OMG Ya'll. Still not Losing.

Options

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    OP - depending on who you ask, the day and how the stars are aligned *Laughs* all change the answers you will get. I am not a fan of TDEE or BMR - based solely on my own research. But I won't go into that here. As for your questions / concerns, I personally think you need to overhaul your meal plans. Induldge me?

What does that even mean? That's like saying "I'm not a fan of height or eye colour".
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    He did it for over 18 months and was just fine. I by no means have fasted, but have not eaten anywhere close to my BMR for over a year, so by your argument I am anorexic and about to die from organ failure

If you are eating as low as you are, you very may well technically be anorexic. And organ failure occurs from long term and severely reduced calories. It is a medical fact, not some hocus pocus I am making up. The rate at which organ damage occurs depends on the number of calories eaten in comparison to BMR as well as a few health factors.

I don't care what "He did" and being "Just fine" is HARDLY a medically sound opinion based on factual evidence.

DO NOT promote anorexia in the forums. It is against forum policy. If you cannot come up with a better suggestion than STARVE YOURSELF for people, do not bother.

The fact that I am not quoting the medical journal has nothing to do with no "sound medical advice" I by any means am nowhere near anorexic, 178 lbs is NOT anorexic. I was going by YOUR definition to show you how barbaric your reasoning is. Just because I don't eat 1,587 cals a day does not mean I am harming myself. My goal is to lose FAT which is stored up in my body and needs to be burned off. If I eat the cals I plan to burn every day, that will get me nowhere or see decimal changes every week. I don't know about you, but I really don't want to take years to lose weight, I change my lifestyle and along with that comes a healthier and smaller me. Just because someone doesn't believe what you do just like those stuck on "starvation mode" doesn't mean there is no other way around it or no other opinion out there, get off your high horse or show me your medical degree.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options

I think we are on very similar pages. My route is safer and more controlled though. Given that even your source (A guy with a big chest) even agreed with me is nicely re-assuring.

"Authorities" tend to be so because they have data, facts, and science to back them up. They rarely go on "Just because I believe".

I won't ever recommend a person starve themselves to be skinny. As I mentioned, that is anorexia, and I will NOT promote it. I will promote a healthy lifestyle that includes eating proper foods in the proper amounts in combination with resistance and cardio training.

John Barban has a masters in exercise physiology and he doesn't agree with you. He said eating WELL BELOW your BMR (as in crash/starvation diets, as in 500 calories) for very long periods will of course result in muscle loss.

Anorexia is very rare. Only one in 10,000-20,000 people have it. You don't need to worry about the lady in this thread. She doesn't.

No one's saying starve themselves.

Here's an example. I'm not particularly young, large, tall or male, so my BMR is fairly low, probably around 1450. I also have a desk job so my TDEE is only 1800ish often. So if I had to eat between those values, that's a whopping 350 calories of deficit I can create per day. According to MFP wisdom, I can't even grow that by being more active because I'm supposed to 'eat back' exercise calories. So under this method, even though I'm 20 lbs. over the top of healthy BMI, I can only aim to lose 3 lbs/month. 350 calories/3500 calories = 1 lb. every 10 days or so. So I have to spend nearly TEN MONTHS to lose 25 lbs.

All authorities say I can safely aim to lose 2 lbs/week. So according to everything except MFP forum wisdom, I can lose my 25 lbs. in about 3 months, not 10. That's a HUGE difference. Are you saying if I lose 2 lbs/week, I'm anorexic? Or on a starvation diet? This is what Weight Watchers allows, Mayo Clinic, every published diet in the last several decades says 2 lbs/week is perfectly healthy.
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm not being confrontational either. I know it sounds like it. I just am tired of hearing this advice dished out here left and right like it's gospel. People misunderstand BMR. Look at it this way-- losing fat requires a caloric deficit. SOME bodily activity is going to be 'funded' by calories in fat cells, rather than in today's food. We don't get to pick which day's calories fuel which activities. All that matters is that there is a deficit and that it's not too steep to neglect our bodies' needs for daily fiber, essential amino and fatty acids, satiety, that sort of thing. Energy is not addressed by today's calories alone. Stored calories hold the exact same energy as today's calories (3500 to a lb.) That's what a calorie is, by definition. A unit of energy.

Agreed. And, for those of us here are are bigger folks, there is absolutely no way I will loose weight eating my suggested BMR. At 280 lbs and 6' tall, most BMR calcs put me in the 2,400 calories per day range. I know this doesn't work for me because that's around what I ate for years (while still working out) and I steadily gained weight left and right.

I've been on 1,500 (which according to the BMR calc is 48% under my reccomended BMR). Yet, I am not feeling down, weak, etc.

Each of our bodies are different, and each of us has to find that magic balance between food and healthy weight loss. There is no magic calculation that works for everyone, we are all just too diverse. I am finding it is more an art form, then direct calculations.

