Trader Joe's

Options

Replies

• LittleMissJDS
    Options
    They have an incredible Indian food selection and they nutritional value is reasonable. My local TJ can not keep the frozen meals in stock so I buy about 10 at a time. My favorite is the Tikki Chicken Masala and their naan.

http://www.whatsgoodattraderjoes.com/2011/02/trader-joes-chicken-tikka-masala.html

And I 100% agree that the http://www.whatsgoodattraderjoes.com/ is absolutely awesome!
  • marz31
    marz31 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    just had the frozen "steak and potatoes" the other night with a side of brussels sprouts (I can't say I recommend the ones we got there, they were quite tough) and it was a great meal for 2. The frozen naan, dangerous! glad I didn't have it last night when I used the precooked fridge chicken (lightly seasoned) to make butter chicken with brown jasmine (from TJs) rice.....nuts are a great price there, enjoying the watermelon I bought there too. Yeah, pretty much everything, but obviously you know that the cookies and candies are "good" but not good FOR you :)
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    Love pretty much all things TJs! No HFCS in any of their foods! Their Greek yogurt is yum as is their organic peanut butter with sea salt and almond butter with flax seeds. I do the majority of my shopping there to be honest.
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    their premade brown rice sushi!
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    We travel almost 2 hours once a month to get to the closest one. Our must haves:
    1. Garlic hummus
    2. Cheese - great prices!
    3. General Tso's sauce - my daughter eats it like ketchup!
    4. Freeze dried strawberries
    5. Cereal (no high fructose corn syrup)
    6. Trader Joe's After Dark coffee beans. Amazing taste, great price.
    7. In the winter, Trader Joe's Winter Blend coffee
    8. Frozen mandarin orange chicken
    9. Tuscan Pane bread - regular and whole wheat
    10. Almond milk
    11. Popcorn popped with Olive oil - really good pre-popped popcorn
    12. Organic peanut butter

Basically, if it's a Trader Joe's brand, it's lovely.
  • sdevan45
    sdevan45 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Sprouted wheat and rye breads. Low in calories, carbs and tasty. It's the Trader Joes brand. I live on this stuff.
  • missmgray
    missmgray Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My must buys at Trader Joe's are:

French roast coffee in the gray bag
    Fat Free french vanilla half and half
    Box of roasted red pepper tomato soup
    Jar of roasted red and yellow peppers
    Valencia peanut butter with whole flax seeds
    Lemon Ginger Echinacea Juice
    For an occasional treat I'll get my husband and I a six pack of the Simpler Times beer. Surprisingly good and potent for the price.

Have fun. Trader Joe's is so fun.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Love Trader Joe's and I go there a few times per month. Here are some items I really enjoy from there:

* Three Grain Tempeh
    * Pacific Chicken Salad (a great, quick lunch with lots of protein and a reasonable calorie count)
    * Reduced Guilt Mac n cheese (best light mac n cheese ever other than homemade)
    * Baked, breaded eggplant cutlets (I use these to make an awesome eggplant parmesan lasagna)
    * Extra Firm Tofu (their brand holds up the best)
    * Bagged baby spinach and salads
    * Creamy, salted peanut butter (great, natural peanut butter)
    * Almond Butter
    * Greek yogurt
    * Trader Joe's brand unsweetened vanilla almondmilk (has a great flavor)
    * Pineapple salsa (just tried this last week, so good and the sodium count is reasonable)
    * Reduced carb, whole wheat tortillas
    * 100 calorie dark chocolate chocolate bars

I could go on and on, but here is a list you can start with. Most of their products in general are delicious. Have fun shopping!
  • Jennifer0878
    Jennifer0878 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Here are some of my TJ's favorites:

TJ's sprouted wheat bread
    Almond butter with sea salt
    Roasted corn and black bean salsa
    Organic unsalted tortilla chips
    Organic frozen strawberries
    Organic wild blue berries
    TJ's table crackers (just like Carr's but $3 less expensive!!)
    TJ's Unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    TJ's southwestern style stuffed chicken breasts
    Any of the TJ's chicken sausages
    Pre-made fresh veggie stir fry kit
    Calbee Snapea Crisps (cheaper at TJ's than the regular grocery store)
    Frozen Chicken Tikka Massala (A staple for when hubby works late and I am low on calories. Sooooo good!)
    Good prices on nuts
    Dark chocolate covered mini pretzels
    Already cooked 1/2 turkey breast (no added salt, no processed stuff, etc.)
    Cheese! (Best prices in town)

Have fun and enjoy Trader Joe's! :)
  • Kailuen
    Kailuen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    hummus!
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's Vanilla Chai Coffee

Make it, and chill it.... it is the BEST iced coffee ever!
  • amanda52488
    amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Wow all of the suggestions are great!!!
    I just got back and absolutely loved it! I wrote down some of the suggestions before I left, here is what I got.

Banana chips, chipotle salsa, orange chicken, fried rice, pot stickers, unsweetened almond milk, frozen wood fired pizza, spicy guacoamole, rice noodles, trail mix, WINE!, cheese puffs...

various produce....
    I know I bought more, just cant think of it! Everything looked greeat, and I was suprised at the prices.
  • krissagray
    krissagray Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the great ideas! Think I will go tomorrow!
  • Curvy_princess
    Curvy_princess Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • kelly1142
    kelly1142 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened vanilla almond milk and their pumpkin seed ciabatta rolls are two of my favorites! Also the 100 calorie dark chocolate bars are great when the sweet tooth hits!
  • JESSJESJ
    JESSJESJ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    pretty much anything I've ever eaten there is fantastic. Some healthier than others, but all tasty. The Roasted Garlic Hummus, in the larger container is my favorite store bought hummus, nuts - some of the best prices on nuts, the pot stickers, chilli corn salsa, appetizers if having a party are great. reduced fat cheese doodles for the junk food craving, butternut squash ravoli, pulled pork. The mac & cheese, while not healthy or low fat in any respect is delicious & there is a reduced fat / guilt one.

clearly i need to eat some dinner soon
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    The Mandarin Orange chicken is to die for. Seriously, better than most restaurants. The one that I go to told me that this particular item is the company's number one bestseller.

The Mochi Ice Cream is delish too :)
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    they have really great prices on cheese and soy milk. my hubby loves their mahi mahi burgers but i have no idea how fattening they are (i don't care for it). whole wheat spaghetti is cheaper than my grocery store. you may find (like i have) that a lot of their stuff is cheaper than a regular grocery store (not walmart). i bought two cans of REAL crab for $1.99 each. have fun!
  • TheFlyingDharma
    Options
    Input from a humble low-carber:

- Smoked salmon ($5 for the cheapest package)
    - Valencia peanut butter with roasted flax seeds
    - Garlic aioli mustard sauce
    - Coconut oil
    - Wasabi roasted seaweed snacks (Acquired taste, but they're a great, light snack if you're into seaweed. $0.99/pack, possibly cheaper at Asian markets.)
    - Some cheeses (Their gorgonzola crumbles in particular are much cheaper than at my other local stores.)
    - Almond meal (Maybe -- Depending on the price of bulk almonds and whether you've got a blender it might be cheaper to make yourself)
  • Mikeman1962
    Options
    This is definitely a “after I reached my goal” treat only… But you must try their Cotswold Double Gloucester (Cheese) with onion and chives. Put it in an omelet (egg whites only :) . It is AMAZING!! Or just plop it on a cracker, you can’t go wrong.