steam room etiquette

Options
GZinSea
GZinSea Posts: 50 Member
So my gym has a dry sauna and a wet sauna, everyone tells me how much they love a nice sauna after a workout or even on a cold day...great.

So I'd like to try it, but I have no idea about what the proper etiquette for a sauna is. I mean, do i go into the sauna nude or with a towel? If I do bring a towel, do I bring it only wrap around my waist or do I bring it to sit on? I'm cool with the nudity aspect of it but I don't want to be rude to anyone else with the whole decency/germ-phobic thing.

I live in the US, if it makes a difference culturally, but I'm just curious about a starting point.

Replies

• IAMDDAY
    IAMDDAY Posts: 771
    Options
    That is a good question I am fine with it too. I usually go in shorts with a towel and sit on it so i don't drip sweat everywhere. But its a good question. My gym does not have a sauna.The Gym i have now does not have a sauna I need a new gym. I am not sure how the others my not like it.
  • PNJB796
    PNJB796 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    In such circumstances, I would take a pair of swimming trunks, which can be removed in the sauna if no one else is clothed. This will meet all contingencies culturally. :smile:
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    Go with your comfort zone, at least sit on the towel :) I am sure no one really cares but if they do they would tell you
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    At the gym I go to people either wrap a towel around the waist or go naked.(answer probably didn't help)
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    At our local sauna/ steam rooms we all wear bathing suits - I have NEVER seen anyone go nude, but ours are open to both men and women.
  • MeliJean78
    MeliJean78 Posts: 249
    Options
    I go to the sauna/steam room in hopes of seeing skin, but these damn people are so modest here.
  • GZinSea
    GZinSea Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    the guys in my gym's steam room don't look like you, so I'm guessing neither of us would be interested in their skin!
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,955 Member
    Options
    As long as I'm in there, a lady always has a seat.....
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,791 Member
    Options
    I go in nude. Don't need pockets cuz I have my camera on a cord around my neck.
  • JudyL5305
    JudyL5305 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    We have both a steam and a sauna in each of the men's and women's locker room. There is a sign that posts what the rules are but most people go by how comfortable they are. Some go half wrapped up or fully wrapped up.Just always sit on a towel.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I always do the steam room and sauna nude because you just can't get the full benefit of it if you have on a bathing suit, shorts etc. With that said I usually have a towel that I wrap around myself and then take off to sit on when I'm in there. ALWAYS sit on a towel!
  • eilmeister
    eilmeister Posts: 37
    Options
    I have never seen anyone wear anything in a mixed sauna here in Europe. Sometimes people will wrap towels around their waist while walking around the spa area, but the saunas are always full nudity zones... I think most places even have a "nude policy", because it creates a more comfortable nude environment when everyone does it. This goes for both mixed and same sex public saunas.

But this is Europe, and I know that the US is different when it comes to nudity. A lot!
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Go in nude and sit down immediately adjacent to the biggest guy there. Then start small talk. Ask him how is day was, what he enjoys doing in his free time. Things like that.