THIS ^^^^^^^^
  • jazzygirls23
    jazzygirls23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would also add your sugar to your chart, and try to keep that lower.
  • SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    People get very touchy on the topic of BMR, TDEE, net cal whatever. OP I think you should consult with a professional if you are really concerned about how much and what you should eat.

You have lost a decent amount of weight thus far. It could be that you are about to start you menstrual cycle or any other factor. One week of not seeing a loss is nothing major. I would say give it three weeks at least.

Good luck to you!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    3 weeks isn't much time. I didn't lose anything for almost a month, then it just started falling off. If you keep eating at a deficit and working out you will lose. Give it time.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    John Barban has a masters in exercise physiology and he doesn't agree with you. He said eating WELL BELOW your BMR (as in crash/starvation diets, as in 500 calories) for very long periods will of course result in muscle loss.

Anorexia is very rare. Only one in 10,000-20,000 people have it. You don't need to worry about the lady in this thread. She doesn't.

No one's saying starve themselves.

Here's an example. I'm not particularly young, large, tall or male, so my BMR is fairly low, probably around 1450. I also have a desk job so my TDEE is only 1800ish often. So if I had to eat between those values, that's a whopping 350 calories of deficit I can create per day. According to MFP wisdom, I can't even grow that by being more active because I'm supposed to 'eat back' exercise calories. So under this method, even though I'm 20 lbs. over the top of healthy BMI, I can only aim to lose 3 lbs/month. 350 calories/3500 calories = 1 lb. every 10 days or so. So I have to spend nearly TEN MONTHS to lose 25 lbs.

All authorities say I can safely aim to lose 2 lbs/week. So according to everything except MFP forum wisdom, I can lose my 25 lbs. in about 3 months, not 10. That's a HUGE difference. Are you saying if I lose 2 lbs/week, I'm anorexic? Or on a starvation diet? This is what Weight Watchers allows, Mayo Clinic, every published diet in the last several decades says 2 lbs/week is perfectly healthy.

You don't have to eat back your calories. The "eating back your calories" thing depends on many factors. Basically, the amount of body fat you have on you determines the safe level of a calorie deficit you can handle. (Mine for example is about 998 calorie deficit).

My BMR is about 1500 and my TDEE is about 1900. If I eat 1600 a day, I have a 300 deficit. I can safely exercise an extra 698 calories. If I exercise 998 calories, I now have a 1298 calorie deficit. This is now unhealthy for me. So, I need to eat back 300.

And see, the problem here is that these weight loss goals people have here ARE for long periods of time. So, telling them its okay to eat below their BMR for long periods of time IS anorexia. I'm cool for several days in a row or a day here and there etc. That's A-Ok, totally normal.

But, telling someone to go ahead and eat 500 calories a day or what not for a a year or more to match their weight loss goals... no. I will not ever suggest that.
  • Southernsass6885
    Southernsass6885 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Ya'll are helping so much! Sorry I couldn't get back sooner. Hard to do at work. So, my TDEE: 2437 and my BMR: 1770. So, am I supposed to take that as I need to eat a min of 1770?
  • DaddyJoJo
    DaddyJoJo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Jaimi

You are doing great... keep it simple. I have been back on MFP for 2 weeks myself.

Dana, Pettigrew and Ange all have good posts. After 3 wks you should be seeing better results. SO, my .02, is all about fine tuning. Be better about logging all meals (ESPECIALLY snacks/ cheats, etc), weigh yourself at the same time daily, and be prepared for some ups and downs. I started at 210.1 two weeks ago and weighed in at 204.1 this AM.

For me? Nothing crazy--- simple stuff. I log EVERYTHING during the week, give myself the weekend to prove I have good habits, and Sunday is a free day.

So far here are MY biggest contributors to 6 pounds in 2 weeks:

--Log EVERYTHING Mon-Fri
    --Weigh-ins at 7AM each morning before coffee
    --Add an "Alcohol" Category to your settings (if you drank it, you record it)
    --2 beers/ wines a day, or exercise to support more
    --WATER -- keep a 32 oz screw-bottle at your desk; drink 1/day
    --NO box-foods, prepackaged stuff, and if I eat out - eat half and "doggie-bag" the rest for tomorrow
    --NO buffalo chicken wings of ANY kind (fried, baked, boiled). 80-190 calories each is not worth it to me now.
    --Fresh cubed ahi/ salmon on lunch salads

I've noticed HUGE decrease in my snacking appetite with just the water and fish (which is huge in protein). Personally, I was "snack cheating" about 400 calories a day before I realized it was my problem.

I hope this helps some.
    Joe
  • DaddyJoJo
    DaddyJoJo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Jaimi

You are doing great... keep it simple. I have been back on MFP for 2 weeks myself.

Dana, Pettigrew and Ange all have good posts. After 3 wks you should be seeing better results. SO, my .02, is all about fine tuning. Be better about logging all meals (ESPECIALLY snacks/ cheats, etc), weigh yourself at the same time daily, and be prepared for some ups and downs. I started at 210.1 two weeks ago and weighed in at 204.1 this AM.

