Can any one help? Toned stomach/ 6 pack

Options
Hi can anyone help please. I've got my weight down and would now like to start toning my stomach area. I use an abcircle pro and have started doing sit ups. Any suggestions? I know it won't happen over night but an tips and different things to do to make sure I tone every where and also don't get bored. I all so use a hula hoop regularly. Really grateful for any help :)

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Adding muscle can help, but lowering your body fat % is what brings out the abs.

Caloric defecit with strength training are the main ingredients. You need to maintain your muscle mass as you lose fat to bring out muscle definition.

Do not be afraid of heavy weights. Squats, deadlifts, shoulder and bench presses, pulldowns and rows are your best friends for maintaining muscle while "cutting".

You really don't have to kill yourself doing ab excercises as the muscles really don't have as much potential for growth as your back, legs, and butt and overall muscle will help the most. Deads and squats force your core to work anyway.

I know this is a "man's" advice , but it does work.
  • cartmail
    cartmail Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'll google them and try work out some sort off programme for me to go by. My legs and butt I toning up nicely from using a cross trainer several times a week. I've all so got a 'V' forming its the rest that's not happening lol
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Adding muscle can help, but lowering your body fat % is what brings out the abs.

Caloric defecit with strength training are the main ingredients. You need to maintain your muscle mass as you lose fat to bring out muscle definition.

Do not be afraid of heavy weights. Squats, deadlifts, shoulder and bench presses, pulldowns and rows are your best friends for maintaining muscle while "cutting".

You really don't have to kill yourself doing ab excercises as the muscles really don't have as much potential for growth as your back, legs, and butt and overall muscle will help the most. Deads and squats force your core to work anyway.

the best answer that can be given is right here.
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options

okay so what if you dont have gym equipment... or a gym near by what can you do at home?? I know I need to add in strength training but what? I am doing insanity right now.
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kierstin1976
    kierstin1976 Posts: 123 Member
    Options

I agree.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    okay so what if you dont have gym equipment... or a gym near by what can you do at home?? I know I need to add in strength training but what? I am doing insanity right now.

It's a bit difficult to find bodyweight exercises for your legs much harder than pistol squats. For upperbody there's all kinds of gymnastics that you can get into, but basically work up to being able to do a whole bunch of pushups, pullups/chins, pistol squats, and dips. For most people there's a lot of room for improvement there if they don't have access or want to do weighted exercises.
  • cartmail
    Options
    What's bump?
  • rcolours7
    rcolours7 Posts: 69
    Options
    you could try a 10 minute solutions pilates video - has a great ab exercise in it - all different types of crunches to work your middle & side abs. i also like the arms, butt/thighs exercise in these series as well.

could also try the 30-day shred by Jillian Michaels.....gives u a great workout to help tone all the muscles, lose more inches & sculpt your arms/back/legs - which somehow helps the abs. gotta work on your back (core) to help the front (core) (i believe planks, "superman/superwoman".

workout your abs specifically 2-3x's a week, but not back to back....abs need a break to "regroup".

hope this helps & not too much of a repeat from the other person
  • cartmail
    Options
    you could try a 10 minute solutions pilates video - has a great ab exercise in it - all different types of crunches to work your middle & side abs. i also like the arms, butt/thighs exercise in these series as well.

could also try the 30-day shred by Jillian Michaels.....gives u a great workout to help tone all the muscles, lose more inches & sculpt your arms/back/legs - which somehow helps the abs. gotta work on your back (core) to help the front (core) (i believe planks, "superman/superwoman".

workout your abs specifically 2-3x's a week, but not back to back....abs need a break to "regroup".

hope this helps & not too much of a repeat from the other person

I tried the 30 day shred but just couldn't get into it. Gillian kind of gets on my nerves lol really appreciate everyone's feedback thanks
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    What's bump?

It means they are "bumping" it back up to the top of the threads, so that more people can see it and answer it. Usually they would like to know the answer themselves. Either that or by replying to it, they can come back to read it when they have more time, without having loads of trouble finding it.

To answer the question; someone else answered it really well at the beginning. Strength training and compound lifts as mentioned are great for this sort of thing! You don't really need all that much direct ab work, but a little will probably help. Note that you have to reduce overall bodyfat to show the abs/definition. All the exercises in the world won't help unless you do this, because they only work the muscle underneath. Overall bodyfat is reduced with a calorie deficit (through food or exercise, or both!)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

You can probably buy cheap weights/benches etc online, if you have the space.

Failing that, for strength training (while the gym would IMO be far better) I would recommend p90x over insanity. It involves more weights and resistance exercises than insanity does, which is more cardio based. You don't need all that much. A few adjustable hand weights, and either resistance bands or a pull up bar. Plus a mat if your floor is hard.
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    "abs are made in the kitchin" :-D
  • cartmail
    Options
    What's bump?

It means they are "bumping" it back up to the top of the threads, so that more people can see it and answer it. Usually they would like to know the answer themselves. Either that or by replying to it, they can come back to read it when they have more time, without having loads of trouble finding it.

To answer the question; someone else answered it really well at the beginning. Strength training and compound lifts as mentioned are great for this sort of thing! You don't really need all that much direct ab work, but a little will probably help. Note that you have to reduce overall bodyfat to show the abs/definition. All the exercises in the world won't help unless you do this, because they only work the muscle underneath. Overall bodyfat is reduced with a calorie deficit (through food or exercise, or both!)
    According to the various websites ect my body fat % is between 14 and 17 is that low enough? I'm 5 foot 6 inches
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Lower your body fat more. My ab's in the picture below are from zero ab work:

15809555_6325.jpg
  • pennyrtyler
    pennyrtyler Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yep - six-pack abs are the result of razor-sharp focus on diet.

Achieving them is one HELL of a goal, but you can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Try getting a gym ball and a good dvd to go with it. Even just sitting on it makes you work your core which in turn will help your abs. Also, I just got The Firm, Total Body Toner. I did it yesterday for the first time and I'm feeling it today! I've never felt workouts in my abs before but with this one I am. Oh and your body fat is fine. You don't really need to go much lower than that. The info everyone else has given you is also great. Just try a few things and see which one works best for you.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I have found planks and biking helps.
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    super bumpity bump bump BUMP!
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that maybe you do : planks, leg raises,bicycles and once you can do those with your bodyweight for up to 15-20 reps and some weight to it.