drinking and weight loss

Options
Hi! I am fairly new to this, about 2 weeks in, and the eating healthier portions and healthier food has been going well so far. My main concern now is alcohol - I enjoy my wine, and have a glass or 2 almost every day. To me, this is as much part of my wind-down as reading the news and talking to friends/family on the phone - it's just simply not something I am willing to give up. So I guess my question is, what is the best possible alc beverage I could be having so as not to completely sabotage myself? Thank you!!

Replies

• erin023
    erin023 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I think the general rule is the more pure the alcohol, the fewer the calories.
    So maybe try a flavored vodka mixed with natural fruit juice or diet pop? (Yes, I know diet pop isn't good for you).
    I personally end up losing weight when I drink (even a little) because I end up being more active.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    work it into your daily calories.

as for lowest cal alcohol, i go with vodka / diet soda or vodka / diet cranberry juice. ocean spray makes some great diet juices.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Honestly, a glass of wine a night won't kill you, as long is it's actually a "glass" (4-6 oz; about half full wine glass) and not a "GLASS" (half the bottle in a water glass). 6 oz of merlot is around 120 calories; chardonnay is more like 145. Just figure it in to your calories for the day and you'll be fine :)
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I always drink a beer or two after my runs.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    When I drink at home I measure the amount of alchocol so it's exactly 5 oz. I also tried to limit my alcohol to once a week, I found that worked best with my goals. Sometimes that doesn't happen, but that is the aim.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    So long as your count it towards your calories, you'll be fine.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I lost weight drinking wine every night. If you try to take it away from me I'll ball slap you.
  • reallyally1
    Options
    I really love Beck's light beer! It's only 64 cals a bottle and it doesn't taste like water (unlike MGD 64).
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    If you love the wine just make sure you work it into your calories:drinker:
  • ShaunMc1968
    ShaunMc1968 Posts: 204
    Options
    A glass or two of wine is of benefit to most general diets (not diets as in weight loss) - try not to over indulge, work it into your calories and all will be good.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I drink an occasional glass of cabernet sauvignon, and it doesn't sabotage me TOO badly (although I find that I do want to snack more when I drink alcohol). I try to stay away from hard liquor, but only because I don't like drinking diet sodas, and regular sodas are too high in sugar and calories. Like Luew said, just make sure it fits into your calories, and you should be fine.
  • mtmom1012
    mtmom1012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I kinda have the same feeling as you...I really want to lose some major weight, but I love to have a drink or 2. My solution over the past 2 weeks has been that I allow myself a drink only on the days that I go to the gym for a solid workout. That gets me to the gym, and provides both the reward for going, plus I can offset the extra calories in alcohol. So far it's working. I just started Jenny Craig last week and lost 6.2 pounds (which I know won't continue at that rate but it was very motivating to see!)

Best of luck!
  • JenniferLynWhat
    Options
    A glass of red wine a day is actually pretty good for you. Just figure it in to your calories..it sounds like you've already got the moderation part down (1 glass instead of a whole bottle) so don't worry about it.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    whiskey + ice = enjoy
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Divagettinfitin2011 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Like some other people said, make sure it fits into your plan and the key is moderation.

try pouring yourself 2 1/2 servings (it might help you feel like you've had more)

i enjoy my wine very much as well. i figure a glass or two of wine is better than the box of mozzarella sticks or a cheeseburger and fries from the dinner i might want to binge one when feeling deprived of the things i love.
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    whiskey + ice = enjoy

hell yea!
    a little aggressive for me... i'm a jack and diet ginger kind of girl
  • Mbishop7684
    Mbishop7684 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. Just make sure you can stop at the amount you've allotted and remember to re-hydrate. Drink back in water what you drank in alcohol and your body will be happier about the choice :-)
  • chloebarge
    chloebarge Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Look at the wine bottles before you buy then as some have a lot less calories than others. I had a rally nice rose wine last night which was only 95cal a glass x
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    red wine has health benefits so work it into your calories and enjoy. I don't know about white wine, but alcohol in moderate amounts is not bad it just has to be taken into consideration with total calories for the day. myself I enjoy a latte frequently instead of the alcohol but I find a way to have it when I want.