Bicycle Commute to Work - Tips?

Options
I was thinking, while jogging this morning, that I need to find ways to add exercise to my daily routine. You know, exercise as a byproduct, rather than a formal workout. Hhhmm...my bicycle has been hanging in my garage, untouched, for 2 years. My work commute is about 8 miles. There are locker rooms/showers at my office...I could drive on Mondays and bring work clothes for the remainder of the week to store in my locker. I could probably figure out a safe route (what should be considered safe?)...

Does anyone commute to work by bicycle? If so, can you offer some tips? My biking experience is limited to bike paths, so I'm sure there are issues I haven't considered...

Replies

• tammyj83
    tammyj83 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Yoohoo....anyone out there? ...Maybe I put this on the wrong board....
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Bicycle commuting is awesome!!! Welcome to the community of cycle commuters.

Tips? I guess i would say:
    Get a descent bike, in good working order.
    Get good tires for it.
    Eat a proper breakfast before leaving the house. The more fruit, the better.
    Get lights/bells/helmet, all proper safety equipment
    Learn the best and safest routes. Google maps has bicycle directions now.
    STAY HYDRATED
    Keep your brakes working properly
    Get good clothing
    Get good cargo carrying ability. Could be as simple as a backpack
    Bring a towel, washrag, etc to work, and take a "hobo-shower" in the bathroom before clocking in. (Hot summer months)
    Check into "E-Bikes", if you are in Chicago or near, i build custom E-Bikes.

Get used to laughing when you pass by gas stations!!!
  • MiserCatulle
    MiserCatulle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Those are great tips. I'd also add:

-Familiarize yourself with local bicycle laws. In particular, know what the rules are about riding on the road or sidewalks -- where I live, bikes are allowed to use roadways, which makes my commute a lot more direct than trying to take a bike path.

-Learn how to take care of your bike. In particular, knowing how to change a tire can really help. I always carry a spare and a pump with me -- I've never had a flat on the way to work yet, but if it should happen, I'd be able to be back on the road in 5-10 minutes.

-Always check the weather before you leave, and be prepared in case conditions should change while you're at work. Nothing is more annoying (and potentially dangerous) than leaving when it's sunny out, and having to bike back in the rain/snow.

Overall, bike commuting is great -- you should definitely try it!
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I used to =) I had a beach cruiser. First of all.. I advise you to leave plenty early enough so that you can cool down and not look sweaty and sticky... =| Take a back pack with a change of clothes, I wouldn't wear to work what I just rode a bike in.. and take water =) If it is dark, make sure you are visible! Make sure that your work knows you ride a bike, so if you don't show up, someone can find you. I would ride on the sidewalks if you can.. people around here ride in the rode and it gets on the drivers nerves. Sidewalks are safer.. Take a phone and a weapon. =) I had a small knife I took with me...just in case.

It is fun.. I only did it because I didn't have a car though.. but still if I hadn't sold my bike there would be days I'd ride.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I used to, too darned hot now. But my tips are :water, helmet, and time...make sure you allot yourself PLENTY of extra time.
  • fixedgear05
    Options
    excellent idea! I used to bike 5.5 miles each way to work but have since moved (and have a much, much shorter commute). Don't let weather deter you (hoods fit well under most helmets, for the winter, for example) It got to the point where I didn't think of it as "exercise" but as part of my daily routine. Changing at work is easy and definitely doable. The locker idea sounds great, otherwise a good ol' backpack does the trick. Make sure to stay on the roads; it's often illegal (and very dangerous) to ride on sidewalks. At first (admittedly) it's super scary - such as making left turns - but signal your way and you'll get the hang of it. Don't forget your helmet! :-) Oh, and if possible, do it with a hybrid (or road) bike. Mountain bikes are not meant for roads because they're super heavy (frame + tires) and make you work a lot harder than necessary. They've got much more traction than you need!! Good luck.
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have commuted in two different places. I commuted 10 miles daily in Tampa, FL, which regularly scores #1 for pedestrian/cyclist fatalities in America. I now commute in a middle sized town in Kansas. Huge difference. Here are my tips:

1. Figure out your route, and make a few non-work-day attempts at it. I would say that often the most direct route is not the best, fastest, or safest route. But that comes from my time in Tampa, where I quickly learned that going a little out of my way was safer than braving main road rush hour traffic.

2. Get the right equipment. Even in daylight, a flashing taillight can save your life. A properly fitted helmet can be the difference between a minor crash and a trip to the emergency room. Gloves will be your friend in the event you get in a wreck.

3. Always assume that drivers can't see you. Or won't see you. Or don't see you.

4. Obey the traffic laws unless they are endangering you. 99% of the time, obeying the laws is good. Sometimes you have to break them to stay safe. I remember the stretch of road in Tampa where the only way to avoid getting served hot vehicular death on a platter was to make an illegal turn.

But have fun! I think my tips make it sound scary as hell, but I love commuting via bike. I do wonder, though ... am I the only dirty skank who just goes to work to work sweaty? I have never showered & changed after my commutes.
  • datenshi
    datenshi Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I see one suggestion saying don't ride on the sidewalks and another saying don't ride the road and stay on the sidewalk. I think it depends on the trafic patterns, the general mindset of drivers in your area, if there are bike lanes and if so how wide are they...

When I was 12 I got hit by a car while riding the sidewalk from someone backing out of a driveway but as an adult I know two people that have been killed riding in bike lanes because of drivers being impatient. Tragically one of them was a mother and her young son witnessed the collision.

Make sure you get an idea of the traffic patterns along your route when you are planning and decide what is best for you (and what the law requires in your area).

Datenshi
  • vb4evr
    vb4evr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Lot of good tips on here.
    I'm fairly new back to the bike commuting now as I now have some great access to bike paths and routes to our downtown core which makes minimal road traveling (Approx 12 miles from house to work).

Equipment - Make sure your equipment is in good working order (tire pressure, chain lubrication, tires, handlebars) and know how to at minimum change/patch your tire. I carry a patch kit, extra tube, and a couple cans of CO2 to fill)

Knowing your route, traffic patterns I think is important as well. Think it was mentioned a few extra minutes to avoid high congestion areas is important. At least to me anyways. =)

A good fitting for you bike would probably be good as well. (Seat height, position etc) Could help make the ride more pleasant.

Have fun. Know I am.