The Secret ------- Debunked!

Options

Replies

• HulkDiesel77
    HulkDiesel77 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with you!
    Water is important, but to lose weight one needs to eat right, exercise more.
  • HulkDiesel77
    Options
    haha no worries :)

But that's what the OP said. He said eating right and exercising are important, but you also have to have water.

mea culpa, I must have mis-read that part. Sorry OP!!!!
  • NoSpandex
    NoSpandex Posts: 54
    Options
    Not to get in a medical battle with you but most Americans do not drink enough water and overweight people tend to confuse being thisty to being hungry.
    So just to be clear what this is saying.................everyday hydrate properly and use good sense :)

Also not to be an *kitten* but anyone can go on the internet and quote someone elses thoughts in a forum setting. Maybe if you to less of this and more doing what needs to be done then you could bring more value to future forums.

Sorry for seeming like an *kitten* but I hate it when people take you off the topic at hand and get the subject on something that wasnt discussed.

Very true water aphixation can be very dangereous that is why I metioned don't drink it all at the same time lol. However most Americans do not drink enough water even if they look healthy and fit so drinking when we are thirsty only has been proven for years not work. Its just like our diets, we have to work on them and track our results!!!!!!!!

Common sense and all things in moderation. If you are thirsty, drink. If not, don't. Drinking more water than your body needs is harmful

http://drbenkim.com/drink-too-much-water-dangerous.html

The water consumption does not have to happen quickly. Any time you (even slowly) give your body more water than it needs you are doing harm. Only people with chronic dehydration issues are unable to recognize when their bodies are thirsty. These are typically people with extreme health problems and the elderly. As Dr. Kim says:

"Whenever you disregard your sense of thirst and strive to ingest several glasses of water a day just because you have been told that doing so is good for your health, you actually put unnecessary strain on your body in two major ways:

Ingesting more water than you need can increase your total blood volume. And since your blood volume exists within a closed system (your circulatory system), needlessly increasing your blood volume on a regular basis puts unnecessary burden on your heart and blood vessels.

Your kidneys must work overtime to filter excess water out of your circulatory system. Your kidneys are not the equivalent of a pair of plumbing pipes whereby the more water you flush through your kidneys, the cleaner they become; rather, the filtration system that exists in your kidneys is composed in part by a series of specialized capillary beds called glomeruli. Your glomeruli can get damaged by unnecessary wear and tear over time, and drowning your system with large amounts of water is one of many potential causes of said damage.

Putting unnecessary burden on your cardiovascular system and your kidneys by ingesting unnecessary water is a subtle process. For the average person, it is virtually impossible to know that this burden exists, as there are usually no obvious symptoms on a moment-to-moment basis. But make no mistake about it: this burden is real and can hurt your health over the long term."

Sorry to bring fact and medical opinion into your thread. And yeah, you are being an *kitten*. I am not trying to stop you from drinking as much water as you please, but you are recommending that other people drink amounts of water that could be potentially harmful to their health. I am only saying that instead of blindly taking your advice, that people should do the research and decide what is best for them. You know, sometimes people are going to disagree with your opinion. It is not done to upset you. This forum is about different people giving input on various subjects. It is certainly not personal.

Lighten up a little. Have a glass of water and calm down :smile:
  • withabandon
    withabandon Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Common sense and all things in moderation. If you are thirsty, drink. If not, don't. Drinking more water than your body needs is harmful

The person in that article drank 2 gallons of water (it doesn't say in what time period). I don't remember the OP suggesting that.

It says that it occured over "two or three hours". I usually drink close to 100oz of water in the course of a work day plus more if I am exercising.
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options

Actually I have to disagree with this. When you are training for any type of endurance event the studies all say you want to drink/hydrate BEFORE you are thirsty. If you wait until you are thirsty you are already in stage 1 dehydration. And (not related to this particular topic) if you are sweating a lot you not only need fluids but also electrolyte replacement (including sodium)

Worrying about having too much water throughout the day is a waste of time. You have to drink A LOT of water in a very, very short period of time to get water "poisoning". You have to drink enough to throw off your entire electrolyte system.
  • HulkDiesel77
    Options
    Don't mind the medical cutting and pasting however I wanted more feedback and when a thread goes from good input to medical feedback it kills the thread.......everytime.......just saying
    Not to get in a medical battle with you but most Americans do not drink enough water and overweight people tend to confuse being thisty to being hungry.
    So just to be clear what this is saying.................everyday hydrate properly and use good sense :)

Also not to be an *kitten* but anyone can go on the internet and quote someone elses thoughts in a forum setting. Maybe if you to less of this and more doing what needs to be done then you could bring more value to future forums.

Sorry for seeming like an *kitten* but I hate it when people take you off the topic at hand and get the subject on something that wasnt discussed.

Very true water aphixation can be very dangereous that is why I metioned don't drink it all at the same time lol. However most Americans do not drink enough water even if they look healthy and fit so drinking when we are thirsty only has been proven for years not work. Its just like our diets, we have to work on them and track our results!!!!!!!!

