Saunas - burn calories?

Options
any thoughts on suanas & calories burning? i have seen conflicting things about this. Do you actually burn calories in a sauna, or just sweat out toxins? Are these calories significant enough to even consider?

Thoughts?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Saunas are nice and relaxing but that's it, they make you sweat (forget the toxin nonsense) and don't make you burn any extra calories above your resting rate.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You lose water weight through sweating...no calorie burn.Unless you are working out in the sauna? :wink:
  • Aneallen2009
    Options
    Ok my opinion on the sauna is my personal opinion and noone has to take it into account. Working out in a nice cool place where you never sweat gives you way less effective results. Sweating your tail off however helps burn calories. By getting hot and sweaty you raise your heart rate more and burn more. I believe yes seating in a sauna helps clean pores out it for sure raises heart rate and blood pressure because i have high blood pressure and I have to be super careful in the amount if time a spend in one. I'd say you are burning some calories. You are sweating out the trash in your pores (be sure to replace with fresh clean water)(I also always keep a cool wet towel that I wipes off with while in the sauna) and at a minimum it heats you up gets you sweating and heart going so sit in the sauna a Lil bit before running or biking... Gives you a jump start! I also live the benefits it gives me if I am sore.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    personal opinion here: saunas are great for relaxing but for someone like myself who has rosacea they're a nightmare on my skin.

[quote
    any thoughts on suanas & calories burning? i have seen conflicting things about this. Do you actually burn calories in a sauna, or just sweat out toxins? Are these calories significant enough to even consider?

Thoughts?
    [/quote]
  • Aneallen2009
    Options
    I too feel a lot drier specially if I'm not drinking water before during and after.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I saw someone (one of my MFP friends) who logs suana time as calorie burn. I was curious too.

But then, I don't log normal every day things I do around the house either. I only log actualy excercise to get my total calories burned for the day.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Sure they do. All you have to do is run around the perimeter in circles and there you go.