what she hasn't posted anything else so if you have a problem with teens being active then I say you are terrible because lets see I am 19 so I am a teen yet I have been with my guy a long time and were getting married... so a problem with teens being active is?? I understand younger like the 13 year olds (which is very common) but how about you not use the word teens.

Why do some teens become sexually active:

Sexual attraction
    Society & media pressure
    Peer pressure
    Use of alcohol and drugs
    Pressure from boyfriend/girlfriend
    Desire to be considered "normal"
    Parents’ example
    Inappropriate sex education
    Mistaken beliefs
    Boredom
    Low self-esteem
    Loneliness
    No good reasons to say "No"

Do any of these sound good to you? p.s your a legal adult, accept it already.

Actually sexual attraction sounds like a great start seeing as I am so sexually attracted to my fiance. Also seeing as my fiance has a few drinks things get more fun. Also when we were bored when we lost power it was a great reason. Also I have no good reason to say no to him...So yea those are great reasons to become sexually active as a teen to me... What now.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Or teaching children abstinence?

Sadly, many children do not learn anything about their bodies until it's too late. When I was nine, my mom handed me a pamphlet of what hormonal s***storm my body was about to make me go through. I also never got "the talk." I love my parents, but to be honest, I'm from a very conservative family. In their eyes, sex has a shameful stigma. This prevents many parents from being honest with their kids, causing the kids to seek answers in not so reliable places.

Is this an excuse? No, but I can easily see why so many are misinformed. To be honest, a comprehensive health education from K-12 would probably make the biggest difference.

I agree completely. I never had the talk either. I did have a sex education class in high school, but did not take it seriously. Also, it was a catholic school so they did not speak of birth control or condoms!! No wonder most teens are active.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Check with your local Planned Parenthood and see if there's a free birth control program in your area. Minnesota has MFPP which is the Minnesota Family Planning Program - a ton of different options are free if you make less than a certain amount a month.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    To anybody on here posting about teens being active and having kids- that is not what this topic was about the OP just wanted to know if anybody had heard anything and guess what she hasn't posted anything else so if you have a problem with teens being active then I say you are terrible because lets see I am 19 so I am a teen yet I have been with my guy a long time and were getting married... so a problem with teens being active is?? I understand younger like the 13 year olds (which is very common) but how about you not use the word teens.

Sexual attraction
    Society & media pressure
    Peer pressure
    Use of alcohol and drugs
    Parents’ example
    Mistaken beliefs
    Boredom
    Low self-esteem
    Loneliness

Actually sexual attraction sounds like a great start seeing as I am so sexually attracted to my fiance. Also seeing as my fiance has a few drinks things get more fun. Also when we were bored when we lost power it was a great reason. Also I have no good reason to say no to him...So yea those are great reasons to become sexually active as a teen to me... What now.

Your an idiot.
  • rbl1225
    Options
    Check with your local Planned Parenthood and see if there's a free birth control program in your area. Minnesota has MFPP which is the Minnesota Family Planning Program - a ton of different options are free if you make less than a certain amount a month.

That is an amazing idea! Too bad most states don't go by that :/
  • rbl1225
    Options

Sexual attraction
    Society & media pressure
    Peer pressure
    Use of alcohol and drugs
    Parents’ example
    Mistaken beliefs
    Boredom
    Low self-esteem
    Loneliness

Your an idiot.

You must mean 'you're' next time if you wish to insult me please spell the word correctly :)
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Don't even get me started on Obamacare... If you want to take birth control pills then YOU buy them, not us tax payers. Free does not mean free because somebody pays for it.

Huh. Right now (before Obamacare), people in my state automatically get medical coverage if they are pregnant - regardless of income, assets, etc.

So instead people can get pregnant, apply for coverage, have the entire 40 weeks paid plus anything else they want done (medical, dental, etc.), then get coverage for two months after that (postpartum appointment is the thought process here), where they can then often cram in things like tummy tucks, etc.

Call me crazy, but I would much rather pay for their birth control and set more guidelines on pregnant women receiving free care for a year.

sorry, if your state says we will give free coverage... and all you have to do is get pregnant... I don't see anything changing after the bill going into effect. More so, people might just get pregnant just to avoid the fine for not having coverage
  • satxtrap
    satxtrap Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I find it amusing that anyone who doesn't agree with someone's opinion is ignorant. I'm not calling anyone ignorant when I disagree with them so don't call me ignorant. It doesn't help your argument.

