Extra calories gained

Options
Hi All,
I'm new to this today and have a simple question. If I have an allowance of 1250 calories and do exercise for 60 minutes, gaining me 200 calories more, surely I must have to keep to my original 1250 calories, not add an other 200 to my allowance. I'm thinking that to eat another 200 calories undoes the exercise? Am I wrong?
Tiddy

Replies

• joannbrunton
    joannbrunton Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I eat some of my exercise calories but not all.....usually I'm under my MFP calories.
  • drsdghtr
    drsdghtr Posts: 27
    Options
    I recently posted the same question and so far I don't have an answer. It was always my understanding to lose weight you want to burn as many of the calories that you consume which is kind of the thought process I have maintained. Personally, I would tell you those calories "gained" aren't to give you room to eat more. If I go over my calorie goal for the day I definately want to burn the extra to get me to/lower than my goal. On the days I am at or under my goal, the calories burned are just in my favor for loss. This is just my thought process anyway.
  • melodiclyrics
    melodiclyrics Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi guys. This thread in the general weight loss help section should point you in the right direction as far as finding your answers.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Always eat back cals.
  • feast4thebeast
    feast4thebeast Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Your calories are set for fat loss so it is okay to eat back the calories burned :)
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    You will hear this answered both ways. MFP is set up so you DO eat back your exercise calories. You've already told it what your normal daily activity is like and how many pounds you would like to lose per week. That is what it bases your calories on. This is my understanding, at least. As I said, you will hear both sides.
  • waj_b
    waj_b Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    if you have set your targets to loose weight... your caloric target would be set to lower than what your body needs to maintain weight... (which should be no more than 20% less than your maintenance calorie needs)
    so eating you target calories will still enable you to loose weight... so yes you can eat all your exercise calories as it will not hinder your fat loss progress... if your already eating lower calorie plus you do exercise then your burning more than your target for the day.

10-20% lower than your maintenance is the best way to go about it.. it isnt too severe and its more practical and long term. also you dont have to exercise to loose weight.. but still do so obviously.

think of exercise as the more you do it the more you can eat... :D
  • blleadon
    blleadon Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hi! From what I understand is that in general, the more calories you burn, the more you lose and that a healthy deficit will do that. The way mfp is set up is that already creates the deficit for you depending on the information you have put in. So it is ok to eat those calories back as long as you do not for over your net goal for the day. For instance mine is set at 1380, and average exercise for me is about 450. If I'm under I may eat them back, but if I ate about 1700 calories that day, I wouldn't eat them back. I

I also understand that too Much of a deficit would eventually slow ur metabolism and cause a plateau. Hth!
  • waj_b
    waj_b Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    yes have a read of what i wrote..
    your net calories is already at a deficit... so eat back your calories burned.
    and yes i wouldnt try to loose too much weight too quickly.. you will put it back on just as fast... a small gradual calorie deficit is more practical and would result in long lasting maintainable weight loss.

its a very simple process.. just give it time.. for instance if you were to overeat by only 50cal a day.. in 6-12 months you would have put on 6lbs +
    so imagine if you ate -200 or more calories ... you will loose a good amount of fat in good time... without suffering .. and exercise will enable you to eat more.
  • Tiddy305
    Tiddy305 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    OK, I think Ive got it.
    Been on this for 3 days now, and other diets for years, some with success. Basically my allowance is 1200 calories a day, I'm wall and floor tiling for about 9 hours a day, which burns approx 1800 calories. I'm eating and drinking on average 1500 calories a day, which at the moment is ok for me. I think I'm on the right track but now I wont feel so bad if I eat back some of my extra calories on a hungry day.
    Thanks for the guidance,
    Tiddy
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    What I would suggest is eat half of those exercise caloreis and then when you come to a plateau increase your calories by 100 a day more and continue to eat half of your exercise calories. It has worked great for me.
  • 1SlimShaylee
    1SlimShaylee Posts: 204
    Options
    if your goal is what mfp automatically generates for you, then you should eat all or most of your excersizes calories back. mfp creates a deficit for you, so when you work out you will be at too large of a deficit. EAT your work out calories, OR go to scoobys workshop figured out your tdee and eat -15% every single day regardless of work out's.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Always eat back cals.

this!

EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT!!

you didnt gain weight eating more than 1500 calories. you gained weight eating more than your TDEE, which is probably over 2500. =) enjoy your food!
  • diriini
    diriini Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to mfp to, i don't put my exercise in until last thing of the day for fear i will eat back the cals through temptation rather than hunger.... but if for example i was planning to go out for dinner the extras would come in handy.
    :smile: