Taking some time off

Options
I wrote a couple weeks ago about my grandma dying....aside from being 83 it was very unexpected, she was still so seemingly healthy and sharp minded. She and I were very close. Now, three weeks later, my grandpa died (her husband). Basically he died of a broken heart....his health had been failing him for several years but once my grandma went I think he decided there was no more point in fighting.

I won't say I am out of my mind with grief....I lost my mom 8 years ago and this isn't on that same level. But I am sad and I miss them a lot. Two funerals in less than a month has just been emotionally and physically exhausting. I'm feeling blah, I don't feel like doing much more than the bare minimum (going to work)....don't want to cook or grocery shop and this of course turns into not wanting to eat healthy and work out.

I'm thinking about just taking the next two weeks off....I won't go crazy, but just not log my food, not work out if I really don't feel like it. Just give myself some time to deal with stuff and not feel guilty about it. Then come August get back in the swing of things full force and start fresh. Has anyone done this, taken time off during a difficult time? Did you find it easier to get back to it?

Replies

• petite_boleyn
    Options
    I think that this is a completely acceptable thing for you to do. Just listen to your body, and if you go into it with the mindset that you're not going to get out of control with your eating, then I'm sure you'll do fine. *hugs* Sorry for your loss.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your losses. You can always come back.

I've taken years off. You know what to do. Give yourself a break from this, you already know how to eat.

Take care of you. ((hug))
  • slashkiss
    slashkiss Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    First off - I am very sorry for your loss.

But don't stop ...

It is hard to get back. It is hard to get remotivated. It is hard to get strict.

My advice for what it is worth ... set your calories to maintaince and still log and pay attention to what you are eating otherwise it is too easy to fall back into horrible eating habits especially when it comes to emotional eating. Stay focused and when you are ready ... lower your calories and jump right back in.
  • ccarre81
    ccarre81 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss.

I took some time off for a few weeks because it was just mentally exhausting. I've come back more motivated now and have readjusted my goals.

So yes, by all means, take the time to just be. Come back when you are ready. Feel free to add me.
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options

But don't stop ...

It is hard to get back. It is hard to get remotivated. It is hard to get strict.

My advice for what it is worth ... set your calories to maintaince and still log and pay attention to what you are eating otherwise it is too easy to fall back into horrible eating habits especially when it comes to emotional eating. Stay focused and when you are ready ... lower your calories and jump right back in.

I think this is great advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • deluda
    deluda Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My sincere sympathy for your loss.

Take this time to heal. You may find that the food choices you make during your time away from logging aren't really that bad. As was mentioned before, listen to your body and don't go overboard making the bad choices.

*hugs*
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry for your loss.

If you feel taking some time off to deal with some of your emotions, etc. is what you need, by all means do so. Just take care of yourself and allow yourself the time needed to grieve. Death is so hard, and time truly does help you refocus and get back in the swing of things. ((((HUGS))))
  • bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    I'm very sorry for your loss. I lost my father in May and it was a very difficult time emotionally for me.

I can tell you that I stopped following MFP strictly and immediately gained weight (5 pounds over a month). It was so hard to get back on track and two months later, I'm still having a hard time staying on track. However, I will say that sometimes life gets in the way of weight loss whether you want it to or not.

If you do decide to go off track, just don't whole hog and eat the world. For me, I found that food was not nearly as comforting as I thought it might be.
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options

But don't stop ...

I think this is great advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think this is good advice too! And I am sorry for your losses. Just don't emotionally eat, still make good food choices, and don't work out if you don't wanna. Allow yourself time to greive!
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'm very sorry for your loss. I lost my father in May and it was a very difficult time emotionally for me.

I can tell you that I stopped following MFP strictly and immediately gained weight (5 pounds over a month). It was so hard to get back on track and two months later, I'm still having a hard time staying on track. However, I will say that sometimes life gets in the way of weight loss whether you want it to or not.

If you do decide to go off track, just don't whole hog and eat the world. For me, I found that food was not nearly as comforting as I thought it might be.

^^I am sorry about your loss too, I hope you are doing better.
  • stharrison23
    stharrison23 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. I think you will be okay if you take some time off. I recently had to take a break from MFP. I found out something interesting when I did. Although I was not logging in everyday, the habits that I had learned here had become a part of my lifestyle. Everytime I ate a meal, my mind would do a quick calculation on the calories and I would automatically adjust my portions accordingly. The things that we learn here are always with you. Just because you aren't logging everyday doesn't mean that you can't continue to use the things that you have learned. As always you will have some good days and some bad. Focus on the good so that you can more of them. Remember to take care of yourself, even during your grief.

S.
  • sr4ca
    sr4ca Posts: 43
    Options
    So sorry for your loss..................

But.............DO NOT take time off (imoa); why???????????....because this is the one thing that YOU CAN CONTROL.....and believe it or not....you will actually feel better knowing you are controlling at least some part of your life....
  • Kimikaze79
    Kimikaze79 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for you losses. I understand what you are going through. I lost my 3 remaining grandparents within a span of 6 months last year. I had been on a weight loss journey for about 3 years and was the lowest I had been in about 10 years. I am an emotional eater and definitely found myself gaining at this time. I decided to take some time off as I had been going hard for (as I mentioned) years. I did gain some weight back but after a couple of months my mind was back in the right spot. I came out of my slump and got right back into it. Muscle memory is a wonderful thing at times like this, and it did not take long for the weight to start coming back off. I am still not at my goal weight but the break certainly allowed me some time to get my head back into it.
    Take care of your heart and your soul for the time being and, when you are ready, get back to taking care of your body. We are not machines and we all need a break every now and then. I wish you peace and love during your healing process <3
  • carolynkaykerr
    Options
    Part of losing weight and getting physically fit is learning to take care of ourselves.

If you need to take a little time off, then that is what you need to do. My suggestion, though, is to set a definate time when you will get back into the swing of things or 2 weeks could lead to 3, then 4 and so on.

I am sorry for your loss. It is hard giving up the ones we love no matter their age or ours.

Last thing, don't feel guilty for needing to take some time for yourself, hope to see you back soon.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    First off, you have my condolences on both of your family members. I am going through this myself. My nephew took his own life one week ago today, and it is hard for me to get back into my workout. It may be awhile, but I know I will get back on the horse and reach my goal. Good luck.
  • presleytitus
    presleytitus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. I went through something very similar last year with my grandmother and I felt way too overwhelmed so I took a break. My first attempt back in Feb failed and I am just now getting back into the swing of things. I am back almost 22 lbs heavier and regret letting myself go. However I am definitely an emotional and bored eater so my only advise would be to continue food logging- that way you will limit your mindless eating.

I now look back and see that I could have used a regular workout sort of like a treat because a good run or workout tends to take my mind off problems and gives myself a "break."

Again I am so sorry for your loss and I pray that you find a healthy way to cope. Remember the love and memories you shared and just how much you were blessed to have them in your life. Feel free to add me if you like. :flowerforyou:
  • acm130
    acm130 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    The loss of a family member is sad and dealing with the family dynamic in the wake of that loss can provide additional stress. I am sorry for your sadness. You have to permit yourself to grieve and to heal. My grandma passed away this winter, it was not unexpected (she lived a wonderful, richly fulfilling, long life went Home at age 97!) so my sadness was more in relation to my Dad's grief.... A few years ago (this august will be 2 years) my 7 year old nephew lost his battle with cancer, it was a time of emotional upheaval for our entire family... but I have to say working out and self nurturing were very important for me to cope. During this period you certainly don't need to be restrictive or hypervigilent but please be sure you are providing good care for yourself, physical activity for endorphins:happy: adequate sleep, good nutritious foods that will nourish your body.... God Bless You and your family and do what is best for you.
  • missymuffet459
    Options

But don't stop ...

I absolutely agree with the above post. A few weeks may easily turn into a few month, into years. I know that might sound dramatic but it has happened to me before. I took a weekend off for a trip and it took me over a year to start again.

I think if you have especially had a struggle with emotional eating, right now is when you need to be the most careful. Maybe you can even just count the calories but not stress about your workouts.

I am sorry for your loss.
  • vtpixie
    vtpixie Posts: 39
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear of your losses over the past few months. I wasn't in quite the same situation, but my ex-boyfriend died several years ago and I fell into a depression thinking there should have been something I could do to prevent this. Anyways, during that time I slept a ton, ate very little, and terribly...in the end I gained weight when I started eating properly. I expect if I had the support your getting on here I would have eaten healthier and not gained as much. If you need an ear to listen I'm around.