What time of day do you exercise? Why?

Options

Replies

• BmoreGinger
    Options
    Mornings... Always in the morning. I am a morning person to begin with, so I do much better if I run first thing in the morning. During the school year (I work in the public schools), I will go to the gym or run after work (weather permitting), but I prefer to do it in the morning. Besides, it really sets the tone for the rest of the day. :)
  • cecimaguina
    cecimaguina Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Late evening...usually around 10pm!! sounds terrible, uh?! I get up at 6am to get my little daughters ready for school/summer camp and I have to get ready for work and 1 hour drive to work for a 9hr - 10hr work day before I hit the road again; by the time I get home in the evening is already almost 8pm....dinner with the family, story time for the girls...already 9pm.........FINALLY "ME" TIME at 9:30pm - 10pm!! So I do it 4 times a week for 30 to 45min and I'm done!
    I'm trying to fit in more time and maybe do it right after dinner - around 8:30pm before my girls bed time routine - but that also means they'll go to bed late that evening. Tough but I also have to say I much rather prefer evening workouts than have to wake up at the crack of dawn to do it......it does help with cravings before bed and after a nice warm shower I sleep much much better!
  • reallyally1
    Options
    When I'm in school, I usually go in the evenings immediately after I get home, which is anywhere between 4 and 8 (depending on my class schedule). Over the summer, I usually end up going after work; sometime between 2 and 3... it's less crowded.
    On the weekends, I go in the morning. I actually prefer working out in the mornings, but there is no way I am getting up before 6 to go before class/work. Plus, I always feel like I'm rushed and I hate that.
  • jly33403
    jly33403 Posts: 49
    Options
    I usually go around 8 to 8:30. My mom and I go together and it's less crowded and long enough after dinner that my mom feels comfortable going.

I would prefer going at say 6, but what can ya do?
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    my work day is long so i take a walk on my morning break then go to the gym for lunch. I've challenged myself to cycle at least 30 miles per week.
  • MANdown_145
    Options
    I always do a split. cardio in the am and weights or calisthenics after work.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    On my days off, as early as possible. On my work days, as soon as I finish all of my work.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I live in south texas so the heat is a factor right now. Although hotter temps, the evenings tend to be much drier than mornings here, so I do my outside activity in the evening. Humidity sucks. I can tolerate the evening 101 temps much better than the 80 degree humid mornings.
  • steveoly
    steveoly Posts: 1
    Options
    Lifting at gym - early morning because it gets a little too crowded after work
    Running outside - early morning because of the heat as of late
    Running/Cardio at gym - usually after work
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I try to get to the gym in the morning because if I don't then my motivation starts to drop off as the day goes on. However if my husband is super busy and we have errands to run we will go in the afternoon.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Early morning

Because the part of my brain that can talk me out of working out isn't awake that early!
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I exercise 1st thing in the morning because of all my evenings are tied up!
  • sunnymel126
    sunnymel126 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    right when i get home after work. i can't bring myself to wake up at 5 or 5:30 am to do it. i like my mornings but not for workouts. but if i do it first thing when i get home i feel great and sleep like a baby.
  • litnerd4life
    litnerd4life Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym M-F at 5:30am. My gym doesn't have a daycare, so I have to go and get back before my husband needs to leave for work. I have grown to love it! Working out on an empty stomach suits me much better--when I workout any other time of day, I always feel like my food/drink is sloshing around and it makes me want to vomit ;) Plus, the gym is pretty quiet at that time :) Sometimes I'll sneak in a short HIIT session around 2pm when the kids are napping. My schedule revolves around the kids :)
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Right after work, I hate waking up as it is much less earlier than I absolutely have to.
  • angrodriguez92
    angrodriguez92 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I work out a few hours after breakfast. I have the most energy around that time. If I do it first thing in the morning, I run out of steam too easy.
  • 82ale
    82ale Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I exercise from 6:30-7:30 am, 6 days a week. I have to go before work because I really hate when the gym is crowded in the afternoon/evenings. It's actually been nice to get it done and over with every morning, then I can't procrastinate.
  • mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    When asked the question: "what is the best time of day to work out?" I heard a good answer...."the best time of day to work out is when you will have the least distractions" this will be different for everyone, but I think it is a good philosophy.

I have to be at work by 7:30 so I get up at 4;45 to get in an hour work out. If you would have told me 4 years ago that I would be doing this, I would have laughed at you...but I have made it a priority, so 4;45 is the time I am least likely to have distractions...because who else in the world is up at this crazy hour?!!!!
  • grabbin_life84
    grabbin_life84 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 month old, so EARLY mornings work best for me. I wake up at 5:00 am and do 15 minutes of TM work then eat a good breakfast. I usually complete another 30 minutes of P90X Kenpo or Plyo sometime around 9:00 am, 6-7 days a week. I'm just starting out and will be adding running to this routine, but that will most likely happen in the evenings after my husband gets home.
  • StarIsMoving
    StarIsMoving Posts: 437
    Options
    I sometimes get in a walk during lunch break at work, but mostly I workout in the evening. When I get home from work, I have supper with the family, do my school work, then it's workout time. I sleep so much better having that workout in there and since I get up at 3:30am already, I can't seem to get up any earlier for a workout