I feel that in families with strong bonds between parents and children the rates of unplanned pregnancy are lower than that of families where parental involvement is significantly reduced. http://www.teenhelp.com/teen-pregnancy/teen-pregnancy-risks.html Yes, even in the best of environments pregnancy can happen but that's not reason enough for me to put my kid on birth control because it happens to be free. If they have a medical issue that would happen to be alleviated by a birth control med then that's when they would take it not because they "might" get sexually active against. Once they graduate and no longer depend on me as a source of income they are free to make their own informed and adult choices. So far my wife and I have I've been successful in establishing sound judgement in my 3 kids, ranging from 12 to 20 about considering the consequences of their actions and their long term implications. Not everyone shares the same approach but it works well for us. :)
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

I know! :( It is such a great program! Plus you get a free women's annual exam!
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options

What's even sadder is that many conservative states are trying to get rid of PP. Support your local PP today!
  • razzmahtazz
    razzmahtazz Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Or teaching children abstinence?

Sadly, many children do not learn anything about their bodies until it's too late. When I was nine, my mom handed me a pamphlet of what hormonal s***storm my body was about to make me go through. I also never got "the talk." I love my parents, but to be honest, I'm from a very conservative family. In their eyes, sex has a shameful stigma. This prevents many parents from being honest with their kids, causing the kids to seek answers in not so reliable places.

Is this an excuse? No, but I can easily see why so many are misinformed. To be honest, a comprehensive health education from K-12 would probably make the biggest difference.

I agree completely. I never had the talk either. I did have a sex education class in high school, but did not take it seriously. Also, it was a catholic school so they did not speak of birth control or condoms!! No wonder most teens are active.

Sexual education should be taught in schools....I also would like to see more programs on not bowing to peer pressure! KIds today can feel pressured to do many things to fit in and I don't just mean having sex. We need to teach kids self confidence and responsibility.
  • rbl1225
    Options

I know! :( It is such a great program! Plus you get a free women's annual exam!

I bet you could get one in a reasonable amount of time I always have to book 6 months in advance but those are a must if active! Also after a certain age! That is a great thing to have!
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I find it amusing that anyone who doesn't agree with someone's opinion is ignorant. I'm not calling anyone ignorant when I disagree with them so don't call me ignorant. It doesn't help your argument.

I feel that in families with strong bonds between parents and children the rates of unplanned pregnancy are lower than that of families where parental involvement is significantly reduced. http://www.teenhelp.com/teen-pregnancy/teen-pregnancy-risks.html Yes, even in the best of environments pregnancy can happen but that's not reason enough for me to put my kid on birth control because it happens to be free. If they have a medical issue that would happen to be alleviated by a birth control med then that's when they would take it not because they "might" get sexually active against. Once they graduate and no longer depend on me as a source of income they are free to make their own informed and adult choices. So far my wife and I have I've been successful in establishing sound judgement in my 3 kids, ranging from 12 to 20 about considering the consequences of their actions and their long term implications. Not everyone shares the same approach but it works well for us. :)

As a teacher, I wish all of my students had parents as involved as yours. Kudos!
  • fluffeesquirrel
    fluffeesquirrel Posts: 63 Member
    Options

I find it amusing that your initial post made it sound like anyone who took birth control was an "animal," consequently, I do find it ignorant because taking birth control neither means you're sexually promiscuous (read an "animal") or even sexually active. And, for the record, we're not only talking about children.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Don't even get me started on Obamacare... If you want to take birth control pills then YOU buy them, not us tax payers. Free does not mean free because somebody pays for it.

Huh. Right now (before Obamacare), people in my state automatically get medical coverage if they are pregnant - regardless of income, assets, etc.

So instead people can get pregnant, apply for coverage, have the entire 40 weeks paid plus anything else they want done (medical, dental, etc.), then get coverage for two months after that (postpartum appointment is the thought process here), where they can then often cram in things like tummy tucks, etc.

Call me crazy, but I would much rather pay for their birth control and set more guidelines on pregnant women receiving free care for a year.

sorry, if your state says we will give free coverage... and all you have to do is get pregnant... I don't see anything changing after the bill going into effect. More so, people might just get pregnant just to avoid the fine for not having coverage

My point is that I would rather pay for people's birth control than this current program. And actually from what I understand, the bill is reducing the amount available for a lot of the state programs and they are claiming that they are going to start restricting it.

What really sucks about it is that people like us who admittedly do not have insurance (on me, I'm self-employed) are going to struggle. To add the family to my husband's health plan it's $500 a month - then they overcharge because it's insurance and we have to pay the same amount as if we went paying cash.

My husband's same day clinic visit on insurance - flat fee, $428. (before any testing or anything additional.)