The water consumption does not have to happen quickly. Any time you (even slowly) give your body more water than it needs you are doing harm. Only people with chronic dehydration issues are unable to recognize when their bodies are thirsty. These are typically people with extreme health problems and the elderly. As Dr. Kim says:

"Whenever you disregard your sense of thirst and strive to ingest several glasses of water a day just because you have been told that doing so is good for your health, you actually put unnecessary strain on your body in two major ways:

Ingesting more water than you need can increase your total blood volume. And since your blood volume exists within a closed system (your circulatory system), needlessly increasing your blood volume on a regular basis puts unnecessary burden on your heart and blood vessels.

Your kidneys must work overtime to filter excess water out of your circulatory system. Your kidneys are not the equivalent of a pair of plumbing pipes whereby the more water you flush through your kidneys, the cleaner they become; rather, the filtration system that exists in your kidneys is composed in part by a series of specialized capillary beds called glomeruli. Your glomeruli can get damaged by unnecessary wear and tear over time, and drowning your system with large amounts of water is one of many potential causes of said damage.

Putting unnecessary burden on your cardiovascular system and your kidneys by ingesting unnecessary water is a subtle process. For the average person, it is virtually impossible to know that this burden exists, as there are usually no obvious symptoms on a moment-to-moment basis. But make no mistake about it: this burden is real and can hurt your health over the long term."

Sorry to bring fact and medical opinion into your thread. And yeah, you are being an *kitten*. I am not trying to stop you from drinking as much water as you please, but you are recommending that other people drink amounts of water that could be potentially harmful to their health. I am only saying that instead of blindly taking your advice, that people should do the research and decide what is best for them. You know, sometimes people are going to disagree with your opinion. It is not done to upset you. This forum is about different people giving input on various subjects. It is certainly not personal.

Lighten up a little. Have a glass of water and calm down :smile:
  • redshoeshelley
    redshoeshelley Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Agreed!
    Great post:drinker:
  • HulkDiesel77
    Options
    I agree with you totally :)

Actually I have to disagree with this. When you are training for any type of endurance event the studies all say you want to drink/hydrate BEFORE you are thirsty. If you wait until you are thirsty you are already in stage 1 dehydration. And (not related to this particular topic) if you are sweating a lot you not only need fluids but also electrolyte replacement (including sodium)

Worrying about having too much water throughout the day is a waste of time. You have to drink A LOT of water in a very, very short period of time to get water "poisoning". You have to drink enough to throw off your entire electrolyte system.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    "Generally if you drink enough fluid so that you rarely feel thirsty and produce 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) or more of colorless or light yellow urine a day, your fluid intake is probably adequate. "

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283/NSECTIONGROUP=2
  • redcollins78
    redcollins78 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Information received, and now I'm headed to fill up my cup!
  • MicaelaFW
    MicaelaFW Posts: 63
    Options
    also agree
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I credit water as a huge reason I lost so much weight.
    Water aids all the functions of the body, and 8 cups is more than enough, because we get some from foods and such.

First, before a meal, I drink a cup; it has no calories and fills up the stomach, making me less hungry.
    Second, keeping the body properly hydrated prevents excess water retention.
    And there is a bunch of folklore regarding water and metabolism - who knows?
    I just know I did much better drinking a lot of water.

Health benefits of drinking water might include: [I said MIGHT]
    regulate appetite
    increase metabolism
    boost energy levels
    less water retention
    alleviate some headaches
    help reduce blood pressure
    help reduce high cholesterol
    ease joint pain
    decrease in risk of some cancers
    less chance developing kidney stones
    release toxic waste products
    improves skin

http://www.weightlossforall.com/benefits-wate r-drinking.htm
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I went to my alternative health professionals last Tuesday (for theraputic Massage and Accupunture treatment for a bad neck) and they said the exact same thing! I was shocked! I was skeptical (I don't know why, they never steered me wrong) but with your experience, I am going to do that! 264lbs today. That means what, 132 oz a day! Heading to the Water Fountain right now to fill the 32 oz cup! About 4 of them shoud do me right! Also be heading to the bathroom a lot but what the heck? Thanks for your experineces. I hope to report back with the same experineces!

Drinking water also helps prevent eating more. Many times the body feels hunger when it is dehydrated. Simply drinking water at 0 calories solves this, but many people eat food instead.

Maybe...but believe me...when i have drank 120 oz of water, and I am feeling hungry...there is NO way I am dehydrated...as is the case right now..lol
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I don't know if drinking water prevents eating. Studies show that eating water-rich foods DOES make us feel more full (fruits, soups) but drinking water with food doesn't cause the same satiety.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    This may or may not work for everyone, but it's good to hear from someone who not only lost the weight but was interested enough to focus on a pattern. Congrats OP and thanks for the reminder!
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    OP is entirely correct, the organs move the fat out, liver needs to function to get rid of the fat and the liver can't do that job without adequate water.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Screw water, my diet trinity is a butt load of running, walking dog, cycling, lifting.... Then eating between 800-1200 nutrient dense food making sure I don't have TOO much meat as yes that is a killer to both mood and health... and Carbonated sugar-free diet sodas... ohhh yea baby... coke zero or fanta zero alllll dayyyy long! And coffee... butt loads of coffee too 3 tsp coffee no milk or sugar :)
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Breathing... breathing is also important for losing weight...
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    "lossing weight"

What does this mean?!? I am so lossed....