motivate me...

Options
i am in a slump. big slump. dropped just over 50 pounds since january, 30 or so of which have been since joining mfp. i love the site, but have hit a rough patch lately. i actually have more free time on my hands now, and that is bad for me b/c i keep putting off exercising til "later" and "later" become tomorrow and tomorrow becomes never. well, atleast nothing in the last two weeks. had some big events, my son's birthday ( out to dinner, then cake and left over cake) went to a neighbor's wedding (food, drinks, more drinks and cake) and family visiting from out of town (out to breakfast one day, lunch the next, for ice cream the last day) and all the while, trying to maintain some type of routine. oh, and i pretty much forgot what water tastes like. plus, it is like 100 degrees here, humid and so tough to exercise for me in that heat. i am scared of falling in to old habits and throwing in the towel. i think i have about 10 or 15 more pounds to go. and then of course, will try to maintain a weight within a few pounds of that.

so now i need your help, all the mfp members have pulled thru for me before. get my butt in gear, give me some motivational quote, some advice, something to get me back on track. i clearly can't do it alone, i keep saying "i'll start again tomorrow."

up until about a week ago, i loved how i felt, was incredibly proud of myself for the successes i've had, but don't feel any of that now. help, please.

Replies

• knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    bump for help...
  • RenVan
    RenVan Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    We are all at risk of falling back into our old patterns and behavior.
    Feel free to add me, I log in every day and try to post a motivational workout quote on my profile.
    My food diary is also open and may seem odd at times as I'm a shift worker.
    Good luck!

Renée
  • lindsiswatchingyou
    lindsiswatchingyou Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Pretend you're starting over. With fresh eyes may come fresh inspiration. I bet at the beginning your workouts were small. To get back into it, just promise yourself 15 minutes a day: jumping jacks in the A/C, duckwalks down the driveway...you can do this!
  • rickpearce
    rickpearce Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Just remember the disappointment you feel in yourself for failing. Imagine feeling that right now. Your choice is to literally do something, or feel like this in a matter of no time. If it's too hot outside do something inside. Go through away some bad food and drink some water, see if that sparks you.

I wish I had a better answer. If I did I may not be in a similar situation myself. Good luck.
  • higgins09cait
    Options
    I have a couple of quotes that I turn to when I need a little push. I hope they can help for you like they have for me.

"What do I fear? I fear stagnation and lack of proress. I fear never reaching my potential and being average. I fear being forgotten...the past...yesterday's news. I fear giving up and being passed by, going softly into that good night. I fear letting those I love down, letting myself down. I fear settling, giving in to the 'thats just the way it is' mindset. I fear dying without leaving my mark. I fear not feeling these fears anymore and just floating along. These fears feed me, they nourish my drive. I love my fear."

"If you guys are really wondering if you are 'burning out mentally' take a day off and go to your local hospital. Go to the cancer wing. Look at a 4 year old, who wont ever see their teenage years, probably wont ever see their next birthday. Go and see someone who is mentally or physically retarted. Or see when a soldier who just came back from the war who doesnt have a leg anymore. Stare that guy down, look him right in the eyes, and tell him, as you stand there with two capable legs, that you are 'burned out.' That you dont want to use them. See if that doesnt kill him right there. Beacause he'd do anything to have the opportunity."
  • rickpearce
    rickpearce Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I challenge you to motivate someone else TODAY. Maybe the process of doing that will spark something in you.

I always find when I am doing well I am trying to help others and it keeps me motivated.
  • lauras777
    lauras777 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    First of all Congratulations on the 50 pounds lost! That is quite an accomplishment! :flowerforyou:

Now, on to the slump...It does become tiresome to day in and day out have to think about everything you put in your mouth, and how much exercise you need to do to compensate for that special treat that you may want later in the day....but by doing so look where it has gotten you so far.....and where it will take you....to your ultimate goal!!!

I too have been on MFP since January, and at times question my own strength to keep this up, but so far I have logged in every single day, and tracked 99.9% of all food that has entered my body...with pretty good results so far!!!

So keep it up and let us know how much exercise you did today.......we are waiting.........:wink:
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    thanks to everyone that responded. i am really trying to focus today and get back on track, altho with rain making my knees sore, exercising will be tough today, but if i can stay on track with food and water, it'll be a good start.

i don't have friends on here, never really wanted any, i just don't think i have the time to be a good friend back. maybe i will rethink that as part of what keeps me motivated.

one small, good, decision leads to another good decision. good decisions lead to a healthier, happier me.

thanks again!
  • wasereht
    wasereht Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Love love love your quotes. Thanks for sharing.