Overnight Oats

Options

Replies

• sanguinepenguin
    Options
    Has anyone tried this with Bob's seven grain cereal? Dry, it almost has the consistency of rice, so I don't know if it would still be too hard in the morning.
  • DrB92
    DrB92 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have an awsome recipe:

Makes a crockpot full.

2 C Steel Cut Oats
    1 C Something(Half and half...Milk...Silk...Almod milk...etc) I use Silk Light original
    8 C water.

Put in crockpot at bedtime. Wake up...OATMEAL!!!

Then I add 2 TSP kosher salt, 1 Cup buttermilk, 100G maple syrup, 140G Splenda Brown Sugar blend, and 1/2 TBSP cinnamon.

It is outstanding and only 218cal in a 275G bowlful.

Refrigerate leftovers and microwave for 3 min with a little more water.

It is my daily staple!!!
  • valspaeth
    valspaeth Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bump
  • murray292
    murray292 Posts: 32
    Options
    bump
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It's a staple of my diet. And I personally find it amazingly delicious.

The nice thing about it is you can add whatever you want to it (as long as you are mindful of the calories of what you add!). The other nice thing is that it takes about a minute to mix up the night before, and I can grab it out of the refrigerator in the morning and throw it in my pannier bag on my bicycle for my 14-mile commute. When I get to work, take my shower and instant delicious and filling brekkies awaits!

The oats and yogurt in equal proportions are the "base", then I add what I like.

My favorite recipe:

- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
    - 1/2 cup 1% yogurt
    - 1 tablespoon crunchy peanut butter (the good kind that says "ingredients: peanuts")
    - 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
    - 1 tablespoon molasses
    - 1 teaspoon cinnamon

I made this last night for this morning - two versions one with the cocoa powder and molasses and one without - had a little of both and they were both very good. As i am not a huge yogurt fan i was wondering if they can also be done with 2% or 1% milk?
  • lilsis10
    lilsis10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump
  • efish3
    efish3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • meganmcg77
    meganmcg77 Posts: 38
    Options
    I'm in love with cold oats!

Here is my simplified version after trying the ones from skinnytaste and pinterest:

1/4 c old fashioned oats
    1/2 c dark chocolate almond milk
    nedium banana, cut into slices
    1 packet splenda

put in mason jar, smash banana a little with fork, shake

225 calories

It's like dessert for breakfast :)
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm in love with cold oats!

Here is my simplified version after trying the ones from skinnytaste and pinterest:

1/4 c old fashioned oats
    1/2 c dark chocolate almond milk
    nedium banana, cut into slices
    1 packet splenda

put in mason jar, smash banana a little with fork, shake

225 calories

It's like dessert for breakfast :)

Always wanted to try almond mind, not sure i could do the dark chocolate, but his might be a good time to try it! Thanks!
  • bgood24
    bgood24 Posts: 9
    Options
    I LOVE overnight oats! But a lot of recipes out there have way to many ingredients which 'up the calorie content'. I do 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup milk/almond milk, 1 tb chia seeds, and a drop of honey or pure maple syrup. They are delicious! Especially if you like textured puddings like tapioca or rice pudding. Has the same type of consistency.
  • GarthBear
    GarthBear Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • pldg
    pldg Posts: 18
    Options
    bump
  • jennadelane
    jennadelane Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have tried three different recipes of overnight oats and haven't found one I like yet. I hate plain greek yogurt so after I threw that batch out I substituted applesauce for the yogurt and it was ok, but nothing exciting. I then tried it with cocoa and didn't like it either. Still waiting to find my overnight oat soulmate, because I love the idea and nutirition benefits! Might try it with some chocolate soy milk...
  • RWBoston
    RWBoston Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    These recipes with cocoa powder and peanut butter sound amazing. I'm going to have to give those a try.

I generally just add all-natural applesauce and 1 tsp cinnamon to mine.
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of steel cut oats and saw only one post using that type. Does anyone use steel cut oats and greek yogurt as a combination? I think it might be really nice with some cinnamon and am going to give it a whirl. Just curious.
  • jdhubbard
    jdhubbard Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to trying these recipes out. Thanks!
  • MichelleLee73
    Options
    bump :wink:
  • momof4ts
    momof4ts Posts: 118
    Options
    Bump:flowerforyou:
  • habu68123
    habu68123 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump
  • toysbigkid