Surviving Running in the Heat OUTDOORS

Options
Hi All,

I'm looking for helpful hints on hot weather running. I get up nice and early or run after the sun goes down. But there are days, like yesterday and today, where the humidity is so thick and it is well over 80 at 5am and I am dying through the whole run, never mind when I am running and it is over 90. I'm training for my first full marathon. So, I don't have the luxury I usually have in the summer of substituting swimming now and then or cutting a long run short, etc.
I have my water, have my gels (for longer runs), my pace is dragging (forget AI's or GP's ---- actually I could probably do GP's and should bring them back).
The hardest part is that my joints swell in the heat and it makes it hard to move well. I don't know if others deal with this. I take an ice bath after, which helps a lot. But, I need to get through the actual runs and I would really like to LIKE my runs again. I absolutely loved winter training for 1/2 marathon.

I am thinking about trying some trail running to get off the hot pavement and also to get some shade. But, that isn't really do-able before work.

Tread mill is not an option for me.

Thanks!

Replies

• TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Trail running is a must for me when its hot! I drink extra water all day long....like you said the earlier the better! I also run through the sprinklers LOL....maybe its just my neighborhood but everyone runs their sprinklers at 5am! :)

I'm also with you on the heat slowing me down...I'm just going for the distance!! Half marathon training here too! :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain.........last Tuesday it was well into the 90s when I did my run (I usually go early morning but have a duathlon coming up in a couple of weeks & need to acclimate to the heat).

Sounds like you're dong the right things. I'd certainly give the trails a shot if you're doing your LSD on the weekend....... (I love running in the winter - my favourite race is the Hypothermic Half in January. I looked like Frosty the Snowman with icicles hanging off my toque and face but in winter you can always add a layer.....)
  • nolakris
    nolakris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm a heavier runner, so YMMV, but from what I've read recently on the Runner's World msg boards, is to go ahead and walk more. You should keep your run pace slower than your "perfect weather" pace. Take more walk breaks, even though it seems counter productive. Everything that I've read says to push through, run at a slower pace, walk more, drink more water, but that in the fall when the weather cools off, you'll find your run times are better from all the hot weather training.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Hydrate all the time, not just when running.

Heat will slow you down, could be up to 2min/mile

Heat sucks.
  • sw91684
    sw91684 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ihave found that you will just adjust to it. I live in Florida and run 5 miles during lunch year round. Water discipline is a must. Know the warning signs of heat related issues. I always carry a little money on my long runs (13-16) just in case I need a drink.
    Hope this helps.
  • luv2run
    luv2run Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Running in the heat and humidity is tough, I found for me the best thing I can do and just about the only thing is just to run slower when the humidity is high I have to run a minute to minute and a half slower than normal in order to cover my miles and I do take short walking breaks at least when I drink my water. Right now I am struggling with back and hip pain so I have to stop during my runs right now to stretch. I also ice my back when I get home to help with swelling. Its really hard to like running when its so hot and humid, just stick with it and when the weather cools off it will seem super easy!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The heat definitely slows me down. I try to run early in the morning, and pick the coolest days in the forecast for my run days.

There's a great topic on hot weather running here - lots of great tips: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512826-running-tip-hot-weather-running?hl=running+hot
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options

Heat sucks.

Yeah, I'm down about 2 min/mile!!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Heat sucks.

Yep. Don't sweat it (pun intended :smile: ). Since you are training for a Fall marathon, 95% of your running right now should be at your easy, aerobic pace anyway. Hydrate all day long and just slow down.
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    The heat definitely slows me down. I try to run early in the morning, and pick the coolest days in the forecast for my run days.

There's a great topic on hot weather running here - lots of great tips: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512826-running-tip-hot-weather-running?hl=running+hot

Thanks!
  • cPT_Helice
    Options

Heat sucks.

Yep. Don't sweat it (pun intended :smile: ). Since you are training for a Fall marathon, 95% of your running right now should be at your easy, aerobic pace anyway. Hydrate all day long and just slow down.

Thanks! I seriously have felt bad about my easy run pace dropping and thought it was because I haven't been doing any speed training. I also walked during a run for the first time ever last week. I always felt like I was "cheating" if i did. Knowing its ok in the heat makes me feel better and I will be doing a lot more of it!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Heat sucks.

Thanks! I seriously have felt bad about my easy run pace dropping and thought it was because I haven't been doing any speed training. I also walked during a run for the first time ever last week. I always felt like I was "cheating" if i did. Knowing its ok in the heat makes me feel better and I will be doing a lot more of it!

Also, it take the body about 3 weeks to become acclimated to running in the heat. After that time period, you'll notice things start to pick back up again. It's all good. And your easy run pace is not going to be impacted by no speed work. Different systems. You need the aerobic to support the speed, not the other way around.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I've read in Runner's world that drinking super cold water or eating a slushy type thing right before you run will help keep cool.
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    I've read in Runner's world that drinking super cold water or eating a slushy type thing right before you run will help keep cool.

I read that, too, now that you mention it. I also find that drinking coconut water first helps. Maybe I'll let it slush up a bit.
  • indiawastaken
    indiawastaken Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad you posted this. I was just debating if I should scratch my run in 95 degrees w/ a 100% humidity & do a half *kitten* indoor workout. Guess I'm hitting the pavement;)
  • debstanley4
    debstanley4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting I learned some things.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I have found that short runs of 30 min or less are impacted minimally by heat (>90 degrees). 30 min to an hour starts to get tough. Over an hour dehydration sets in and the pace slows considerably. Plan your pace by the amount of time you will be out there.
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    Good post great info!
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    I have found that short runs of 30 min or less are impacted minimally by heat (>90 degrees). 30 min to an hour starts to get tough. Over an hour dehydration sets in and the pace slows considerably. Plan your pace by the amount of time you will be out there.

Yeah... I find that 3 miles or under and I don't even need water still, which I hate to carry. The heat is really getting me on my >10 mile runs the most. I feel like I now have permission to walk thanks to you all. LOL This will definitely help. :) Plus, our heat wave just broke and so I get to run in only 80ish tonight. Should be a breeze...... I hope! :)