What time of day do you exercise? Why?

Options

Replies

• TerriLynn8101
    Options
    Working out in the a.m. helps me make better nutritional choices throughout the day. Am I even going to consider a donut if I haul my butt out of bed at 5 a.m.? NO WAY!!! With the summer heat (100+ in Kansas the last few weeks) I can often talk my family into an evening swim, getting us all moving and an extra calorie-burning session for me!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    On weekdays, I either exercise as soon as I get home from work (around 5:00) or about 90 minutes after dinner (7:30). On weekends, I exercise around 7:00 a.m.

If I didn't have an 8-5, Monday through Friday job, I would exercise around 7:00 a.m. every day. I prefer to workout early so I don't have to take multiple showers. haha I also think I have more energy in the morning than I do in the evening.

Basically, I exercise whenever I can fit it into my schedule.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Spontaneously, because I feel like doing it.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I do something M-F in the at 5am (run, jog, bike ride) then when I get home (around 6-6:30pm) I do another longer bike ridde or jog. On Saturdays, my boyfriend and I bike into the center of his town and get a light breakfast (it's usually 10-12 miles back and forth). Sunday is running day so just one run whenever I get up for about 1.50 miles or so.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Whatever time of day I can fit it in. I have 2 kids, ages 2 & 3 who demand most of my attention. Usually I will workout while they sleep or when they are focused on a movie. Other times, if it's something they can participate in I workout with them.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    no particular time, when my schedule allows it. I prefer in the morning but that is just because I like to get it out of the way.
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I exercise straight after work which is normally around 7pm. When I have a day off work I exercise early in the morning.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I can't get up on time to do it in the mornings.

if I go to the gym , I generally go right after work. If I workout from home, I generally just do it in the evenings.- either before dinner or before bed.

I've started biking to and from work though so that'll give me a good workout in the mornings :)
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    4:00 am -- works best for my schedule (work, school, 2-year-old) plus then I know EXACTLY how much I can eat for the day!
  • martesso
    martesso Posts: 3
    Options
    When I'm working in the evenings, I start jogging 15 minutes after I wake up 7-8. If I work in the AM, I do a longer jog in the evenings. On the weekends, I workout in the AM, about 15 minutes after I wake up. I like to do cardio in a fasted state, plus, if I push my workout to the evenings, it's easy to find excuses not to do it.

It is definitely cooler in the AM, and I like to think that the air is a bit cleaner too.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    First thing while fasted.

Insulin and stuff.
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Morning, because the heat started to get too much for the evenings. I am actually really enjoying my morning workouts (run 2-3 times a week and lift opposite days) so I don't know if I'll go back to evenings once it cools down.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I walk 2 miles every day first thing in the early morning, to knock it out of the way.
    I walk 5 miles every day in the evening, to burn off my dinner.
    On days I go to the gym and lift weights, I'll walk 1 mile before lifting, to loosen things up. This can be mid-morning or early afternoon depending on when I go.
  • lulu3561
    lulu3561 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    During the week when I am working I get to the gym at 8:30 p.m. - If I have a day off I hit the gym around 5am - later at night works for me because there are less people in the gym.
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    First thing. Otherwise I won't do it. :) Also, I read one time a long time ago that if you workout first thing (before eating) you're burning fat that's already there and if you workout after eating you're burning calories consumed. IDK if it's true or not (it was a reputable source) but it just keeps me more motivated to do it first thing.
    Also, I"ve noticed that if I try to do it later I don't have the energy.
    I"m a homeschooling mom of 4 though so when school starts up again....I'm going to have to start getting up a LOT earlier so I don't take up my kids' school time. :/
  • sweetpea7441
    sweetpea7441 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning, else I will never get round to it. Plus I like to exercise on an empty stomach. I've tried waiting even 2 hours after eating and it still makes me ill.
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    I get up at 4:30am during the week and 6:30am on weekends to exercise. I used to work out in the evenings but I wasn't consistent because there was too much other stuff to do. Plus if I exercise too close to bed I'm wired. I'll also take walks throughout the day as I'm able to get away from my desk.
  • bluebug53
    bluebug53 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning, well after coffee of course : ). During the summer I am on my bike by 6 or 6:30a, and in the winter I am working out at the gym or home! I just find that if I work out first thing, then I have more energy through out the day, and since my job is pretty physical, I usually won't feel like doing a workout after work.
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Literally right before bed...I am exhausted from the workout and I sleep so much better...we tried mornings, just hard to get my butt out of bed.
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Depends on what works best for my kids schedule ( i have 4). When school is in session I'm usually running in the evening right after work. During the summer, I get up at 4:30 am for my workout and I absolutely love it. That will be changing soon though as school is going to be back in session. I do feel wonderful when I can get the morning workout in.