For me? Nothing crazy--- simple stuff. I log EVERYTHING during the week, give myself the weekend to prove I have good habits, and Sunday is a free day.

So far here are MY biggest contributors to 6 pounds in 2 weeks:

--Log EVERYTHING Mon-Fri
    --Weigh-ins at 7AM each morning before coffee
    --Add an "Alcohol" Category to your settings (if you drank it, you record it)
    --2 beers/ wines a day, or exercise to support more
    --WATER -- keep a 32 oz screw-bottle at your desk; drink 1/day
    --NO box-foods, prepackaged stuff, and if I eat out - eat half and "doggie-bag" the rest for tomorrow
    --NO buffalo chicken wings of ANY kind (fried, baked, boiled). 80-190 calories each is not worth it to me now.
    --Fresh cubed ahi/ salmon on lunch salads

I've noticed HUGE decrease in my snacking appetite with just the water and fish (which is huge in protein). Personally, I was "snack cheating" about 400 calories a day before I realized it was my problem.

I hope this helps some.
    Joe
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat back your calories. The "eating back your calories" thing depends on many factors. Basically, the amount of body fat you have on you determines the safe level of a calorie deficit you can handle. (Mine for example is about 998 calorie deficit).

My BMR is about 1500 and my TDEE is about 1900. If I eat 1600 a day, I have a 300 deficit. I can safely exercise an extra 698 calories. If I exercise 998 calories, I now have a 1298 calorie deficit. This is now unhealthy for me. So, I need to eat back 300.

And see, the problem here is that these weight loss goals people have here ARE for long periods of time. So, telling them its okay to eat below their BMR for long periods of time IS anorexia. I'm cool for several days in a row or a day here and there etc. That's A-Ok, totally normal.

But, telling someone to go ahead and eat 500 calories a day or what not for a a year or more to match their weight loss goals... no. I will not ever suggest that.

I don't know where you're getting 500 calories a day from. What your plan for you is is fine. All I'm saying is please stop saying "It's dangerous to eat below your BMR" or "You can't eat below your BMR". MFP uses 1200 as a floor. That's plenty conservative. There's no need to make it moreso by adding forum myths into the equation, especially when people add the "you have to EAT BACK" myth. (Obviously, if not 'eating back' puts you at more than 2 lbs/week loss, it's not recommended, but otherwise there's no reason you have to 'eat back'.)

Off my soap box.
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Jaimi, when you go under your calorie intake your body goes into starvation mode and your body will store fat so you can function. I hope that everything goes well and also remember that fat will turn to muscle and muscle is heavier. Stay positive doll. You are doing great.

Fat does not turn into muscle. You burn fat off, and the muscle is hiding underneath of it.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    You need to eat breakfast, coffee alone is not good enough. Poptarts are not a good choice. You need to cut back on the chinese food and desserts. Drink diet soda if you must drink soda.
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You need to eat breakfast, coffee alone is not good enough. Poptarts are not a good choice. You need to cut back on the chinese food and desserts. Drink diet soda if you must drink soda.
    Some people don't like eating breakfast. Eating breakfast or not doesn't affect weight loss.
  • Mattdemon
    Mattdemon Posts: 79
    Options
    cut down on your carbs and win. do a little during the first half of your day and take them out in the evening. tdee, heehee and tmi are for people who want to stay fat for a while before losing weight.

your protein intake looks good, keep it that way, the protein will help you from losing muscle. muscle burns fat and the more muscle you have the more calories your body burns everyday doing nothing but being alive.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Using this as conversation starter, I am not speaking of the poster of this comment at all, since I don't know her.
    I by any means am nowhere near anorexic, 178 lbs is NOT anorexic.

It is my understanding from things that I have read (and I don't have time to dig out sources as I am at work) that while a person who is overweight could never meet the clinical physical definition of anorexia, that person could still be eating disordered and meet the psychological definition (eventually leading to the physical). The person could exhibit the behaviors of an anorexic (or bulimic) person and that person could still do harm to their body.
  • Southernsass6885
    Options
    Just a couple of clarifications

I'm fairly active: I work as a superviser/server/slave for a catering company-I'm surrounded by food...all. the. time. I love my job. But I'm on my feet 7-14 hours a day. Most of that time, I'm going, let's say 3.0m or full-out running. In addition, I work out. Not as often as I'd like, but I do my fair share of cardio and attempt weight training in between. (If you have to carry 30 lb trays, you gotta have SOME muscle.)

Secondly, all that crap food was while I was on vacation. And as most of you know, staying on target while you're on vacation is HARD. So, I stayed under my calories (for the most part?).

3rdly, all of ya'll are being so helpful. I do think I need to up my calories a little bit, eat breakfast (which is the HARDEST thing in the world for me), and cut out the crappy food. But if you have more tips, please tell me. That'd be great! Thanks all :D
  • Southernsass6885
    Options
    This is a BIG Help!