Too old to ride a bike?

Options
I owned a bike with training wheels when I was about nine years old. Lost the bike. Stopped riding completely.

My brother owns a bike and constantly mocks me for not knowing how to ride one. I WANT to learn because I personally think it's a really great exercise that I wouldn't get sick of. I'm 21 years old...can I teach myself? I mean, I KNOW that there's no one who would be able to help me learn, but teaching myself seems a tad bit absurd and..ehem..fairly humiliating.

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    First...riding a bike is awesome!

Can you teach yourself? Sure.
    Youtube videos, take your time.
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Absolutely you can teach yourself and are not too old to learn how to ride a bike. Take your time, don't get discouraged and you will do it.

Riding a bike a great fun and very functional. I ride my bike to the grocery store (with my backpack) at least once a week to pick up a few items.

Good Luck! You can do this!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I thought you were going to be like 80, or something.

Get on the damn bike.
  • pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I really do want to attempt. I'm going to save up so I can purchase a fairly sturdy bike. We've got a nature trail about a mile away from here. Gah, I just hope I don't hurt myself (very accident prone) :tongue:

But thanks guys, I'll give it a try I suppose :)
  • pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    Options

Get on the damn bike.

Hey! Where I live all the bike riders that are my age ride at full speed, in biker get up and are total bike experts. I have the right to feel intimidated!

But yes, I agree. I'll go for it...but if I die it will be your fault.
  • nygirl777
    nygirl777 Posts: 35
    Options
    I was just talking with my daughter last night about how i want to get a bike and ride with her. Get the bike definately!!!
  • Linkedkube
    Linkedkube Posts: 53
    Options
    Never too old to start riding a bike. I remember reading an article somewhere a few years back. People that didn't ride a bike as a child were more likely to be accident prone growing up. Start now, have fun. I'm cheering for you.
  • wellbert
    Options

Get on the damn bike.

Hey! Where I live all the bike riders that are my age ride at full speed, in biker get up and are total bike experts. I have the right to feel intimidated!

But yes, I agree. I'll go for it...but if I die it will be your fault.

Well, feel free to haunt me from 9am-12pm. (But make an appointment outside of that.)

I think you'll find that riding a bike will come naturally as you gain the confidence to go faster. Faster = more stability.
  • Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Go on, be a devil, what's the worse that can happen......got every faith you'll nail it!
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I had one son that didn't learn until his teen years. Might take a bit longer to learn, but I bet you find once you get the hang of it you'll love it and it will come naturally. I also agree that faster equals greater stability.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Bike riding is like sex.
    It's not hard to master, but you may fumble around a bit at first.
    Just get out and do it. You'll be fine and riding high before long in a day or so.
    Fear NOT!
    Even Don Juan was a novice his first time out.
    Good Luck!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting a bike with an internally geared hug, or a single speed. That way, when starting out, you don't have to worry about changing gears properly or maintenance as much.

The most intimidating thing about learning to ride a bike is the gears. You can't change while standing still, and it's sloppy unless you do it just right (or you spend an obscene amount of money on your bike).

Single speed bikes are less expensive than any other bike too. Internally geared bikes are essentially maintenance free (in terms of the drive train) and can be shifted anywhere, any time. Even when pedalling backwards!

Hit up your local bike shop and talk to the guys there. They'll be able to steer you in the right direction.

If they start telling you, you need a road bike with skinny tires, and drop bars, and a million gears, just leave and find someone else to talk to. What you need is simplicity. If you want a road bike later, get one then, not now.
  • Crazyjoe11
    Crazyjoe11 Posts: 83
    Options
    Never too late but wear a bag on your head :-)
  • wellbert
    Options
    Bike riding is like sex.
    It's not hard to master, but you may fumble around a bit at first.
    Just get out and do it. You'll be fine and riding high before long in a day or so.
    Fear NOT!
    Even Don Juan was a novice his first time out.
    Good Luck!

....and wear protection
  • caroleslaststand
    caroleslaststand Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    too old? I'm 59 and the first thing I wanted to do after getting rid of the abdominal roll that prevented me from even fitting behind the handlebars?? - ride a bike!!!! My 58 yo SO rides a bike every day and he's disabled with psoriatic arthritis that makes walking difficult, but he can ride all over the place on his bike. As an adult, you can catch on as quickly as a kid - go for it and don't let anyone or anything stop you.
  • GarryGadget
    Options
    Do it! Cycling is great.

If you've never pedalled (or not recently) and can't get into a gym to get used to pedalling on a stationary machine first, you could try just sitting on a bike with the saddle nice and low so you can use both feet on the ground to scoot yourself along without even pedalling. This'll let you get used to braking and steering without having to focus too hard on pedalling and balancing.

If you're a bit nervous, just get used to braking and steering before, pedalling. You could also find somewhere with plenty of space (and nothing to have to try to avoid), like an open field, to practice.

When you're happy with the sterring and braking part, the rest should feel less daunting as you'll know you can stop or change direction whenever you need to.

Best of luck!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Give it a try, you'll catch on in no time!
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    Never too old! Maybe try a stationary bike first. Most gyms allow you to do a test visit before purchasing. Spend your time on the bike. Not exactly the same, but will help show you how to balance correctly.

If there is a bike shop nearby, definitely talk to them. Explain to them you never learned to ride. I'm betting they will be more than happy to help you out!

Have fun!!! Can't wait to hear how much you love riding!!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    never ever too old to learn to ride a bike, swim, boat, any of it! Just remember, small corrections. Small corrections. Good luck!
  • JBHawaii
    JBHawaii Posts: 94
    Options
    Please please please post a video of yr first attempt!