Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

So confused about where to start with Protein shakes

2»

Replies

• JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Just want to reiterate what another poster just said: eat your LEAN bodyweight in protein, not total bodyweight. Total body weight for a lot of people here would be prohibitive, expensive, and just plain unnecessary.

Timing of protein consumption is debatable. Unless you are training completely fasted and doing an extremely intense, muscle-busting workout, you will already have enough latent nutrients in your system that your body will not completely catabolize your precious muscle in 30 minutes.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Just want to reiterate what another poster just said: eat your LEAN bodyweight in protein, not total bodyweight. Total body weight for a lot of people here would be prohibitive, expensive, and just plain unnecessary.

Timing of protein consumption is debatable. Unless you are training completely fasted and doing an extremely intense, muscle-busting workout, you will already have enough latent nutrients in your system that your body will not completely catabolize your precious muscle in 30 minutes.

^ I agree with all of this.
  • xtrasmallone
    xtrasmallone Posts: 13 Member
    Replacing breakie with a protein shake is not something that worked for me. I have found my hunger is better under control when I eat a solid high protein breakfast. Believe it or not, I eat cottage cheese and berries and I have found that start to my day works better than anything else. When I have a protein shake for breakfast, I find my hunger out of control all day. Of course, everyone is different. Just be aware of your own body.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Agreed with lean body mass, and eating your protein whenever you want.

Whey isolate is generally the cheapest protien with the highest protein and lowest calories. I just buy Body Fortress because I can get it at Walmart and it taste decent. Water is the easiest, lowest calorie thing to mix it with but it tastes better in skim milk (and milk adds even more protein). Or you can blend it up with ice, fruit, water, milk, coffee, whatever.
  • laureen8885
    laureen8885 Posts: 5 Member
    I've been using Isopure which is around $50 and I use about 15-20g at one time which is not the serving size. It is zero carbs and zero sugar. I mix with water so I also cut calories this way.

They have fruity koolaide like flavors such as my favorite pineapple banana orange and alpine punch or mango peach!