A bit surprised and disappointed

Options
This is not a judgement of anyone or anything. It is simply my opinion as I see things.
I belong to another board where people are so intense in their training and clean eating that I sometimes feel a bit overwhelmed.
But to be honest, I came here hoping to keep my motivation running on high, and maybe meet some new friends.

But it is having the opposite effect, and I think I will either NOT read the boards, or leave this place completely. There are too many posts about how to cheat with foods, how to eat junk, how to do a lot of things that are totally against the positive mindset that I was hoping to find.

I already know how to eat junk food. I know how to not exercise. I know how to lie to myself about what I am doing to keep myself from feeling bad. I don't need encouragement to do those things.

More importantly, I already know how to eat clean and not consume foods that are not clean and healthy. I also already know that you have to work hard and make sacrifices if you want this for a life style instead of a fad of the week.

This surely does not apply to everyone here, but it's getting to be a little more than I care to read on the community boards.
Best of luck to everyone who is trying so hard. You will see the positive changes so don't give up.

Replies

• laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I don't get it... because you don't agree with someone's eating choice you feel it impacts on your motivation and positive mindset? I disagree with lots of things here, and I'll absolutely point out dangerous practices, bad science, pointless use of supplements, etc, etc, but it's not going to affect me save for a little eyerolling and smirking.

Maybe you need to work on understanding why other people's lives affect your own in such a negative way rather than obsessing about your diet. Or it could be that obsessing about your diet is making you hostile toward ideas that aren't in line with your own.

Still, best of luck! Here's hoping you don't accidentally binge on your own sense of smugness regarding your perfect eating habits and gain 10kg of ego. That'd weigh a person down.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Let me get this straight...

You are basically disgusted to the point of being unable to even read the forums because some people here have the AUDACITY to actually enjoy some foods every now and then while maintaining weight loss?

I am sorry, but this is not the place for die hard crashing to your lowest weight. This is about life long changes to positively affect one's health and weight. Any diet that says "No X EVER OR ELSE!" is one that simply will not work. Period.

Believe it or not, it IS possible to maintain a health body and even lose weight while enjoying ALL foods. Moderation and accountability are key.
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    There is kind of a different mindset here compared to other weight loss boards. The other weight loss boards I have been to kind of stress a more good calories/bad calories mindset- ie, less (or no) grains, no processed foods, only veggies, fruits, nuts, and lean protein (some are a little less conservative and say fatty protein is fine) with the idea that what you eat should be based not on a strict calorie count but also on the effect each food would have on your blood sugar/insulin (which is why grains, even whole unrefined grains, are demonized due to high glycemic count).

Myfitnesspal on the other hand tends to stress merely a calorie deficit (any combination of any food/exercise that creates a deficit) as well as everything in moderation. I have noticed though that when anyone mentions low carb anything people jump all over that poster and I don't really see why.
  • FatStoatLondon
    FatStoatLondon Posts: 197 Member
    Options

Still, best of luck! Here's hoping you don't accidentally binge on your own sense of smugness regarding your perfect eating habits and gain 10kg of ego. That'd weigh a person down.

ROFLMAO! My thoughts exactly.
  • StormyGal8
    StormyGal8 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I am wondering how one cheats on food....eating cardboard?

It's all food, and I for one am looking to learn how to live a new lifestyle. One that includes healthier eating habits, but also one that makes room for "wing night with the girls" or "pizza night".

I don't think that makes me wrong. I think it makes me a realist. I can't imagine my life without having a little chocolate once in a while, or a burger occassionally...to me, that's NORMAL living. It's about ensuring that I learn how to do it in a way that's not going to put weight back on (portion control, and limiting occassions where junk food is eaten).

We all live our own lives, our own way. This site should be about SUPPORTING, not about judging.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    She left. Deactivated. Must have been that 150 calorie ice cream cone I had the other day that scared her off.
  • StormyGal8
    StormyGal8 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    the other day? More than likely it's the 150 calorie cone I have 3x a week :P
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    This surely does not apply to everyone here, but it's getting to be a little more than I care to read on the community boards.
    Best of luck to everyone who is trying so hard. You will see the positive changes so don't give up.

I can understand her reasoning that sometimes here on the boards there is some crazy advice and opinions, but if she already knows how to eat so well, then why is she worried? If you don't like it, then don't read it!!! Simple as that. Stay off the boards if you can't handle it.

This post was dumb. She could have just left without all this fuss.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Wow, i dont know what part of the boards youre in
  • joanie1313
    joanie1313 Posts: 17
    Options
    I find all the posts inspirational. I am just starting and don't want to do the ice cream and the cakes and what not just yet cause if I have one then I have two and so on. I need to try to stay away from all that until I get an action plan going for myself then I will stick in a treat here and there because I will know better how to manage it and still loose. I read as many posts as I can and I get a little something out of each one. Too bad she felt that way cause I really think all the stories success or not are helping me to stay on target.