The last well child visit I took my kids to - $197, including vaccinations, as a pay with cash patient.

The problem here is that the clinic fees are increased just because someone has insurance!

Flu shot for me - $75.

Flu shot for husband (to insurance, same year, same time) - $190.

The kicker there? I had the more "expensive" shot because I was pregnant!
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    As much as I am for universal healthcare, it is more like universal 'sick' care... putting people on meds that haven't been thoroughly tested, most likely unnecessary or dangerous, and still putting loads of cash into the pharmaceutical and insurance companies pockets.

I really hope they aren't giving the pills for free, I wouldn't trust it! Condoms, diaphragms or natural family planning are much safer. The list of side effects is frightening with the chemical birth controls. I was on the pill and patch for over 15 years and after a year off of it, my body still hasn't recovered...my hormones are completely out of wack.

Read this: (another person's story)
    http://www.vega-licious.com/health-nutrition/dangers-of-birth-control-medications-part-3-if-they-were-good-would-they-cause-deaths-and-life-long-injuries/

I have dangerously high cholesterol, exacerbated by very high estrogen courtesy of PCOS. My birth control keeps me from dying, as it's a progestin-only pill that helps to regulate my estrogen level and thus keep me from having another heart attack. Not everyone will react positively to a drug. Just because you, or someone you know, had a problem with it doesn't mean none of us should use it.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options

My point is that I would rather pay for people's birth control than this current program. And actually from what I understand, the bill is reducing the amount available for a lot of the state programs and they are claiming that they are going to start restricting it.

What really sucks about it is that people like us who admittedly do not have insurance (on me, I'm self-employed) are going to struggle. To add the family to my husband's health plan it's $500 a month - then they overcharge because it's insurance and we have to pay the same amount as if we went paying cash.

My husband's same day clinic visit on insurance - flat fee, $428. (before any testing or anything additional.)

The last well child visit I took my kids to - $197, including vaccinations, as a pay with cash patient.

The problem here is that the clinic fees are increased just because someone has insurance!

Flu shot for me - $75.

Flu shot for husband (to insurance, same year, same time) - $190.

The kicker there? I had the more "expensive" shot because I was pregnant!

My point exactly, and the main reason I am against this bill.. well I guess law now... the people who prosper from it, the greatest, is the insurance companies. Health care system doesn't get a revamp with it... The only greatest part about the health care system in America, is the inflated price tag. I say, if the government wants to "reform" health care, start with health care not with who pays the bill at the end of the day

I am sure my mini rant makes perfect sense.... not... but too tired to fix
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I would glady pay taxes on this, because then there wouldn't be children pregnant with children.

And there also wouldn't be people on welfare with 9 kids at walmart getting everything for free without having a job, just because they have 9 kids because they didn't feel like taking birth control or they couldn't afford it.

Doubtful. You'd have to force everyone to take it. Parents (like myself) will not allow their children to behave like animals. My kids are quite aware that any behavior that does not meet dad's approval would likely result in someone walking around looking like a unicorn for the rest of their life since that's where I'm going to relocate it. I've got to brag that I've got some damn smart kids.

What we will likely see is a widespread increase in STD infections because a lot of those who had been exercising self-control due to not being "protected" will now be happily engaged in sexual activity naively thinking that their partners are all healthy and they wont get pregnant.
    The sub-human vermin copulate like minks, knowing the government will send them more money for more kids.
    What a scam!
    At some point this utter will dry up, and people will need to take care of their own.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Whatever happened to people taking care of themselves? Or teaching children abstinence? Why do I or anyone else have to pay for someone's birth control pills?
    People are very fast to want others to take responsibility for their lives. What some do-gooders will never get is that when you reward people to act out, they act out more, then complain that they don't get enough government money.
    Have you ever once met a grateful welfare bum?
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Mine's free through our healthcare benefits, but I live in Canada so I probably can't help you much. :P

I live in Canada too, mines not free. You must be under someones plan in order to have it free....Right? haha idk. When i was younger i was on my moms plan so it was free for me, but after i was 19 or 20, i had to get a plan through my work. It is 80% paid by my employer (any medication, not generalizing birth control, i need to pay the rest.

Late response, sorry, but yes, but "our healthcare benefits" I meant a combination of my parents' through work and mine through school. Once I graduate and whatnot, the cost will be determined by the benefit plan I receive when I start working.

Also, I think it's a little silly to think that teenagers are not going to have sex. It's when they aren't given the tools/information needed to make sound decisions regarding sexual activity that they run into issues and get themselves in more trouble.